Author Topic: Wind & controller functionality  (Read 868 times)

kitestrings

Wind & controller functionality
« on: March 01, 2021, 05:26:07 PM »
We've had some pretty fierce winds lately.  I like to watch, learn and tweak things.

We were getting good steady winds in the afternoon on Saturday.  I've found that when the batteries are getting up, or we have a combination of wind and PV, that I can sometimes harvest more production by increasing the differential of the diversion.  We are using a function on the Classic's called "Waste-Not"; in this case Waste-Not High.  The idea is that you choose an offset relative to your charge points.  Here you can see we're getting ~2.3 kW and the batteries are at 58.7V.  I have the off-set at about -3V.  The temp-compensate setting is ~60.3V, so at 58.3V we are putting near full "On" power to the water heater - not much but it is another 1,200 watts or so.  Diversion is on Aux 2 on the right-hand controller.
13905-0

This is all well and good.  I can hear the controller's PWM buzzing as the wind fluctuates higher, and the elements are loaded more and more. Then, I start to hear what has become a recognizable sound – I know you all too would recognize – it's the freight-train/jet engine cross, when the wind really reaches apex; and stays there.  This all happens remarkably fast, but I tried to capture it.

Here, the controller on the left is just coming out of "current limit"; that is the amber light you see.  It does not allow this controller to normally take more  than 40A, or about 2.5 kW, at which point it shares any above that with the second unit.
13906-1
I missed the peak slightly, but notice too that both Aux 2 (diversion), and Aux 1 (red LED) are on.  This is because we just crossed 121V into the controller for ~3-seconds.  Aux 1 has initiated the tail furling.

The logs capture the peaks

The amber light is the second Aux 2, it connects the 3-ph output to our resistor load bank, adding braking.
13907-2
13908-3
13909-4

The winds are forecast to be notably higher tonight.  We're well charged, and will sit this one out.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Wind & controller functionality
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 10:43:56 PM »
The amber light is a "happy" light.

While checking on the batteries every evening for several days, I've been hearing the diversion load running, too.  It's a nice sound, but it does mean "Not used", unlike your water-heater.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:33:29 AM »
6037w  wow that is unreal.  You've got this thing tuned up.

I will read through the programming tips again. 

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 03:22:14 PM »
I really like the idea of heating water, except for that, once the tank is hot the load goes away.

The 3-ph load bank is in our basement/crawl space which is insulated, but stays roughly near the ground water temps, so probably ~45 degF this time of year, so it does have some benefit.  Maybe I should be just looking to add load a bit sooner here.  Currently I have this one set around 112V with a width of 2V.

Frankly, I’d prefer to stay lower on the first unit.  As it is, I think of the Classic's (250) at these voltage parameters as being good for about 55A, and I’m current limiting to 40A.  It just amazes me how fast the thing can spin up with the right (or wrong) combination of wind gusts.

There's much more potential there, but I think it is best to pick when to run, and when to quietly wait things out at times for more normal conditions.  Last night and today was a prime example.  Howling winds all night, and still pretty high today.  And, it is a cold, but bright sunny day.  Left it furled for the day.

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 08:33:32 AM »
...one thought I've considered, is to add a resistor/heater of equivalent load to the water heater element(s) off a DPDT switch or relay, such that there is always a known amount of diversion load.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 01:32:00 PM »
That seems like a very good idea, but then you have to be prepared to just very occasionally be suddenly making a lot of hot air, not setting fire to things etc.  And keeping all contacts tight and so on for rare uses...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 06:10:35 PM »
Great to see a home build turbine cranking out those sorts of numbers, bravo !!!