Author Topic: Magnet Placement to Increase Area Sq  (Read 828 times)

GreenTeam

Magnet Placement to Increase Area Sq
« on: April 08, 2021, 04:25:46 AM »
My magnet collection I have are decent enough to use in a build. I think they are anywhere from N42 to N48 from using K & J Magnets calculators.
But, to use them really well, I am going to have to stack them which isn't a problem. What is a problem is that I am really restricted to coil sizes due to the
length not being long enough. They are 14.5 mm wide & 20 mm long by 3 mm thick. What I would like to do is increase the length by up to 3x the original length.
I suspect I should be using longer magnets for my coils. The issue I cant seem to work out is placing the magnets so they are snug to each other, with out a gap.
And both the magnets polarities facing the same direction. When ever I try to accomplish this, the magnets always blast each other away from their positions.
Even if I use Gorilla Glue Gel, which, hardens almost instantly, I cant seem to have them placed securely. At least not for any length of time.

Would it be alright to have something like a magnetically conductive piece in between the magnets? So they don't blast each out of their final resting places.
Or do others just clamp them down and hope for the best? There must be a way to use magnets with themselves to increase either the width, length and thickness.

Ultimately, I would love to have triangular magnets of about 10 CM long and 1.5-2.5 CM wide at the outside radius, and 1 CM wide at the inside radius. Has anyone ever seen any
stores online or off that sell a magnet that fits my description?
Thank you have mind for your inputs!

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Magnet Placement to Increase Area Sq
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »
I was building with chopped up hard drive magnets for a long time and using old table saw blades for backing plate. I found if i built a non magnetic disk with slots cut out for the magnets, it would help hold them in place while the glue set up . i found placing a strip of steel across both mags as the glue set up to help stop the mags from jumping out of place. Its very difficult to get anything magnetic (iron filings) to stay in the cracks between the mags. it wants to migrate to the top surface..

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 08:21:16 PM »
Slow down, take your time.  Glue one magnet down, do what you need to do to clamp it in place with wooden blocks or plastic sheet against the magnet directly.  Let that one magnet set, come back when the adhesive is cured, and put on the next one. 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

GreenTeam

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 02:56:10 PM »
I have been studying a really neat paper

https://ietresearch.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1049/iet-rpg.2019.0908

It is about coil dimensions to magnet dimensions. And how improperly formed coils that bulge out reduce output by
as much fifteen pecent! And it can introduce knocking or vibrations.

Basically, the bottom line is, to maximize flux capture, the coils must be 180 degrees to the magnet or bad things start.
So by this science study, I should be using rectangle coils. BUt, that isnt very conducive to a disc layout :(

Is it possible to alter the field shape with additive engineering?

What I am thinking is that I really want to use trapazoid magnets to get optimal results and performance.
And to accomplish that, I was thinking up a method to turn rectangle shape magnets to trapazoid
And to do this, I would 3d print the size of the trapazoid magnet, and to the thickness I require, a hollow shape.
And stick two magnets in it , centered. And than use steel wool which is really magnetic, and mix it with epoxy so its really thick
with steel wool clippings. Clippings as fine as I can make them also.
And than pour it over the magnet, until I get desired depth and shape. Once epoxy is set and really hard, I should have a magnetic field shaped
like a trapazoid. Has anyone ever tried such a thing? I have been researching it and I think it may be promising.

I think I am going to go ahead and try it with a teensy 4 pole generator.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 03:59:53 AM »
Earlier you have shown us pictures of a hoover board motor. The magnets of this motor were also placed with no distance in between the magnets so mounting must be possible but it might be that one uses a robot which places all 30 magnets in one big move. Placing of those magnets one by one by hand seems really difficult to me.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 09:28:38 AM »
as i recall you have a lot of tiny magnets. you can make a trapezoidal shape pole using two mags as in the capital letter "T"

GreenTeam

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 04:58:34 PM »
Yes I can make a "T". And that was one of my earlier ideas. But, I run into the issues of them blasting each other away from their positions before I can get them secured. The clamps I do have would probably break them I think. Unless, I sandwich them in between something first.

MattM

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 09:20:42 PM »
Sounds like a radial motor at that point. 

GreenTeam

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 11:57:00 PM »
Sounds like a radial motor at that point.

Now that I have thought about in great detail, and I even 3d printed test stators out of PLA. To print one with Iron Filled PLA, and wrap with electrical tape.
But as it is, I already had a bunch of radial alternators in the form of hoberboard motors. With the bearings installed and all. Its just, I already gutted them all,
drilled the bearings out, used acetone and removed all the magnets. Unwound all the magnet wire, untwisted the bifilar strands, ran them through a straightener, and joined them all
end to end, and wound them all on larger spools. Messed around with the electrical sheets, they were to bent out of wack t reuse., So, doing a radial isnt in my mind anymore.