Author Topic: charging using a small wind turbine  (Read 2544 times)

zoran

charging using a small wind turbine
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
Is it possible to charge a battery array using a very small wind turbine that would be running 24/7? Im asking this so i can understand if such a connectivity would be able to fill/charge a battery.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: charging using a small wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
Check this link-

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=146723.0

What you want is a stator with 3 coils and 4 magnets or 8 magnets.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »

zoran

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
Thanks JW, excuse me for my inadequate knowledge, im no expert, but im not sure if i made my question clear enough. Suppose i have a small generator to charge my batteries, will it be enough to just turn, or should it also be big enough in size/specs to "push" the power into the batteries?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:07:58 AM by zoran »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
I sent a PM which may help

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
Zoran has pm'd me and is asking about 12v system using a small wind turbine. Basically he has questions about where to start.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 12:17:05 PM »
Zoran asked me to share the pm

==============
Quote from: JW on Today at 09:07:02 AM
Well that's one thing we have is theoretical info  I just figured you wanted an easy out. Ask for info in your topic and you will get good results.

Well what kind of info do you think i can get for my question? I mean, what else should i say? You think im not explanatory enough?

==============================

Just be patient Zoran they will get around to it
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:28:21 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »
I have been pouring thru old posts all day and have a list of things to consider. The reason nobody is replying is because there are a lot of variables. It kind of like finding a needle in a hay stack.

1. to say I want a 12 volt machine to charge a battery is too vague.

2. when my battery is charged what should I use to dump load (like a heater etc)

3. what is my cut-in speed this is vary much controlled by the impendence of my coils :ie what is the projected rpm that I expect to make power.

4. TSR

5. how is the stator to be rectified? 1 phase 3 phase star delta etc.

6. when does furling take place, how do you intend to shut the machine down in the event of over-speed.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 11:57:19 PM »
What is the fieldlines.com forum all about?
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,143583.msg966463.html#msg966463

We all had to start someplace, so do not be afraid of asking a question that is "too dumb".  Sometimes new questions are a bit too broad to be answered, or the person asking hasn't done enough research.  Please don't be offended - we aren't.  Even when that happens, usually the "newbie" is offered a few places to start his search.  May a long and rewarding education follow this first footstep!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:46:00 AM by JW »

zoran

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 06:02:10 AM »
JW... i cannot express my gratitude other than say a big THANKS for your time and research. I think a like button, or something else, should be implemented by the admins in this forum if possible. Thanks again  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:08:39 AM by zoran »

jenkinswt

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 09:28:14 AM »
I haven't replied yet, figured I would let the more experienced but here's what I would do. Break it down into different stages of what your trying to accomplish.

Filling a battery with a small wind generator would be easy if there is nothing using power from the battery, this is where you should start first. Figure out your loads that your going to draw from it and how long the battery can hold a charge in between wind. The wind is not steady 24/7.

Once you know what you want to power and how much battery you need in between wind then I guess you can figure out what size of "small wind generator" you need. I would stay away from the real cheap looking ones and find something reliable or if you are up to it build a small one.

Theres a lot of other little stuff to figure out but you have to start somewhere and break it down smaller than the entire project.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »
On my non commercial website www.kdwindturbines.nl you can find my free public report KD 341 in which the history of the development of the VIRYA PM-generators is described. Essential for the correct generator choice is that the characteristic of the generator for the chosen load matches to the characteristic of the windmill rotor. To realise acceptable matching, you need to have enough knowledge of the wind turbine and the generator. Matching is explained in chapter 8 of my free public report KD 35.