Author Topic: 180v PMDC Stalls  (Read 1240 times)

behoof

180v PMDC Stalls
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »
I've put up for testing a Danfoss PMDC with the specs of

1. 5HP
  2. rpm
  3. v

on a furling mount.

1. volt system
  2. Liberty 1000 100AH in series/parallel

Flexcharge NC25A-24 charge controller

Diversion load

4 Siemens 85w solar panels

C&D AutoReg Float Charger w/Eq (I've got some questions on this too)

I had a 5' aluminum 3 blade here and wanted to use it until I can get something more suitable, like an 8' or 8 1/2' as zubbly had mentioned on IRC. But until then this is what I have. I'm just not a wood carving kinda person so I'm probably going to have to find someone that makes the blades or blade blanks but that's another part of this.

We've had some really great wind here recently and I've got a panel voltmeter and ammeter that agrees with my Fluke that when this PMDC reaches sufficient RPM for 28 +/- volts it just won't go any further. When I benched it with my AC motor and pulley set up it really cranks out the amps but as I say, it seems to stall just below 30volts.

I'm thinking that this blade set just doesn't have the power (sustainable inertia(if that's a correct phrase)) to power it past this point. When at that point and a substantial gust would hit a few times it would go over 30volts and the amps would follow it up but the gusts were short lived. So, at least I've seen it go over 28 or so volts.

Someone on IRC mentioned using a resistive load to allow this to get past this point but I'm still pretty new to this electronically, so I'm not sure what they mean or how I could accomplish this? I'd like to continue using these blades until I can make the change to blades that match this more appropriatly?

behoof

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:26:21 PM by (unknown) »
They're in the wire!!

behoof

Re: 180v PMDC Stalls
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:33:34 AM »
Somehow it looks like I'm saying a 5HP Danfoss PMDC, it's a

1. 1/2 hp Danfoss
  2. volt
  3. rpm

behoof
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 10:33:34 AM by behoof »