Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

5kw Poncelet Wheel Project

(1/81) > >>

skid:
I thought this site would be a good place to document my build and installation of a Poncelet wheel. I will assemble the wheel and then install it. This will be done in my spare time and will take some time due to the magnitude of the project.

Background:
I live on a fast mountain river. The river bank drops almost straight down at water level and water flow is quite rapid very close to the shore. I  measured 10 feet per second when water levels are low and when levels are higher, well it really flows fast.

This installation will be complex and innovative, and built with top quality materials for longevity. Something I have been planning for and accumulating materials for for years. The wheel will be built of mostly aluminum and stainless steel. The cantilever wheel supporting structure will be 10" diameter stainless steel pipe on a carbon steel stand on a poured concrete base. The generator I am spec'ing is a 5kw 50 rpm PM style.  I have machine shop and welding resources.

The design:
The wheel will be 10 feet in diameter and three feet wide. The 24 buckets are rolled aluminum and the wheel sides are aluminum as well. The wheel and bucket pieces are water jet cut for accuracy and ease of assembly. 8 aluminum angle spokes will be supported on a 6" stainless steel pipe with a 2 3/4 inch (turned down from 6 inch solid steel) stainless steel shaft welded on each end for the bearings. Weight is in the 1000 pound range.

Speed is expected to be in the 10rpm range and a 5:1 sheave and belt drive system will increase the speed to properly drive the generator.

The wheel is mostly designed and prepared for welding. There are still a few things that have to be determined, but I'll tackle those as things progress. I'll be posting pictures and commentary as I get started. Welding will commence soon!

electrondady1:
welcome to the forum  skid. photos, photos.

keithturtle:

--- Quote from: skid on July 23, 2014, 02:06:03 AM ---The wheel will be built of mostly aluminum and stainless steel.

--- End quote ---
Beware the galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals.  Aluminum corrodes [relatively] quickly when bolted to any other metal unless you take steps to electrically isolate them.

Use really big shaft and bearing components, especially if it will freeze.

There's lots of good info here.

Thanks for sharing

Turtle

Mary B:
Aluminum and stainless play well together. if they didn't my antennas(amateur radio operator) would have fallen apart years ago.

skid:
Some pictures

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version