Author Topic: 3D printer  (Read 4535 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
3D printer
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
I am wondering if one of the users Has a large 3D printer size.

I am able to use step files. I will make 3D model so you can get a better idea

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 3D printer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 12:06:29 AM »
Whatcha making?  Are you talking plastic or metal?  Size, purpose, etc.?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
Hi Sparweb,

Im using solidworks to generate a CAD file that can be 3D printed (plastic). My goal is to bend a metal pipe using a cad file. I want to do test runs with the plastic mock up, to check the fit.

In this way I can perfect a file that I can send out to the metal bender.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 06:55:32 PM »
Got a screen capture, to illustrate what you mean to make?
If you have solidworks, and you are very disciplined in your creation of control geometry, then your bend instructions to the shop are captured in the CAD file; no need for a plastic print.
That doesn't mean some folks won't find a 3d-print helpful to visualize what you need, if the pipe geometry is complicated.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »
Quote from: Sparweb
then your bend instructions to the shop are captured in the CAD file

Yes that's correct.  The problem is that I am trying to mate to begin and end point. So I need a physical mock up to check the actual fit of those points. I am bending 1 in pipe so Im not going to get any wiggle room, and need to perfect the cad file, then I can send the file to the bender.

I will see about showing a picture, I was working on the cad file for this weekend but its 2016 solidworks Im used to solidworks 2000. There are some neat things you can do with solidworks I may be able display an actual 3D model. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 12:18:22 AM »
I don't mean you to over-think it.
The PrintScreen key... paste into Paint...
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »
Im not happy with the 3D model at this point when I get something that looks good I will do a screen shot. Just give me time to finish the drawing.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
Seeing what's going on the back side of the forum is motivating me to finish this model, cool stuff  8) going on. I have a really busy work schedule tomorrow so most likely after thx giving     

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »
Jw translating from 3d modeling in solidworks to the real world does not always go exactly as expected.
 Bending pipe is one of these areas unless you are using DOM tubing and the bends are drawn over a mandrel as well then there will be other factors at play such as spring back, radius crush, and deformation, thickness variations  from stretch and so forth.
 I started out with solidworks 98 the version 2013 Sp4 was my last upgrade as after retiring I could no longer justify the cost
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

TechAdmin

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 11:06:40 PM »
So we have a new kinda cool feature I'd say 8) Enable Flash for this specific site and you should be able to see it :)

Jeremy asked me to post this as an example btw :D

Note: for the time being it's admin-only because it would be a security issue otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:12:06 PM by TechAdmin »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 01:22:07 AM »
Looks like you are all having lots of fun!

The shape I see now (November 20, 2018, 11:16) is a helix with a constant ~6d bend radius and ~2d advance.
No need for a 3D print to convey to the bending shop what you want.  This shape is very common.
Solidworks can quickly generate a print drawing with flat and isometric views and dimensions to convey all the info the shop needs.

Seamless tubing is the only thing that will work.  You've referred to "pipe" in all of your previous posts.  That will not bend well.
The bend radius you are using is 6d, where "d" is the outside diameter of the tube. 
That is a minimum for successful bends in the best of tubing, at the best of times. 
Heat does not always help, because it cannot be evenly applied without an oven.
A helix like that needs a "lead-in" on each end, which will be straight, at least 6d long.  Cut off the lead-ins when fitting it up later.
www.sparweb.ca