Author Topic: NdFeb vs. SmCO Magnets  (Read 2396 times)

kitestrings

NdFeb vs. SmCO Magnets
« on: August 19, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: NdFeb vs. SmCO Magnets
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »
Are you looking at them for corrosion resistance?

The price of SmCo has really come down.   Maybe someday I will, but not yet.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:37:32 AM »
I thought that samarium cobalt magnet are especially chosen for very hot environments.

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 04:41:07 PM »
I thought that samarium cobalt magnet are especially chosen for very hot environments.

They reportedly maintain their magnetic properties at high temps, and have better environmental resistance to corrosion.

The latter is my interest/motivation.

I did recently find a 1.5" x 3" x .75" block NdFeb that has a countersunk mounting hole, but to me that is one more place the weather and corrosion might get a start.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
Before deciding what to do, I would like to know what the corrosion is like on the rotor you are taking down now.
Is it too early to blame the NdFeB material, or could you discover a way that the protection failed to protect them.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 10:50:41 AM »
Is it too early to blame the NdFeB material

Yes, for sure.  Once I get the thing down we can get a better assessment.

On the CMS Magnets site this caught my attention:
Neodymium also has a limitation in that it does not fare well in the weather.  In a year of being outside with normal rain, cold & heat it will crumble and disintegrate. 

I know in salt air conditions there have been some issues, but I had never seen this stated quite so plainly.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 09:01:39 AM »
Plain.  But incomplete.
What surface protection was used?
Is CMS Mags admitting that the mags they supply have ineffective surface plating?

NdFeB is made as sintered powder blocks, which is probably the most vulerable form to corrosion.  Plating is only one step to protect them.  The bonding on the rotor also matters.  So do the primer and paint layers.  Additional sealant may be used.
Each  one of these materials has a chemistry that can be chosen specifically to improve the odds of survival.
www.sparweb.ca