Author Topic: PDF patch for Ve6aym  (Read 2043 times)

tecker

• SuperHero Member
PDF patch for Ve6aym
« on: August 10, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »
I have Open Office running an this a nice build Bnd frankly I I'm a sucker for a garden.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/1431/angle_iron_solara.pdf
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:49:02 PM by (unknown) »

ve6aym

Re: PDF patch for Ve6aym
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:12:04 AM »
Hi Tekker.

I do thank you for fixing up the diary entry..I tried editing and pic uploads manually on the board.. In fact it was much more detailed and spend hours typing it up.. only to lose it when hit the submit button..

So, only way I could think of was to create the article in open office and export it as pdf.. Most should be able to read .pdf documents.

I'm sorry pdf is not the accepted submission standard on this board..

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:12:04 AM by ve6aym »

wdyasq

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:33:33 AM »
Ve6aym,

You posted it as an "Open Office" fine in your first post. The board discourages posting in formats requiring special software - Be it something from Redmond or open source.

Ron

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:33:33 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:45:09 AM »
Ve6;

I'm sorry pdf is not the accepted submission standard on this board..

You miss the point. The file you uploaded had an .odt extension. [angle_iron_solara.odt] This is not a common extension for pdf files. If it had the proper extension I would have simply fixed it to be a link.

I know of no "boards" that display pdf files "inline" like the photos do. Usually they are included as a link to download to view separately.

Its tough to educate every unknowing member in all the vagaries of the internet. The instructions seem clear on what type files can be inserted. Did you read them? Probably not, because even if it was a photo it violates the file size limits for image files at 400K bytes. There is also a statement that says "no HTML in intro text" you posted the url in the intro with no text at all, also.

No clue how you decided on the .odt extension? its a new one on me so I figured it was mickeysoft stuff.

Sorry it was all so confusing for you.

PDF is fine just post as a link with the proper extension and it will work fine for you.

Curious method for the rack. I did my 820 watt array with angle iron on a polar tracking mount but much differently.

Tom

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:45:09 AM by TomW »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
The photos would have been the right size I think ( I didn't check)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:47:05 AM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »
Just a quick note .I used the plastic frame before and they deform in cold weather . I picked up some panels real cheap they were orinally from northern .I like to have a little gray day power comming in . Took the plastic off and bonded Aluminum channel in it's stead . Al angle bolted to mount .Another thing that is a good quick add here is braces to the outside rigidity is critical.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:56:56 AM by tecker »

ve6aym

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 11:00:58 AM »
You are correct Tomw..I did send the file as an .odf because when I tried to upload a .pdf file, the board would not recognize it and corrupted it..

However the pics submitted are of a size less than what the max is for this board.

Your instructions are not as clear as you may think for submitting articles..I read them many times and did read the faq entries..very confusing and fragmented for the Newbie.

I am an experienced pc techie and and can pick wings off a fly at forty feet..with just a glance.

enough said...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:00:58 AM by ve6aym »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »
Ve6;

I am an experienced pc techie and and can pick wings off a fly at forty feet..with just a glance.

Curious you don't "get" this, then, being a master of PC trickery?

We all get to believe what we chose to believe, however. No point in debating it, simply repost it properly and leave it at that. Then we can leave teckers post alone.

Personally, I only responded because I closed your post to prevent exactly whats happened in this one. It is actually part of my "job" here trying to keep things on track. I just don't have the personality to coddle people when they tell me "they know" but obviously don't.

I usually blame my dog when I don't want to accept responsibility for mistakes.

So be it.

Tom

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:45:48 AM by TomW »

ve6aym

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 01:19:43 PM »
Greetings TomW,

I do understand that you guys have a lot of work keeping this board up..

Therefore:

Remove my Diary entirely.

Remove my logon name entirely

That should make life much simpler.

Have a great day..

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:19:43 PM by ve6aym »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »
TW carry on . I imagin the guy worked too hard on that project .The guidelines are simple enough . That's what you might call a burr under his blanket.Sorry I poked my head in here . Won't happen again
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:03:27 PM by tecker »

kurt

• website
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »
yawn the the photo uploads bug we are having ate his .pdf version so it don't show up in "my photo uploads but is still there on the server so he cannot upload it again with the same name you can still find it if you know were to look.... and every newbie makes the mistake of posting odd files as photos and posts HTML in the intro nothing to get in a pissing match about....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:12:07 PM by kurt »