Author Topic: 60 foot guyed raise/lower tower  (Read 5491 times)

BruceDownunder

60 foot guyed raise/lower tower
« on: March 09, 2006, 11:19:19 PM »
These are a few pic's of how I constructed my tower-gal steel.

Can be raised and lowered by a permanent winch.

Thats the main ginpole behind at 25 feet that has a block to pull the tower(60feet) up.The ginpole is permanently guyed-does not move.

the guy anchor block arrangement with turnbuckles,this anchor is a "deadman" type,steel angle going down to a cross steel angle brace buried in concrete,3 feet deep trench

my mill(F&P) at 60 feet .this can be lowered by disconnecting the rear guys and the winch lowers it in a couple of minutes.the ginpole holds the 60 foot tower steady all the way by the winch cable being attached to 2 pulleys on it.

another view of the top 40 feet with 2 feet of pipe at the top to allow the mill to yaw with the 3 phase cable coming down inside the inner pipe.

inside my homebuilt control box-controls 3 sets of batteries,both 12v and 24 v The regulator is a home built shunt type with the main blocking diode and Mosfet switcher mounted on heatsinks outside the box(fan will be installed later).incoming cables are for solar panels,wind generator. outgoing cables are for 3x battery banks,1x 24v distribution panel with breakers,1xdc-dc converter -for the 12v battery bank.

outside the control box ,front panel ,is the volt meter with a rotary switch to view volts for 3x battery banks,1x solar panel,1x wind generatorimput. 2 X amp meters to view both wind and solar incoming charge. a couple of leds to tell of shunt on,boost on . the dummy load is on top of the control box -needs a fan .A large rotary switch is used to switch over any of the battery banks to the dc breaker distribution panel and a small rotary switch is used to direct incoming power into any of the battery banks

the winch block tackle arrangement -the tackle coming  to the tower is "folded" to equalise the pulling load to 2x points on the tower-this is then attached to a 5 "fold" block going up to the winch.the winch can hold the tower at any point (very safe).The 60 feet of tower takes a bit of a bendy shape (around 12 inches) until it gets up around 45 degrees,after this it gets straight . I have a rubber block as a "cushion" for when it kisses the ginpole , and at  the vertical position.

Bruce

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 11:19:19 PM by (unknown) »

zap

• There's an app for that
Re: 60 foot guyed raise/lower tower
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:19:23 PM »
Very impressive Bruce, it looks like excellent craftsmanship all around.  That control box is something else, I'd never be able to do anything like that in a million years.  (I'm also a tad envious of all those F&P stators you got lying around)

Excellent, excellent, excellent!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 06:19:23 PM by zap »

Drives

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 06:43:12 PM »
Many Thanks for the view of your tower.  It is nice to see a tall tower that can be easily raised and lowered, safely and quickly.  

Two questions, how many pounds does the gennie weigh, and what is the blade diameter?

Nice job.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 06:43:12 PM by Drives »

Drives

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 07:09:33 PM »
If I read far enough back, I would have realized these are the "Art" blade set with F&P.    Still would like to know the weight if you remember?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 07:09:33 PM by Drives »

Frank06

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 06:47:01 AM »
Very nice work.  Can you tell us more about the tower and ginpole cross-sections?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 06:47:01 AM by Frank06 »

domwild

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 11:37:44 PM »
Bruce,

Very professional! I am green with envy!

Thanks for sharing that with us.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:37:44 PM by domwild »