Author Topic: Question about weatherization  (Read 3068 times)

jlsoaz

Question about weatherization
« on: December 30, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
Hi -

Someone I know has a unit in a multi-story building.  The heat is central in the building, but the AC equipment seems to be specific to their unit.  The building is a co-op.  I've noticed during this cold spell here in the US that an area behind one interior door, near the AC, is extraordinarily cold. 

I've tried to suggest a professional energy auditor (or similar) be brought in to help assess if any measures can be recommended to revise the setup of the AC Unit (perhaps as a seasonal measure, or perhaps as a permanent measure).  Or, perhaps something else that I don't understand should be done.  I don't have any really good knowledge of weatherization matters.  I do see some information at energy.gov, but still, maybe there are folks here who can provide some insight.

So, the question becomes - any pointers from the folks here as to weatherization, particularly as to winter/cold matters?

Maybe it's not important, but I think I've seen a neighbor in Arizona putting some sort of covering on a roof HVAC-related unit during winter.  Not sure.  (On my own house, the heat pump doesn't have ventilation, so I guess that's why it's not something that has come up).

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Question about weatherization
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »
Have them build a simple cover to put over the AC unit on the inside. I re-purposed a Styrofoam cooler that had meat shipped in it to cover mine. 2" thick foam walls so around R-12 or so. Also blocks air entry, most AC units leak air badly.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:08:05 PM »
Mary has put her finger on the usual culprit - air leaks.  Try to put a stop to leaks both in and out.
Before you spend a lot of money for a professional opinion, there are plenty of things you can do yourself.
A few tools that are cheap and easy to use:
  • Laser thermometer - find the coldest spot on the wall/floor/surface
  • thin (1 mil) poly sheeting - trim to fit over a window frame and tape around it, if it bulges then it's holding back a leak you need to fix
  • Neoprene foam strips - some have self-adhesive backing - stick to door jambs to fill the gaps
  • Expanding spray foam, magic stuff
BTW, it's -33C (-27F) here right now.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

jlsoaz

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 11:04:35 PM »
Ok thanks.  I think the hard part will be the human part - I can't get them to listen to me, but yes, the technical recommendations make sense.

MattM

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »
Allison Bailes has a blog that will interest you.

http://www.energyvanguard.com

jlsoaz

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 02:07:43 AM »
Allison Bailes has a blog that will interest you.

http://www.energyvanguard.com

Ok, thanks.