Author Topic: Jacobs hits 1800 watts in latest wind event  (Read 2393 times)

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
Jacobs hits 1800 watts in latest wind event
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:39:21 AM »
   Well, the Jacobs hit 1800 watts Sunday.  We had gale force winds on Saturday night and all day Sunday.  I checked the output when I woke up on Sunday and it was locked at zero/zero (amps and volts).  I looked outside to make sure we didn't have a lull in the wind and it was spinning near max speed.  Larry's controller had a 35 amp fuse in it and it blew.  I installed a 50 amp fuse and saw 40 amps at 45 volts.  Glad the variable pitch hub works.  Wonder what would happen to a turbine without speed control if it went off line in winds like that?  Anyway, if I have 20-30% line losses in my 250' of wiring (as noted by Dan), then the unit could have been putting out 2200 watts or better at the generator.  I must be close to the factory airfoil with the blades too (was concerned about duplicating them).

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Jacobs hits 1800 watts in latest wind event
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:28:55 PM »
Sounds good, what size jake is that again?
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:35:01 AM »
1800 watt

clintonbriley

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »
Hey Tom,
     It's good to hear you got the Jacobs working up to it's full potential.  You posted that you
were considering upgrading to a 2500 watt jacobs.  B529 indicated that the blades are the same
as the ones you made.  Are the hubs interchangeable as well?
Clint

B529

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:23:46 AM »
Tom, good to hear you are hitting that output! Do you have anemometer on your tower?

Agree about having a governing system that controls RPM's unloaded.

Clint, hub/governor and lots of other parts are interchangeable with the short and long case. Post/saddle is different, that's about it.

Kevin

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:41:57 AM »
No anometer.  I'm almost reconsidering trying the 2500 watt, now that I have this 1800 watt working at full potential.

Tom

jarrod9155

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
Does it , or has it help keep your solar tank heated in the winter months . Have you seen any temp rise in the water when there has been no sun but been windy ? I have a similar size water tank and turbine and was thinking of trying a heating element in the tank .

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
I am pleased you have got it working properly.

I think your early troubles were related to holding the output volts low, possible bu the wrong choice of load resistor.

Now that you have got up to 45v you have full field and can get it to work as intended. i am sure you have a fair bit of line loss but that has less effect as you raise the load voltage.  Just make sure you don't cook the field, if you can keep that safe the armature will be ok.

Flux

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
Does it , or has it help keep your solar tank heated in the winter months . Have you seen any temp rise in the water when there has been no sun but been windy ? I have a similar size water tank and turbine and was thinking of trying a heating element in the tank .

I did just that this past weekend.  I bypassed my DHW from the solar tank, shutoff the zone from my wood stove, and turned off the circ pump for the hydronic and hot tub in my basement.  In the first hour the temp came up about 2 degrees on 425 gallons of water.  I was pretty excited.  I left to plow out my truck dealership; was gone for at least 5 hours, and came back ant the temp was lower than it started?????  The wind was blowing good the whole time.  The only thing I can think of that would effect the outcome of that test is the way my hydronic is plumbed to my basement.  My garage (and solar tank) are 7' below my basement (it's an underground garage with only the doors exposed to the outdoors.  I noticed this summer if I didn't turn off the ball valves to my hydronic system, I was getting a thermosyphon effect to those fin tubes in the basement, much like a thermosyphon solar collector.  For the test this weekend, I forgot about the possibility of that happening, and throwing off my test results.  I also have never checked on what the rate of heat loss is on the tank when nothing is pulling heat off it.

Guess the long and short is; I'm not sure what the actual production of the heating elements are.

Sorry.

Tom

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:05:55 PM »
I am pleased you have got it working properly.

I think your early troubles were related to holding the output volts low, possible bu the wrong choice of load resistor.

Now that you have got up to 45v you have full field and can get it to work as intended. i am sure you have a fair bit of line loss but that has less effect as you raise the load voltage.  Just make sure you don't cook the field, if you can keep that safe the armature will be ok.

Flux

Flux,

Thanks.  Larry was restricting the maximum voltage until he was comfortable with the whole setup.  He raised the voltage, rewired the heating elements, and I adjusted the flyweights since the low output was reported earlier.  That combined with good winds must be why I've now seen maximum output. 

I've actually got Larry looking at the threads on this now.  Maybe we can get him to come out of his self imposed silence.  His electrical knowledge would certainly be an asset to this forum.

Tom