Remote Living > Lighting

Tell me about cold-cathode lights

(1/3) > >>

tawa:
Looking for info on building my own cold cathode light. What do I need? Sounds like they run off 12v, so I'd need a wall wart to plug into 110v US electricity, right?

Do they use AC or DC?

Do I need any other resistors, capacitors, etc?

I'd need a switch too.

Is there a website for CCF beginners?
I'd like to put some under a kitchen cabinet, or in a closet.

Thanks all.

drdongle:
Cold Cathode Fluorescent lamps require a high voltage to operate, this can be supplied by a DC upverter power supply, which can be home built. CCF lamps do not put out a lot of light though. If you have a scanner for your computer it probably has a CCF Lamp. Most of the units I have seen available surplus are 5 watts or so.
Check out <www.allelectronics.com> they have CCFL's and power supplies for same.
Carpa Vigor
Dr.D

nothing to lose:
Check out computer stores online! :)

Cold cathode light kits at bestbyte.net and come with everything you need except the 12V battery or power supplie.
http://www.bestbyte.net/Category.cfm?CategoryID=28&Keyword=

"Deluxe White Cold Cathode Light Kit w/ Dual Capable Boxed Inverter, $4.99"

Extra tubes cost $2.99

$5 flat rate shipping.
Specifications

Length: 12.25 inches of pure light.

Diameter: .25 inches

Encased in a 100% acrylic shell, enabling 360 degrees of light

Special coated 12V inverter for safety.

Average Current Demand +- 350mA at 12VDC.

Average Current Demand +- 4.3w.

High-Quality Jam-Nut Switch installs quickly and Easily

Long Lifespan
 I ordered here several times, not afilliated or getting any kick backs, just a good place to buy these things. Kinda high on other stuff, but fans, lights, and other mod type items there pretty good one normally.
I use them in vans and cars and such. Of course in custom computers I build also :)

I never tried the white, but a red one I had was very bright (more than I wanted at the time). I use the UVs alot and of course those don't make much light, just make my cables glow nicley.

tawa:
Thanks for the info. I'm in the US. Is Bestbyte in the US also?

nothing to lose:
Yes, bestbyte.net is around Houston Texas somewhere as I recall. I have also ordered stuff from Directron.com (I think that's the correct spelling) also from around houston tx. They have alot of good prices also on most computer items, I think the lights were good prices, but I liked prices at bestbyte better for fans and lights and the flat rate $5 shipping.
Either place I been happy with, though I buy bigger items like cases, system boards ect.. from directron.
Most my stuff comes from newegg.com, but I do shop around for the best deals. Never been unhappy with any of those 3 for any reason yet and I buy ALOT.
I don't beleave in ONE STOP shoping normally, because every place has good deals on some items but too high on others, so I compare all the prices and total shiping cost  then order however it comes out best for me price wise.
Newegg.com is normally about the best for everything except small items but you have to watch out for shipping charges if it's not the free shipping, which most of my buys are free shipping from them, though now they do lot of $1 shipping instead of the free they were doing it seems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version