Author Topic: Delta, star, Jerry riged?  (Read 18479 times)

oztules

• Village idiot
Re: Delta, star, Jerry riged?
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2006, 08:29:16 AM »
I cant help but agree with you Hannu. If the theretical modelling does not agree with the published results of Hugh, the Dans, Ed lenz's work, etc then we do have to question the validity of the model or the assunptions that went into the inputs. put simply, the model appears to be in a world other than the one we operate within.

the answer lies in the testing. At this stage i'm beginning to lean towards jerryrig. It has merit in stopping resonance within parallel coils for delta. It has merit in being higher in voltage than the equivelent star circuit (twice the turns, but star has only (1.732) times the voltage for double the initial delta turns. he talks of half the current carrying capability wire times twice the length... here's the problem thats four times the resistance of the star network he's talking about. On his gm alt, he will be murdered as the speed increases with four times the resistance of his star wound (two in hand and only half as long as his jerryrig) his power losses will go up as a square function.... yes jerry, if you read this watts = volts squared/resistance  so if you lose say 2 volts through the star coil from resistive losses then the equivelent jerry coil (4Xrestance of star coil) will be 8 volts . suppose for simplicity we said star was 1 ohm then jerryrig would be four ohm .

Watts dissapated in star would be 2 squared / 1= 2 watts lost to heat

watts lost to jerry rig would be  8 squared / 4= 64/4 =16 watts lost to heat for the same current increase.

This horrid result would be because he had only one delta coil in this setup. (gm alt) In the axial flux, he had 3 coils paralled and so his 4 ohms would go back to 1.3 ohms...much more manageable. his initial voltage increase over the star system was 2/1.73 or 1.15 times the star voltage at no load. with his wire choice being so thin, and trippled up, it is still softer on the prop than star in this case, so better lowlevel voltage, and rising until I expect star would in this case overtake jerryrig unlike the proper delta version.

all gets very messy,........... does this make sense hannu?.........oztules

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 08:29:16 AM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

finnsawyer

Re: The story continuse.
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2006, 09:42:54 AM »
This (the last pix) circuit design would also lend itself to a situation where the three phase voltages are a series of positive and negative pulses rather than sine waves.  This situation might arise if one wanted to use fat coils with the magnets spaced farther apart than normal.  Just thought I'd open up a new can of worms.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 09:42:54 AM by finnsawyer »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2006, 04:11:38 PM »
oh dear me Hannu, i appear to have made what we in the business call a very large error.....

"On his gm alt, he will be murdered as the speed increases with four times the resistance of his star wound (two in hand and only half as long as his jerryrig" this is clearly just plain wrong. I have neglected to allow for the second leg of the star which would bring the jerryrig/star resistance ratio back to 2:1 not 4:1 This changes the conclusions considerably.

"so if you lose say 2 volts through the star coil from resistive losses then the equivelent jerry coil (4Xrestance of star coil) will be 8 volts . suppose for simplicity we said star was 1 ohm then jerryrig would be four ohm " ........This would now read jerry coil (2Xresistance of star2 phase leg) will be 4 volts suppose for simplicity we said star was 1 ohm then jerryrig would be TWO ohm (not four)  

"Watts dissapated in star would be 2 squared / 1= 2 watts lost to heat

watts lost to jerry rig would be  8 squared / 4= 64/4 16 watts lost to heat for the same current increase".

changes to

Watts dissapated in star would be 2 squared / 1
4/1 4 watts lost to heat

watts lost to jerry rig would be  4 squared / 2
16/2 8 watts lost to heat for the same current increase.

and then the conclusion will change somewhat

This horrid result would be because he had only one delta coil in this setup. (gm alt) In the axial flux, he had 3 coils paralled and so his 2 ohms would go back to 2/3 ohms...much more manageable. his initial voltage increase over the star system was 2/1.73 or 1.15 times the star voltage at no load. with his wire choice being so thin, and trippled up, it is no longer softer on the prop than star in this case, so better lowlevel voltage,  As power rises, loses in star due to R will be greater than jerry, and the power available through jerryrig will pull away from star provided the prop doesn't stall.

This makes it interesting as the no of parallel coils in jerry rig will change the advantages/ disadvantages of each system. With gm alt, only one set of coils per phase, star should put out more total power but less low power ie 1ohm star, 2ohm jerryrig ..........and 1.15 times star voltage  (jerryrig =star coil length X2    jerryrig
vX2 star=vX1.73 so 2/1.73= 1.15 advantage to jerryrig)) .

So as power rises loses in jerryrig increase faster than in the star rig, and star will overtake the 1.15 advantage through resistive loses.

The situation changes when we use three coils per phase the jerry rig has the 1.15 volt per leg advantage, as well as only 2/3 the resistance of the star setup. now it should have better low speed power collection, and superior power at the highest range as jerryrig loses are now less than stars.....much more interesting Hannu don't you think?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 04:11:38 PM by oztules »

Jerry

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2006, 08:50:09 PM »
Hi Flux.

The modifide GM alt tested here has claw rotor and a very husky NEO ring doughnut magnet replaced the rotor coil.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 08:50:09 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2006, 10:07:40 PM »
Wow that was quite an exersize in number crunching.

In the 8" dual rotor alt I wound 9 coils. They were 22 gage at 250 turns each and the measured (DC) 2.4 ohms each.

I'm now building another dual rotor alt to help answer some of these questions here.

My first thought is if I wind the exact same coils and I did a coil rpm volt test and lets say the coil produce 10 volts at 200 rpm. If I wind another coil with only 125 turns then the coil should produce 5 volts. Same amperage but 5 volts. If I wind 2 wires in hand I will have the same turns count 125 but my amperage should be double also half the resistance 1.2 ohms. These are facts I don't even think the star people can change.

So bact to the next expiriment. My plan  is to wind 3 coils at 22 gage 250 turns each.

If I wire these delta or jerryriged its been stated this is equal to perelell.

three 2.4 ohm coils in perelell = .8 ohm.

My intension is to also wind 3 coils 2 in hand of 125 turns 22ga wire. As stated above this coils DC resistance will be 1.2 ohms.

The purpus of these coils are to be wired star. The reson behind this is star is equal to coils wired in sires and indeed they are.

If the delta/jr coils are 10 volts perelell then the star coils should be 5 volts sires. At any rate both coil sets (250 turns delta/JR) and ( 125 turns 2 in hand star)

Have the exact amount, space and weight in copper.

Remember delta/JR equaled .8 ohms. Star however if measure metween any 2 phases measures 2.4 ohms.

A single coil of the delta/JR group will be producing 10 volts. A single coil in the star group will be producing 5 volt.

Now it would be nice if any 2 of the star coils would measure 10 volts but they don't. As Dan B stated you'll only get 1.73 X star divided by 2 because these are 5 volt coils.  

Thats why I've designing this alt this way. With 2 diferant stators that should have equal preformance but won't.

It gose back to the transformer thing I talked about (way above). What it boils down to delta/jr or 10 volt transfomers in perelell or star 5 volt transformers in sires should be 10v AIN'T.

The problem/salution is through the isolation of the rectifires the delta group gets along just fine but as Dan B stated the voltage is lower in star because the phase are out of phase and you can't correct that in star but you can correct for that in delta/JR.

And as you can see the resistance is lower in delta/jr even if the coils in star are half the resistance of the coils in delta/jr. Its normaly refured to as such.

If we compensate delta/jr for its lower voltage to bring it up to were star (wants to be should be but can't cause its out of phase)  Then we get the same (actuly better) preformance with lower resistance. None of that 1.73 loss.

Anyway my small 3 coil dual rotor test alt is under construction. I'm building 1 stator with 3 coils most likley 24 gage for the delta/jr stator and the star stator will have 3 coils 21 gage with half the turns count.

I asked the guys about wire gages and they said these 2 gages are half sizes of each other.

The saga continuse?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 10:07:40 PM by Jerry »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2006, 11:30:14 PM »
hang on jerry

is this going to be a nine coil device?? If so look again at your coils for star. Usually the three coils in each star phase are in series, if we take your 5v per star coil (two in hand 125 turns each), three in series to complete a single phase will be 15v which will then be wired in series with another phase which has also got 3 coils @5v each so now you will have each full star leg with 6 x 5v coils making it up.

Instead of being thirty volts for the 15v X 2  (yes- the out of phase addition )its 15v X 1.73 = 25.95 volts roughly per star output., which is not quite what you were on about.

You wanted the three coils that make up each star coil gropup (three coils per group) to add up to 5v so that two such groups would add up to not 5v x 2 but 5v x 1.73 = 8.65v

me thinks this may require a rethink yes? ......... oztules

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:30:14 PM by oztules »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2006, 02:12:42 AM »
Jerry

If I understand correctly you are going to do the tests with 3 coils.

If you use 250 turns for delta then you need to wind the star winding with 145 turns.

For direct comparison the cross sectional area of copper in the star winding needs to be 1.7 times that of the delta.

The nearest wire match I can come up with is to use 2 of #24 in parallel with 250 turns for delta.

For star use #21 in parallel with #22 and use 145 turns.

This should be a direct comparison for the same cut in voltage and same section of copper.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 02:12:42 AM by Flux »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2006, 03:30:14 AM »
hi flux, if jerry is using only three coils for the test, is it proper to add the three coil resistances together as parallel.

Being out of phase with each other,  it couldn't be  r1xr2xr3/r1+r2+r3for the delta resistance?

He should only have gotten away with that when he had 9 coils and three of any one phase could contribute to the lessening of the delta resistance.

If it works for all nine then it should work for star as well .....and it doesn't...does it?  ( thats why i assumed he must be using nine, other wise I couldn't see how he could use the paralled coils as a lower impedance, because with only three coils on the stator, there's no other coil in phase with any other..he's trying to get .8ohms by paralleling the three 2.4 ohm coils, but their all out of phase....i'm lost again.....or is jerry.......oz tules

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 03:30:14 AM by oztules »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2006, 04:12:35 AM »
I think that this issue came about originally because there was no basic concept of what was being compared and the issue is still with us.

In theory if we take  a given size of machine with the same cut in speed and we compare power out at a higher speed, it should be the same for star, delta 2 phase 3 phase or any polyphase.

The initial confusion occured because people were comparing a star and a delta winding and not altering the turns to achieve the same cut in speed.

If you use the same winding and connect it in star it will have a low cut in speed but will have a lower slope and a lower output at some high speed( several times cut in)

Now if you delta connect it it will produce a higher output at that same high speed as it effectively has 1/3 the resistance, so it will run at a higher efficiency and with a steeper slope AT THAT POINT.

This is not a valid comparison of the merits of star or delta as the change in characteristic is obtained with a shift of cut in speed. ( raise cut in speed and you get more power from the same size).

For a true comparison we must start with the same cut in speed and the 1.73 ratio does not allow us to do a direct comparison even with 2 wires in hand( that's 2:1).

It doesn't matter how many coils we have per phase as long as it is always the same and they are connected in series. Jerry has agreed that it is fair to compare his method with delta with only 6 leads. There is no way we can directly compare the 9 coil rectified separately with delta or star.

I hope this clears the issue regarding my test comparing star and delta, it was not possible to alter the turns in my stator but I compensated by loading at different voltages to achieve the same cut in speed and basically neglecting diode drop the output is substantially the same.

A lot of discussion has gone on regarding efficiency of star and delta but nowhere has input power been mentioned. How can you compare efficiency without considering power in and power out at the same time.

As I said at the start, the best you can hope for is to achieve the same output, no one winding is going to do any better, at best some are not going to be as good.

The one that is crap is single phase so lets dismiss that. The issue now is which one is going to be the most efficient when we compare input and output power. Let's not kid ourselves that some magic connection is suddenly going to produce more power.

I hope this clears the issue of what we are trying to compare, if we can't agree on this then there will never be an answer.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 04:12:35 AM by Flux »

Gary D

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2006, 07:19:22 AM »
Fiux, one other test that could be done is a 7th wire... on the star center ring. There was some thought that at higher rpm's a bit of power could be extracted from this arrangement. This was mentioned on several threads. As I think you said, hopefully nobody thinks they can double or tripple their output with the same diameter blades at a given windspeed, it just can't happen... And just think this testing has no government grants (millions saved)!!! Thanks Jerry and all....  Gary D.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 07:19:22 AM by Gary D »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2006, 07:55:25 AM »
Gary

I remember this, the idea was to connect the star point to another pair of diodes and make it a 4 arm bridge.

I did try this after discussion with Ed( I think). Under all sensible conditions the star point floats mid way between the dc lines and nothing happens. If you push the thing so hard that it is seriously inefficient there is a possibility of some current in the neutral. I couldn't do it with my alternator but with 1 ohm resistors in the 3 ac lines I did start to get a bit of current, but certainly it is no use under normal operating conditions. Again the effect may be different with a high leakage reactance.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 07:55:25 AM by Flux »

finnsawyer

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2006, 08:14:02 AM »
One point that seems to be missed is that Jerry's circuit does not actually have the delta connections, and because of this and the action of the diodes no circulating currents will exist in the alternator windings of his circuit.  This means that some of the problems that bedevil the delta configuration will not exist.  For someone winding his own coils this will be a more forgiving circuit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:14:02 AM by finnsawyer »

Jerry

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2006, 10:40:48 AM »
Hi Oztules.

To save time and expence I'm building a small test disc alt with 3 coils not 9. The discs will have 4 magnets each.

I will build 2 stators. Stator #1  will have small wire X amount of turns. Stator #2 will have larger wire ga. equal to twice  the ga. of stator #1. Stator #1 will have twice the turns count of stator #2 and twice the resistance.

Stator #1 will be wired delta/jr. Stator #2 will be wired star. The coils in the #2 star stator will have 1/2 the resistance of the coils of stator #1

Flux you've said that the wire in the star stator to be a fiar compairison should be compensated for the 1.73 ratio. This means more turns to be fair and equal. This also means with the increased turns count the wire must be smaller in gage. Certanly I can wind more turns in the same given space if I reduce the wire gage size.

Reducing wire gage and incresing resistance also reduces amperage. This means reduceing stars amperage potential to be campaired equally to delta. Looks like the evil 1.73 ratio god is at it again.

After the 2 stators are finished and ready for testing I plane to set up a small wind test area. This will intail using two 2.5 HP DC motor with comercial fan blades. A high amperage variable dc power supply and an anamomiter (low budget wind tunnel).  

I'm doing this to have better control over wind speed. Then the 2 stators can be compaired at the same wind speed for cut in and power.

I refuse to compensate the star stator for its 1.73 short commings when I don't have to compensate delta/jr. Thats the reason for my opinion here.

I don't want to put $20 in my pocket to day and take out $17.30 tommorow.

I can see this is an endless debate. Basicly I'm saying take a 3 phase pma alt wired in star and I think (very strongly) Using the same amount of wire and the same ga. That more power can be realized.

And I realize that making more power requiers a larger or more powerfull blade. But at least you'll be getting all the power your magnets and wire and $ spent can produce and not sacrificed power to the 1.73 ratio GOD.

I hope to get to the test as soon as I can build the test unit.

JK TAS Jerry

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 10:40:48 AM by Jerry »

richhagen

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2006, 02:59:22 PM »
I see one other issue with rectifying the individual coils, not that it is major, but Jerry's alternator would I think be more forgiving of slight mis-alignments of coils and magnets.  Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 02:59:22 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Jerry

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »
Hi Flux.

What is the aproximat ga. wire when 22 ga. is perelelled with 21ga. ?

The actual coils will have a lot fewer turns. Don't know how many yet? I'll now tonight after I wind a couple.

This may change what ga. I need to satisfy the star coils your sugjesting?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 06:41:06 PM by Jerry »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2006, 09:29:55 PM »
hmmmm let me see

"I think that this issue came about originally because there was no basic concept of what was being compared and the issue is still with us"  I think jerry had a basic concept, but i dont think it has been properly seen from that point on weather what he was trying to had any relevance to what he thought he was going to achieve.

As I see it, you cannot directly compare jerry, delt, star, extended delta or any other topology in the isolation of the lab.

What Hugh, the Dans and most other people want, is the maximum AH in their battery pack, for the prop they have up the pole.  simple really..........or is it?

It would be easy to test for the efficiency of each system in the lab, in fact I think you have done a very good job of that in your graphical presentation (even the magenta). The reason I took issue with that comparison, was that it did not ring true with what we see in real world. (not because you failed, on the contrary your results were very credible ie power into dynamic matched loads ).

In practice however the systems converge at some point, and then diverge opposite to their original positions of which was the best. This led to ed looking at star delta switching systems (and others as well) in order to get better AHours in the battery pack... It turns out that it may well be just as simple not too for the extra power gained v's the complexity it introduced. But the fact that it was touted in the first place shows us that something else is at work here. Star for low start up was good, but for the SAME stator, delta was better at higher speeds. We wont bother to explian why, thats been done to death.

That tells us that there is a dynamic at work here. The results of each system seem to all have their place in the sun at some charge rate.

What we have to really deal with is.

1. a big fat static low impedance load that barely changes. we'll call this a battery pack
  2. An incredibly dymanic "power proportional to v cubed" resource that we need to capture. otherwise known as wind
  3. The transducer. This needs to match  a wildy variable power source to an incredibly static load.  this is our beloved windmill/alternator device.

Not an easy ask is it?

For ease of building with common materials, hugh and then the dans, have prommulgated the dual axial flux wind gennie to do that task. And it does it very well..... mostly

However, it is static in its construction. It cannot change its flux to match slow/fast wind speeds, it cant change its stator windings as power requirements change between dynamic power input, and static load, in fact it cant change any specification within its construction except turn out of the wind if it all gets too scary.

Just to complicate matters, the blades are only partly forgiving. Air is an elastic driver, it can give you a fair amount of latitude for forgivness with power matching, but then if we get too stiff in our alternator, we stall the blades.

So low restance or too many turns whilst good for alternator output bode poorly for system efficiency.

So the only thing left we have at our disposal is the one thing we try and get rid of....winding resistance. Without this, our useful range of operation would be stymied significantly. Without it, we would wind for nice cut in, only to find blade stall just down the road. Thats why we tend not to wind for low cut in speed in delta...it's good for alt efficiency, but the blades stall very soon after...poor system efficiency. So were dammned if we do ie. wind coil for 0 resistance-the blades stall. And  we're dammned if we dont- to high resistance and the power out goes down and ends up heating up the stator instead.

So what the relevant efficiencies are between the different wiring systems becomes secondary to what actually gives the most bounce to the ounce for real world winds, site locations, blade design, blade nos. All thigs in the system can be called into question. One thing we can use as a weather vane, is that people who's livlyhood depend on building and selling wind turbimes for the serious hardnosed decision makers will try much harder to solve the no-mans land between the wind and the load.

Variable flux, variable blades variable load switching, all kinds of cunning things i don't even know about, they will all have been tried. For Jerry, so long as he's still enjoying the "pursuit of excellence" with his infectious enthusiasm that he seems to exude, then go jerry.

I can't imagine any solid data will ever emerge, given the swag of soft frames of reference that swirl around the ever dynamic jerrybuild, so many unanswerable variables. but the journey has been fun for all concerned, and i've no doubt that if and when the results do come out, then the basis of appeal for wrongful conviction will be plentiful for devotee's of any other system than the chosen one

"I hope this clears the issue of what we are trying to compare, if we can't agree on this then there will never be an answer.

Flux"

I think I agree with your general thrust, if that thrust is...the answer is a pine apple. It always has been a pine apple and It will always be a pineapple. or sentiment to that effect.

and Jerry, ignore all this and keep havin fun..........oztules

ps I have my own idiot things to prove at the moment (36 poles..you jest surley), and I can feel the quicksand between my toes already.......havent even got my shoes off yet

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 09:29:55 PM by oztules »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2006, 01:18:07 AM »
I absolutely agree with your thinking, but I don't think anyone else is thinking on those lines. They seem to think that some connection is going to give more power full stop.

Much of the difference in output noticed between star and delta has been decided purely by chance, just a function of how well a particular arrangement has matched the prop conditions.

There is no way an alternator can be coupled to a battery over a range of speed without doing something to the turns ratio or the flux. The higher the efficiency of the rectifier arrangement the more difficult it becomes. If you look through my files I have some graphs of output using a mppt system and you will see that with proper matching a dramatic improvement is possible.

I don't think that is the issue that is being argued about here.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 01:18:07 AM by Flux »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2006, 06:58:28 AM »
If  you get the star windings right and do this test, I would test them at a fixed/known speed.  Testing them with a fan or wind turbine blades won't be quite right because one alternator (even the less efficient one) may allow the blades to run more efficiently.  So best is to remove the blades from the test I think.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 06:58:28 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Jerry

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2006, 11:06:18 PM »
I've been thinking about all the above. My goal is simply to get the maximum power available from the money spent on wire and magnets.

My personal feeling is star doesn,t deliver all the power that the magnets and wire are able to deliver. As stated above I just can't tolerate that 2X 10 = 17.30 thing.

So my goil is to get all the power that the magnets and wire can make and then match the blade to that alts power requierments Rather than make a power waisting alt and design blades to match this lazy alt.

It is some what like adding resistance to alow the genny to spin up to a better blade rpm or increasing gap. Its like sliping a cluch to make the engine work at a happyer rpm.

Anyway this diary had a much larger debate then I expected.

I do thank you guys for trying to educate me on what is and what isn't.

On to the test.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:06:18 PM by Jerry »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2006, 01:03:32 AM »
Jerry

I admire the effort you have put into this. I am not sure that there will be any final answer at the end.

Most of the discussion here has been about an alternator at constant speed.

We can come up with an answer as to which method will produce the highest output at a given rpm ( with the same cut in speed) and we could also find the most efficient arrangement in terms of power out for power in if it is possible to measure torque to find power in.

How this relates to power from a windmill is a very different matter and Dan and Oztules have spotted that that this is a very different issue.

For best results on a windmill the one that will come out best is the one that gives you the best match to the blades over the speed range that you test. If you test over a wide speed range, you are likely to get a better match to tsr with the alternator that nearest matches the load characteristic and that may have a lower output on the bench test but not stall the prop on wind test.

You will get different results with different size props.

keep up the good work.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 01:03:32 AM by Flux »

jlt

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 06:13:52 AM »
I thought this post very in trusting