Author Topic: Littel alt lathe test.  (Read 11913 times)

Jerry

Re: Littel alt lathe test.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 10:35:41 PM »
I think at any given time one coil of star is simply a resistor with current passing trough it thats an excelent place for the 2 working coils to spend some of the power there making. And while there spending some of there power in that dud coil they can heat it up. You now keep it nice and warm.

On the other hand the delta/jerry riged has no such opertunity to spend some of there power heating up a none powered coil cause theres no none powered coil in there path on the way to the diodes and battery.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:35:41 PM by Jerry »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 01:12:45 AM »
With star under these conditions with no inductance, current at any instant is carried by 2 coils, there is nothing in the 3rd. Every 60 electrical degrees a diode swaps to a coil at a higher voltage. It does not make the best possible use of the winding and efficiency is lower into a rectifier than a normal ac load.

Jerry's system is really 3 single phase alternators connected in parallel and the rectifier conduction will be different so there are likely to be differences.

At this moment we have mostly speculation based on one very odd alternator with unusual spacing of coils and magnets and before we can even think about the effect on a rectifier we need to know how it behaves in star and delta on a 3 phase resistive load. We need peak and rms voltage of each coil and the same for line voltage in star and delta. Then we need to load each one as a 3 phase machine with something like a 3 phase star connected load with resistors of perhaps 2 ohms each.

If we end up with differences then this alternator will not give true comparison figures on a rectifier, but at the moment we don't have this comparison.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 01:12:45 AM by Flux »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 04:06:54 AM »
Hi flux, I cant help but think that there's some folks here that are dancing around the issue that jerry is trying to prove. You don't have to build a test alt to get the answer. Jerryrig/delta, wound for twice the usual turns we would normally use on a given star stator eats the pants of the star mode for startup and all the way up the range. As soon as I learned fron Peter in Netherlands the resistive ratio's between the two systems, it was a lay down hand. Efficiency and theory don't amount to a hill of beans, star cannot compete with delta, pound for pound in the format jerry suggests. There is no fair comparison, wound jerry's way, you get a superior voltage, with half the resistance of what star is capable of...game over. We didn't need the test results, ohms law tells it all, and thats without the 1.73 : 2 deficiency that exists in his original format ie 7.5 ounces of copper each, same mags, same everything else, but half the circular mills for jerryrig. The diode differentials barely exist, his tests showed the difference between jerryrig and delta, if star has some difficulties as well with the non-linear diodes, think also that the load is non-sinusoidal. It is behaving like the front end of a pwm device on an ac line. It presents no load when the phase falls below 12v and then climbs rapidly until tdcenter and then it falls below 12v again. This is probably where there will be circulating currents, and star will suffer from the non-linear event horizon, more than jerryrig.

"At this moment we have mostly speculation based on one very odd alternator with unusual spacing of coils and magnets " :-Not speculation, in field measurements. The magnets. coils spacing does not matter provided they are 120 deg apart, and symetrical, and same hole size, same legs. His design was not haphazard, the two stators were for all reasonable pruposes physically the same, but for turns and wire size.

" before we can even think about the effect on a rectifier we need to know how it behaves in star and delta on a 3 phase resistive load. We need peak and rms voltage of each coil and the same for line voltage in star and delta. Then we need to load each one as a 3 phase machine with something like a 3 phase star connected load with resistors of perhaps 2 ohms each."

:-this sounds like shuffling deck  chairs on the titanic.  There is diodes diodes diodes. It matters not what a resistive load may or may not do. It is irrelavant. As discussed, the battery is no load until v becomes greater than battery voltage ( plus a little to overcome back emf in the battery).  It then looks like a very big capacitor (mostly). The diode then conducts for either circuit. Any losses are difficult to blame for star performing so badly. If stars losses were diode losses, we wouldn't use diodes. its that simple. The battery doesn't begin to behave like a linear resistive load, more like a capacitor in hv side of switchmode power supply. I have no doubt that it would also give a skewed power factor especially for star config,as the non-use of all the voltage below 12v makes it very difficult to pretend it is a resistor for the windings....it's the kind of thing power companies hate, your'e only using the top of the waveform.

"  We need peak and rms voltage of each coil and the same for line voltage in star and delta. Then we need to load each one as a 3 phase machine with something like a 3 phase star connected load with resistors of perhaps 2 ohms each  "

:- not for this application we dont. We need to know which one charges the battery with the most AH. Thats all that counts.

Now, I've become uncertain what it is you are trying to compare, but jerry has been very specific... for x amount of copper and magnets, which system gives the best output. Its not rocket science. He's done the tests and they confirm what should have happened, twice the turns  with half the resistance....has to win , W= E squared /R not a contest at all. If E is (2 : 1.73) times larger, and r is 2 times smaller ..Please explain to me how with this situation it could be otherwise. The diodes just rectify as best they can  and we can't change that so we look at the results after rectification and the dust has settled, they pretty much follow the maths (except of course the 16% more turns on star (at your behest), and star still struggled because of its higher resistance. Twice the power is lost in the star stator than jerrydelta at any power output  (except zero I suppose). star cannot win, no matter how you try and fiddle it.

Go down with dignity I say  .........oztules:)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:06:54 AM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

craig110

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 06:03:16 AM »

Given all the voltage "in-phase" and "out-of-phase" discussion, how about running each of the rectified phases through a variable-input, fixed-output voltage converter before merging the phases?  That way, the three phases would no longer have different / competing voltages and can just sum their amps.

Craig

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 06:03:16 AM by craig110 »

spinner

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 06:21:39 AM »
just an observation, if I may:

I am sure that there are others who, like myself, lack the engineering expertise or, for that matter, the experience to "keep up" ( at least initially ) with all the excellent reasoning put forth here-in. Lots of reading/re-reading the posts and thinking about all of it as best I can adds much to my own meager knowledge base however so...we all gain from Jerrys efforts, one way or the other.

I wonder if, in the end, the jerryrig shows that it can  provide that elusive "bang for the buck" in what is probably the most common real world application for a wind generator like many of us build/experiment with: charging batteries/battery banks, it will have proven its own merit?

anyhooo *grin

I'm learnin' an' enjoyin'....

thanx

spinner

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 06:21:39 AM by spinner »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 06:37:53 AM »
Yes, you have some excellent points and I apologize (Jerry and everyone) for such a long winded and somewhat redundant comment above.

If your measuring voltage under load Jerry - I'd be interested to know open voltage at any given rpm for each stator, that would be interesting.

This is almost hurting my brain enough now to make me do my own similar test ;-)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 06:37:53 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

SmoggyTurnip

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 07:55:14 AM »
I think one problem with the test is that the same load is used for both the jerry riged and star connections.

The electrical efficiency of the generator depends on the matching of the load to the alternator and nothing else.

An alternator can have any efficiency you want by adjusting the load.

Give the alternator a short circuit and you have a 0% efficiency.

Give the alternator an open circuit and you have 100% efficiency.

Adjusting the load between dead short and open circuit will give you all efficienciencys from 0 to 100%

If you want to say that Jerry rigging produces more power for the same amount of copper

and magnets you can't use the same alternator with the same load. You need to be able

to adjust the amount of copper in the alternator.

I have a feeling that if you replaced the stator in that alt with another stator with smaller

wire and more turns wired in standard star config you would end up with the

same output, and the same amount of copper and fewer rectifiers.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 07:55:14 AM by SmoggyTurnip »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2006, 08:32:48 AM »
Actually - to be fair the amount of copper would need to be the same, but you would need to adjust the number of windings and the gage of wire (or wind the same coils and adjust the load).  Jerry did adjust the number of windings but IM not sure hes got teh same open voltage for both stators...  if he does, then in this particular test star definitely loses.  The Star stator actually needs the opposite of what you suggested - fewer turns per coil of heavier wire, and Jerry has done that.  If the load is the same though (which it is), and the magnet rotors are the same (which they are)- and the airgap is the same (which it needs to be) then the star coils must also be teh same size and weight and the open voltage with no load also needs to be teh same.  If it's not - then the coils need to be changed, or the load should be adjusted.

Now that Im here replying to this post again...  I wonder if someone can help explain whats going on.  I've drawn it out and in my mind it seems like that, with a 3 phase star we should have current flowing through all the conductors all the time (even though there will always be 1 leg thats not producing useful voltage, it seems like it should be helping to carry the current from teh other two legs).

Heres a bad drawing of 3 phase power, the X axis is time, Y is Voltage.  Lets say peak voltage is 1 Volt to keep things easy.  Each 'phase' (labelled A, B and C)here represents 1 coil in Jerrys alternator.  The star connection would be a series connection between all three of the phases shown.  Across the top I've picked 4 moments in time.  It's obvious what happens with Jerry rigged when we rectify each one - but where is current flowing to and from in a star connection at each of those 4 moments.  To me it seems like it should be from most negative to most positive and it seems like each coil would always have current flowing through it - even if that coil is at 0 volts.  I think this is the benifit of a real 3 phase connection where each phase is interconnected but I'm starting to wonder if Im not understanding things correctly.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:32:48 AM by DanB »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2006, 08:56:37 AM »
I'm going to try to explain my thinking on this.  Flux said there's only current flowing in between two phases at any moment and Im sure he's right (Because he usually is ;-)  ) but to me it seems like there should be voltage in two phases at any moment and therefor there must be current in all 3 phases because any two will share the third leg and it seems to me like this is the advantage of a normal 3 phase connection.  Hopefully I'll learn something here!

I've thrown voltages in there which are surely not accurate but perhaps in the ballpark.  Peak voltage is always 1 V though.  IN the drawing where I drew the sine waves I think the 2nd drawing shows roughly whats going on and to me it seems like there is current flowing in the directions of the arrows and theres always current flowing in every coil all the time, even though there are moments where there is no voltage between two of the leads.  Is this roughly correct?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:56:37 AM by DanB »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2006, 09:10:50 AM »
Dan

My scanner is not working at the moment so I can't send drawings but I will try to explain from your diagram, which is 6 phase. With a full wave rectifier the mirror of the 3 phase gives much the same thing. Alternate peaks you can consider as positive and the ones in between are negative but reversed in the rectifier.

Each diode conducts for 1/6 of the time and does so when the volts across it are most positive. The peaks of your drawing where they are above the crossing point are the intervals when a diode conducts.

Current at any instant flows through 2 diodes one positive and one negative and flows through 2 of the 3 phase leads. There is never current in the 3 rd lead. the diodes change at 60 electrical degrees to keep the most positive(and most negative) diodes conducting.

With star, current always flows through 2 phases ( the same current) . With delta the line current condition is identical, with 2 leads at any moment carrying the current. Because of the delta, winding current is different. At any instant one coil is directly connected to the line and the other 2 phase currents add vectorially and are in parallel with the one at full volts.

If we assume that a phase of a star winding is one ohm, the phase of the equivalent delta is 3 ohms.

Now looking at the 2 lines carrying current at an instant, the star winding presents as 2 ohms. Delta presents as the parallel sum of 3 ohms and 6 ohms i.e 2 ohms so it is the same.

At this moment there is no point in considering Jerry's method but it is obviously not the same. It seems to be 3 single phase machines in parallel.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:10:50 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2006, 10:01:43 AM »
That could have been worded better.

Each diode conducts for 1/3 of the time, but every 1/6 of a cycle conduction transfers to another diode.

If a positive diode is conducting for 120 deg, at 60 deg a change will take place in the negative ones. The change takes place alternately on the positive and negative rails with a change every 60 deg but each diode does two 60 deg conduction periods.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:01:43 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2006, 11:10:57 AM »
See if this drawing works.

The thick red lines are diodes conducting to positive rail and black are to neg rail.

This should clarify the 120 deg conduction in each arm and the change at 60 deg.

The actual waveform as seen on the bridge terminals will be the red line with the mirror image of the black one superimposed so you have a 6 times line frequency ripple.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 11:10:57 AM by Flux »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »
smoggyturnip,

A few points if I may

the load was deigned to be the same in this test deliberatly. Both Zubbly and Flux determined the turns ratios of each respective stator configuratio for just this reason. Star had 16% more turns than jerry's original idea, just to make the unloaded output as equal as possible.

Your alternator efficiency theory is good. But this test tried to match the start points to be the same. So this negates the mismatch of load theory... Unless of course you want the load to be softer for star in order to help compensate for stars greater internal resistance....in the real world we are charging batteries, inflexable load low inpedance.  nothing to gain by softening up the load just to skew the results which won't stand up to real world conditions.

"If you want to say that Jerry rigging produces more power for the same amount of copper and magnets you can't use the same alternator with the same load. You need to be able to adjust the amount of copper in the alternator."

We all use the same load (battery) we all use different alternators to dirve this same load ( only difference being the 12, 24, 36 or 48v batt size). So shuffling loads wont help us determine a better rig for charging batteries if we pretend they are something else for this instance.......makes no good sense to do so.

"I have a feeling that if you replaced the stator in that alt with another stator with smaller wire and more turns wired in standard star config you would end up with the

same output, and the same amount of copper and fewer rectifiers."

If you note the resistance in the test, you will see that if you wind more turns onto star, you will give your load argument some teeth I suppose, but the results will be even worse for star. This is the nub of the jerry rig. If you decrease the wire size in delta to 1/2 the circular mills and double the turns, jerry still ended up with half the resistance of star, because the resistance of each of his coils made the overall resistance 1/3 of whatever the resistance of an individual coil was . In star, if you did that, the higher resistance implied with the more turns adds to the sum resistance, so that things get worse twice as fast for star coils. Thats where the master stroke of Jerryrig came into being. He was the only one to take advantage of this quirk of delta. If you did as you suggest, for star, open voltage would be wonderful, but losses thereafter would accumulate 4 imes as fast in the stator (W=E squared /R ie every 2 volts dropped gives you 4/R wattage loss).

So if you "replaced the stator in that alt with another stator with smaller wire and more turns wired in standard star config you would end up" ... further down the hole as the power was increased.........

Look at it another way, a standard star config we currently use, if we wanted more bounce for the ounce, we would introduce a star/delta switch......why...because star's resistance (internal) introduces too much stator loss as the current increases, and even with half of jerries turns in this case, delta's low internal resistance allows for more power at higher speeds, thats why people do it.

..........oztules

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:11:49 PM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »
Simply add the best two phase voltages at any given time. This gets rid of the vector addition mind twisting. So for the six phase diagram above, points 1,2,3,4 would equal 1.5, 1.6,1.5,1.6v respectively. add any two best legs for the output. The anytwo worst still add, but their potential is less so dont add to output (except the best of below the line, this gives you your negative best two phases at any time. I think that is the simplest way to add up the legs in star. In delta, just use the peaks of the lines. Will reflect the output, but theory is for Flux to explain. Note in delta on these figures, voltage will never exceed 1v, but star will.

if this simplified explanation is wrong, I'll soon know it..........oztules

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:05:22 PM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2006, 04:39:21 PM »
Flux I have a problem with this.........

"If we assume that a phase of a star winding is one ohm, the phase of the equivalent delta is 3 ohms."

How did you arrive at this figure. If the "phase" of a star winding "is 1 ohm(two 1/2 ohm coils in series to make a phase for star), surely the delta "phase " of that stator is .5 ohm not three .

ie one coil of the star phase leg (which is two coils)... i cant countenance this without some explanation of where you arrived at 3 ohms. makes no known linkage that i can see.... Even if you wired all the coils for some reason in series, you still only get 1.5 ohms.

"Now looking at the 2 lines carrying current at an instant, the star winding presents as 1 ohms. Delta presents as the parallel sum of 3 ohms and 6 ohms i.e 2 ohms so it is the same."  

This would now read ;-star presents as 1 ohm (two 1/2 ohms coils in series). Delta presents as the parallel sum of 0.5 ohms and 1 ohms ie .16 ohms    not the same  at all, or did I miss something important.

..........oztules

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:39:21 PM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2006, 04:46:46 PM »
and i have an even bigger problem with simple maths.

I botched this up somewhat:-

"This would now read ;-star presents as 1 ohm (two 1/2 ohms coils in series). Delta presents as the parallel sum of 0.5 ohms and 1 ohms ie .16 ohms "

should read :-

This would now read ;-star presents as 1 ohm (two 1/2 ohms coils in series). Delta presents as the parallel sum of 0.5 ohms and 1 ohms = .5/1.5= .33 ohms

..........oztules

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:46:46 PM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2006, 06:49:28 PM »
Danb

I didn't know this post would turn up down here. The diagram referred to is from your post. The diagram shows your representation on paper of three phase ( which is actually six phase I think.) wave forms

........ oztules

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 06:49:28 PM by oztules »

Jerry

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
OK did a littel testing today what time would permit. I don't have a laithe at the store so I chucked the littel alt up in a vice and spun it with a 1/2" 2800 rpm drill.

I was surprized the magnets didn't fly off. It is evedent from the no load voltage I must wind new coils for star to get its voltage up to parr with delta.

At 2800 rpm measureing from 2 star legs we get 6.55 volts ac no load.

One coil in delta at 2800 rpm no load ac we get 7.93 volts ac. I think at this point that might be close  to the magic 1.73 diferance. I think that it would be 6.85 v.

Next I conected the 3 phase diode bridge to the star stator. seeing that the star voltage was lower I lowered the dc load. I used 4 each 2volt Hawker 4.5 AH batteries. I wired the littel batteries in perelell for a 2 volt 18 AH battery.

At 2800 rpm the amp meter read 2.5  amps the volts read 2.516 for 6.29 watts.

Next I swaped out to the higher voltage delta/jerry riged stator. Conected the diode bridge to each coil and did the same test. This time I did a sires perelell conection on the 4 littel batteries to make a 4 volt 9 AH battery. At 2800 rpm volts were 5.10 and amps were 2.33 for 11.883 watts.

I adjusted the load to 2 volts to acomidate stars lower voltage reading as per Dans sugjestion.

I do need to wind a higher turns coil for star. This star coil is 116 turns. The new one will be higher.

It may be a littel high on the turns count I was able to get 170 turns were 116 turns were.

This should bring stars voltage up to or a littel higher then deltas. Its larger wire then delta but it did fit the same space nicley. I've wound 1 coil 2 more to wind and then assemble the new star stator and the retest.

I did look at the star and delta wave form on the scope and they are identical. I tryed to take pictures but that didn't work. It would be very hard to see the posted picture.

It would be nice to have a 12 magnet 9 coil alt to do all these tests on but its real easy and fast to pop a stator off and on on the littel alt.

hopefully this new star stator will shed some more light on the topic at hand.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:43:14 PM by Jerry »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2006, 10:48:25 PM »
for anyone reading  post #46, it is wrong on several levels, Flux has the perfect explanation in graphical form.... my apologies everyone, don't know what I was thinking
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:48:25 PM by oztules »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2006, 01:06:13 AM »
Sorry I think we have a problem with the terminology. I regard a phase as 1/3 of a 3 phase winding. For star it is from star point to one line terminal. So for a phase resistance of 1 ohm, you will see 2 ohms between a pair of lines.

The phase of delta needs to be wound with 1.73 times as many turns with wire section

58% of star. the combination of more turns and thinner section results in 3 times the resistance.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 01:06:13 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2006, 01:18:55 AM »
Jerry

If you measure on no load, the coil of the delta winding should give 1.73 times the voltage of that of the star winding.I should imagine that this is correct.

In theory the 2 coils of star in series should give the same voltage as one delta coil. I suspect this is the point where you are loosing volts because of the strange waveform. You may well have a third harmonic that is 50% of the fundamental.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you raise the star voltage but I think you are justified in concluding that with that machine, star is at a disadvantage as far as bang for your bucks is concerned. If we looked at the actual efficiency in star and delta I have no doubt that the delta efficiency is low with those harmonics, but your criteria doesn't include efficiency.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 01:18:55 AM by Flux »

SmoggyTurnip

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2006, 07:29:40 AM »
OK let me put it another way.

Supose you had a star wired alt.

Supose you had a magical dial that could change the wire guage on every

coil in that alt. Also that dial would would make sure that the same

amount of space was used for the coil.

With the dial all the way to the left you would have 1 turn of very large wire.

With the dial all the way to the right you would have an millions of turns

of very very tiny wire.

With the alt running at say 1600 rpm turning the dial from left to right

would adjust the output of the alt from nearly 0 at the left to millions

of volts at the right.

Now connect that alt to the same load that Jerry had connected to his

Jerry rigged alt.

You can adjust the output voltage until it gives the same voltage to the

load as the Jerry rigged setup.

Check the wire size and use this for your new alt.

If efficiency is not a concern then there is no difference between

these alternators. Both have the same amopunt of copper,

Both are producing the same power in the load at 1600 RPM.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 07:29:40 AM by SmoggyTurnip »

SmoggyTurnip

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2006, 07:32:35 AM »
And before anyone asks - No I don't know where you can get one of those dials!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 07:32:35 AM by SmoggyTurnip »

Gary D

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2006, 10:17:01 AM »
Ok, I have questions. As Dan and Flux have drawn a 3 phase waveform, I assume it is open / no load correct? With a battery clamping voltage to a lower value, wouldn't the tops and bottoms be flat? As the volts closed circuit try to rise, doesn't the peak above battery voltage turn into amps? And isn't this is where the 60 degree difference is shown to add amps in the Jerry configuration? While one "phase" is at what would be peak "open", a second is/ could be above the battery "clamp"? I must be missing something, or trying to explain my thoughts wrong.... That's why on the other post, I thought Jerry's rectifiers would have had to blow if they were rated for approx. half the amps that the wind test showed/ ie. catistrofic falure? I'm glad this is getting the interest that it seems to deserve, no matter the outcome!!!! Gary D.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:17:01 AM by Gary D »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2006, 10:48:41 AM »
Yes those waveforms are for a normal generator where load is many times the internal impedance.

You are right that with the thing clamped to a battery the point on the waveform below crossover will be the same but the bit above it will be completely flattened and current is generated in this flattened bit depending on the unflattened voltage and the resistance.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:48:41 AM by Flux »

Jerry

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2006, 11:44:31 AM »
Well the new star stator is cast. just waiting for the glue to set. I'll take it out of the mold latter and test latter.

OK I think its time for another DIY to build a test alt and do the same tests. Maybe some one that has access to lots of wire sizes and magnets and rotors and such.

I need some sleep.LOL  My gears keep turnin, loozin sleep?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 11:44:31 AM by Jerry »

Gary D

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2006, 12:25:56 PM »
Thanks Flux! Then you could use Dan's drawing from the centerline up (to account for positive and negative rails), assigning different top voltages for varying rpm's. As rpm's increased, a second phase could easily be above clamped voltage at the same "moment", if my thinking is correct? Amplitude would want to change...  Gary D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:25:56 PM by Gary D »

Jerry

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2006, 12:37:14 PM »
PS.

I also took a look a the wave form of the GM alt I tested. It was as perfect sine wave as I've seen.

If wave form has an effect on the results of the star VS delta/jerry riged then it must be a wave form other the presented either by my little test alt or the good sine wave the GM alt was making.

I'll look at the wave form on this new star stator to but I think it will be the same as the other 2?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:37:14 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2006, 10:01:54 PM »
OK I had enough time today to just do a littel testing on the new 170 turn stator.

Here are the #s from the 200 turn delta/jerry riged.

1. volt battery load. 5.1 volts at 2.33 amp for 11.883 watts. No load volt per coil
  2. 93.

Here are the #s from the 170 turn star stator with larger wire. Open no load volts 8.86v.

4 volt battery load. 1.62 amps at 5.36 volts for 8.64 watts.

The no load volts is .93 volts higher than the delta/jerry riged no load volts.

Some thought this would bring stars  preformance up to that of delta/jerry riged.

Stars turns were less, stars resistance per coil were less, stars open volts are more and yet its power output is less.

Same thing when the first star stator was tested with a load ajusted load.

Got the same results when I did the GM alt test.

HMMMMM I think theres a trend here.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:01:54 PM by Jerry »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2006, 01:51:48 AM »
Jerry

I think it is time for you to run to the patent office. This Jerry connection does seem to need further investigation. I will have a look at it when I get a chance but I don't have the energy or enthusiasm that you have especially during the winter so it may take a little while.

One thing that has received a lot of attention in the last few years has been car alternators, they seem determined to squeeze the things to the limit rather than make it cost more. I find it odd that they have never tried you idea, but the electrical industry has been going for over a hundred years and the things that seem to work are not normally challenged.

For industrial motors and alternators on ac there is no difference between star and delta. If you buy a dual voltage star/delta motor rated at 1hp it will do it in star or delta on the right voltage.

What happens into rectifiers is not so well investigated and when we remove the iron core and slots and drive them down to 30% efficiency anything could happen, but I am still surprised that the car alternator people have not caught on as they have tried every other avenue including force commutated rectification.

There is no doubt that you have been fair in these tests and I admire the time and effort you have put into it.

I regret that you have raised an issue that I assume never existed, I have never seen significant difference between star and delta, but then I have only briefly looked at your connection as on the face of it it seems to be delta with a different hat on.

I have plenty to do without looking into this, but I will do so as soon as I can.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 01:51:48 AM by Flux »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2006, 05:21:54 AM »
Jerry,

Fear and trepidation has crept over my soul as I read that some people may be wavering ever so slightly.

however, I don't want to spoil the celebrations but.....

There's something wrong with the world....something is not adding up here. If jerry volts are lower than star volts in this instance, .... how come the current is larger in Jerryrig than star??  (under load conditions ), I am bothered that the little batteries are charging up and not accepting the charge at the same rate they were the other day.

Are the jerry results posted here from this same time, or are they from the other day. I want you to be correct here. It may be that if you put jerryrig on this battery now, it's figures may be different to those of the other days. (which I think are the ones you are quoting in this post.

Just to make sure, do both tests one after another and again  the other way around ie star first then jerryrig and see if we are being fooled by the rising battery voltage. We may have to use the resistive load if the batteries are changing their dynamics because they are too small to present consistant loads to the systems. I hope that this is not the case, but if it is, you should be the one to find the error, not anyone else.

Best wishes, but you must cover every base..........oztules

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 05:21:54 AM by oztules »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2006, 07:41:31 AM »
well jerry, it looks like your flag is still there! i look forward to seeing how you do your next complete alt. following this thread as best i can, it would seem adventagus to rectify each phase seperatly. since you won't get the x 1.73 voltage boost of star,it would require each phase, after rectification, to be capable of produceing the desired working voltage. have i got that right?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 07:41:31 AM by electrondady1 »

SmoggyTurnip

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2006, 07:53:58 AM »
Yes I am confused as well.

5.36 volts into a 4 volt battery should do better than 5.1 volts.

Maybe there is a typo or something.

Or maybe I am not understanding the post correctly.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 07:53:58 AM by SmoggyTurnip »