Author Topic: Faulty Power Jack 24v 5000watt split phase 110/240V,Please help.  (Read 2770 times)

fabieville

I have a 24v 5000watt split phase 110/240V power jack inverter.

I notice that whenever it is turn on and you are drawing load and the battery is charging. Once the battery reaches about 26.5V or sometimes around 27V it starts to beep and after several seconds it cuts off the output but it is still on but no output.

During the beeping stage the output voltage is fine until it auto cutoff the output. You have to turn it off and turn it on back to get it back to work normal. If the inverter is on and no load is been drawn and the voltage keeps on rising up it does not cutoff the output until it passes 30vdc which is normal for most 24v inverter. So I am wondering if is the load on the inverter causing the premature alarm.

I saw on the net where i see the specs for it and it shows that the high voltage alarm is 27V. So is that the max input voltage it can handle? because if that is the case that  is very low as most 24v inverters go up to 30vdc max. I am wondering if the specs is accurate that I saw as it was for the 6000watt version.

The thing that puzzle me is that if it starts to beep around 26.5V or even little higher and you turn it off and turn it on back or you wait till the output auto cutoff it will continue to work little longer even thou the voltage rise pass the voltage it cutoff the last time. So basically if the battery is at 28v for eg. and you turn on the inverter it will continue to work until after awhile it starts to beep and then the output is cutoff. It appears to me that there is no set high voltage cutoff level.

I am wondering if the issue is been cause from the rising of the battery voltage under load or without load or it is cause from high temperature during the 26.5v stage or higher and because maybe when it reaches this voltage level and load is been pulled the fan does not chip in same time hence it cause the alarm to comes on and then the output is cutoff after several seconds as pass.

I can't figure out the root of the problem?

Can someone help me in this regards please? changing the control board would resolve my issue?
Running the fan continuous would resolve it if its a temperature issue?

Also is the fan that come in this inverter a 12v or 24v type?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Faulty Power Jack 24v 5000watt split phase 110/240V,Please help.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
The root of the problem is that the inverter is a Power Jack. ;)

There are internal adjustments for cutoff and alarms on most inverters. If you got a repair manual with the inverter, it may show where the trim pot is. There is an review of one of your units on youtube. The buyer had to do some repairs straight out of the box and was a bit suprised that the maker included a repair manual.

The specs I see on eBay say the alarm goes off at 29v and the unit cuts off >30v.

If that is the correct range I would still consider that too low for a lead acid battery bank. Our forklifts need at least 30.6v for a weekly equalize.

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »
There are lots of threads for power jack problems on various boards, a little too low brow for talk though.  I've never seen one of these. If I didn't want to do a lot of circuit sniffing I would do this.  If it has a simple on/offs witch connected to the DC, just add a diode in series with the switch.  This will raise the cut off voltage 0.7V.

fabieville

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:49:27 PM »
If it has a simple on/offs witch connected to the DC, just add a diode in series with the switch.  This will raise the cut off voltage 0.7V.

Which on/offs switch you are talking about the one that you you use to turn off the inverter?

if yes how exactly do I include it in the inverter, how to position it.

Please explain in more detail. Suppose  I want to raise it pass 0.7v up to about 2 or 3volts how do i go about it?

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:36:03 AM »
"I have a 24v 5000watt split phase 110/240V power jack inverter."

There are probably about twenty power jack inverters that meet that description.  An internal picture might help.

For at least the inverters I have used, there is a switch that powers the internal control electronics.  This switched power is where the control electronics senses the voltage. This switch only passes less than an amp for the control electronics and fan.  The high current inverter FET are powered all the time.

The control electronics is regulated to a much lower voltage so an additional voltage drop doesn't matter.  Placing a 1A silicon diode in the proper direction will drop the voltage about 0.7V.  Schottkey diodes will be about 0.25V of drop.  Raising the upper voltage also raises the lower voltage.  You could quickly be in trouble again.  Going 2-3V sounds like a stretch.  Maybe up to a volt will probably work.

Powerjack always seems to have a lot of second thoughts on their boards with a lot of mods.  Anotherpower and backshed seem to have people who have worked these issues.

fabieville

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
how do i go about disabling/removing/adjusting the overvoltage protection on the control board? Where exactly on the board i would find that section or which chip would deal with that?

I am guessing if that section is disable i could be able to use the inverter with a voltage rising up to about 29v?

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 04:11:50 AM »
Hi fabieville,

As OperaHouse says......
"Powerjack always seems to have a lot of second thoughts on their boards with a lot of mods.  Anotherpower and backshed seem to have people who have worked these issues."

The Australian 'Backshed Forum' has a lot of Info on the PowerJacks.

At one time we used the biggest 48v 230vac PowerJack PCB's and modified accordingly. However we found Quality control and availability of the Chinese PCBs a real problem.

In the end we developed our own simple and robust OzControl PCB, 6Kw-15kW Power Board PCB and the Ozcooling PCB for the DIY (make your own) OzInverter.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

fabieville

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 03:12:30 AM »
Recently the inverter stop working. I heard a loud bang sound from it and immediately there was no output. When i open it i discovered about 8 fets got damage. I change all of the fets a total of 24.
I turn it on after the repair and it came on but with no output. On the LCD shows that it is drawing about 550watt which currently I do not have any load on it and it shows about 27vac output.

When  i test the output with my multimeter I don't get reading. I am wondering if something got damage on the control board as well or maybe the transformer got damage?

At the time when the loud bang occur i was drawing just some small loads just about 200watt and there wasn't any form of short circuit or overload in the house so i am kinda confused as to how the fets got damage.

Could it be the that the control board is giving problems as well or is it that the transformer got damage?

I examine the transformer and i don't see any form of damage I only notice that it has 5 wires coming from it. 2 heavy gauge wires and 3 smaller gauge wires and when you test them with the multimeter I get open/continuous reading on all of them. The transformer is a toroid design, is this a normal reading for it?