Author Topic: Littel alt lathe test.  (Read 11914 times)

Jerry

Re: Littel alt lathe test.
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2006, 09:32:31 AM »
Hi oztules.

I knew this question would come up. These batteries were given to me a few week back. Then there voltage was around 1.99v each. They are a lead acid battery so actual chemistry should be 2.1 v at rest. The voltage has been climing as these tests have been progressing.

The delta/jerry riged test was done first then the star test was done so my that time the battery voltage was rising. This is why in one of my early test I did a fixed value load resistor. This asured that the load would never change. However a battery is not a fixed load its voltage and therefor resistance changes as charging voltage is aplied. I started using batteries as a load as per a real word request.

These little batteries I have at the store are the size of a flashlight battery (people of Great Britn tourch light). but a half again as long. The battery I use at home is a golt car battery. The golf car battery load at these small charging amps will take longer change there voltage or charge condition. I simply used what I had on hand at the time.

However the diferance is still quite evident in the 2 phases.

Flux.

About the car auto industry alts. I still beleave the horse power and rpm available helps that industry make a disision based on economics rather that preformance.

It just like there safty short cumings. They factor in how many people will be killed VS the cost of safty upgrades and law suits. I don't think alternators eficiency will win out over alt cost if its marginal.

I have one more alt to try. This idea woke me up last night. Not much sleep since 2:30 am.

I've done a bunch of motor conversions. So the thought came to me. I will rewind one of those box fan type motor with 6 poles. I have a few of the furnace blower motors built the same but a much heavyer build. These particular 6 pole motors have just 6 slots not the normal 36 slots.

This will make it easy to remove the exsisting wire and rerwind just 3 of the 6 poles.

I've not rewound a motor befor (no need to this point) but this type motor will be much easyer than the 36 slot.

My intention is to wind it with 2 in hand 21 gage wire. This is equal to 18 gage wire. I will not conect the 2 seperate 21 gage wire together but bring wire out of the motor can so that these 2 coils may be either perelelled for star or normal delta (as this board group would do it) or siresed for delta/jerry riged.

This asures that the same amount of copper and turns will be used for the 3 diferant phase scheems above can be configured.

I will also leave enough room to add the requiered extra turns that star will need to acheave the open voltage of the delta/jerry riged scheem. I will wind the star helper or cheater coil of 18 gage witch is the same size as 2 21 gage in hand.

I will use a 4 magnet rotor. This again achives the 3 to 4 ratio and 3 phase.

I will measure all factors for all phases and coils such as open volts per phase, open volts per coils, amps and volts into a fixed resistive load, amps and volts into a battery load and ect.

This should be the final and conclusive test. I will document this in another diary. This diary has got a littel long also.

May the best phase win.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 09:32:31 AM by Jerry »

para t8

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2006, 11:26:53 AM »
jerry,i found a powerchair its got batt.and heat sink too.i think im getting a little closer to making a test,but i got to get a fluke metter to make the test.by the way,your numbers look good,oh,do your gennys power your shop?i know there up there for something,lol.ive been reading all most every story on this board,and trying to learn as much as i can.my statar is 9 and 12.i did'nt give up on the little alt.{back burner}.im going to concentrat on the 10'at my sisters house.i know your thinking im full of it because no pic.but there coming.   may the wind be in your blades and the sun in your panels.   para t8
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 11:26:53 AM by para t8 »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »
very good jerry,

however, as you have all the gear there already, do the latest star test on the four ohm resistor just to verify on a same load basis that all is  cool. I would hate to see someone else perform the same tests only to find discrepencies because your batteries were changing their charge state too quickly to make the batt test comparative.

Yes I'm in your corner, but being brutally honest is the only way to prove the systems worth. If your system is better, it will stand rigorous testing. No one wants to see it fall down because of some small oversight.    But we do want to see it fall down sooner rather than later if it isn't up to it.

I remain hopeful but expect the gap to close wickedly on the four ohm test

Even if it does, you have still shown that 8.5 oz of star can't beat 7.5oz jerryrig on this alternator.

What is the weight of the new star stator by the way?

.....oztules.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 02:17:23 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

Jerry

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2006, 08:16:11 PM »
Hi oztules

I'm going to quit messing with the littel dual rotor alt and start building the 6 pole 3 phase motor conversion test alt.

It will be much easyer to test. No rotors to swap out. I'll do much more involved test on this new alt. Gota get started on that now. Time for a new diary.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 08:16:11 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2006, 08:23:50 PM »
Hi para t8.

Good to hear from you again. I'm glad your making progress on your projects.

Yes we use all the power that we can get from mother nature when she supplies it.

Most gennies are  down right now. We've got upgrades in the works.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 08:23:50 PM by Jerry »

kwwitchg

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2006, 09:38:53 AM »
I was just wondering what you used for the rotors.  The setup looks very neat.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:38:53 AM by kwwitchg »