Author Topic: Rcpilot had an accident  (Read 4197 times)

RCpilot

Rcpilot had an accident
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:27:50 AM »
This is his wife and he wants all to keep him in prayers. He won't be able to do anything very soon. Lots of damage to ligaments, muscle and nerves. Surgery was performed and it will be long time before he is able to use right arm as he has normally. While operating a bucket truck the up lever was hung on branch and his right arm crushed between bucket and branch. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:27:50 AM by (unknown) »

chadking

Re: Rcpilot had an accident
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 07:46:53 PM »
Oh my!  That's a bad deal all around. Tell him to hang in there, and we will keep him in thoughts and prayers.

The biggest thing is to just focus on getting better, any exercises or therapy doctors can recommend is crucial.  It's horrible that anyone has to go through these things, but we expect to see him back around when he's able.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:46:53 PM by chadking »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
Hi Mrs. Kelly,

Sorry to hear that. I hope the recovery goes well.

G-
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:51:27 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Volvo farmer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
Oooh what a shame.  I have a feeling he will have a speedy recovery, due to the nature of his posts here. I enjoyed his sharing of his electric system and trials and tribulations. I also look forward to hearing from him here again soon!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:59:29 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

etownlax

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:15:56 PM »
Sad to hear; We'll pray he has a speedy recovery.

-Randy

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:15:56 PM by etownlax »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 07:28:13 AM »
Hello Mrs. Kelly;

This is Bruce S, I am up in St. Louis; so I'm fairly close. If there' anything I can do to hlep out. Let me know. We're only 80miles away.

Plus I have a son living in Mexico , MO .

Don't hesitante to ask.

Our prayer are with y'all'

Bruce S

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 07:28:13 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:46 AM »
I've deleted more in the last 24 hours than I've deleted in the last year while trying to reply to this bad news with at least token bit of mirth, but I keep coming up well short of cute. And I will not give in to borrowing any schtick badda-boom truck to reach cuteness, I promise... (Ouch! hey, what did I sa... ohhh... sorry.. : )

Diet is extremely important about now - three cans of tuna a day washed down with soy-protein enhanced milkshakes in addition to usual favorite meals for the next few weeks will go a long way in helping cover the protein energy required to heal; or support the unwounded parts over their shock to better their focus on knitting you back to optimum...

Well Sir - that's about as much help as I can be from 700 miles away. I tried to email you at the rolla.net address with an offer of cheap seconds-of-seconds solar cells before this happened... Hope you're back for comments activity even if you're not posting state-of-the-art systems, and Ms Kelly - may Gods' good gifts surround you!!!

Dan G.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:39:46 AM by DanG »

RCpilot

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »
Thank you so much. You all sound like a great bunch of people. He is home but in lots of pain still. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all  your thoughts and prayers. Gives one renewed hope in mankind..God bless you. Mrs.Kelly
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:00:39 PM by RCpilot »

RCpilot

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 06:09:41 PM »
I was trying to reply to all but hit it for only one. I think I have it now. I just wanted to thank EACH AND EVERY ONE of you who have offered your prayers, good advice and support. God bless you all. You all sound like great people and I have renewed hope and special feelings for mankind. I work pretty hard at my job and there are days it seems no one is nice to each other or has a kind word and then this happens and I see all these nice posts and it warms my heart. Thanks again and God bless you all. "Mrs.Kelly"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:09:41 PM by RCpilot »

richhagen

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »
Wow, just read this.  Sorry to hear about this.  I will hope for a speedy recovery for him.  I guess I will miss reading about his projects, and whether he was able to keep that 3rd Prosine working for a little bit.  Best wishes, Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:28:44 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

kurt

• website
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 07:06:42 PM »
bummer, hope you make a full and speedy recovery.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 07:06:42 PM by kurt »

howlet

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »
Hello Mrs. Kelly,

Sorry to hear about Rcpilots accident.

I have been following his postings for a while now and I admire his commitment to The Lord and renewable energy.

I pray that he remains strong in both commitments.

Jeff

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 07:47:02 PM by howlet »

BigBreaker

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 07:14:31 AM »
I am very sorry to hear about this accident.  Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

I hope everyone reading about RCPilot's injury gives their own safety an extra thought while they work.  The equipment people on this forum operate and things we build can be VERY dangerous.  Magnetic rotors, pressure vessels, explosive fuels, steam, power electronics, power tools, machining equipment, acids and other chemicals, heights, falling towers, etc can all be deadly.  Mind yourselves and all your fingers!

It is worth checking out some of the machining forums on the web, such as CNCZone, for their safety sub-forums.  There are some cringe inducing stories there and some great advice on staying safe.

My number one safety rule?  SLOW DOWN.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 07:14:31 AM by BigBreaker »

elvin1949

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 05:57:14 PM »
Praying for a fast recovery.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 05:57:14 PM by elvin1949 »

RCpilot

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »
Guys, thanks so much for all the prayers and comments. The night after the accident I asked my wife Doris "Mrs. Kelly" to post what she did for me because I feel like some of you are my good friends now and wanted to let everyone know. My arm is getting better each day and I am hoping when I see the surgeon Wed, he will let me take the cast off. I can move all my fingers and there is no loss of feeling anywhere, The pain reminds me of that! I can only use my left arm right now and typing is not natural. The lord had to have been watching out for me as the lift probably would have taken my arm off had the branch that held the UP control not have broken. When It broke, I was able to lower myself to the ground and get help. It's pretty traumatic looking at your own bones in your arm exposed. I had nightmares several nights after the accident. Of course they are always worse than the real thing. When I am able, I plan to take pictures of the bucket lift and show you how dangerous it is. I just didn't think about it being so dangerous at the time and have learned a painful lesson about being careful. The bucket controls are exposed and easily catch on things. As I look at the lift, I really think It's missing a guard. I have re-lived the accident over and over and think I know what happened. As I was raising up, was watching overhead and not where my arm was going. As soon as the bucket pinched my arm under the large limb, the smaller branch held the up control down and allowed the bucket arm to crush my arm. The smaller branch finally broke, freeing the UP control. It is such a helpless feeling watching your arm being crushed flat and break right in front of your eyes, It all seems like it was in slow motion. I would like to tell everyone to be careful, I see these large windmills being raised and 10" pipe, the weight, lots to get hurt on or killed. Nothing is worth getting hurt over. I have pics of the injury but you tell me if I should post them. They could be a good reminder to be careful?? Anyway, I'm feeling better but it's going to be a few months before I will start being normal again.

Kelly

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:14:58 PM by RCpilot »

BigBreaker

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 08:17:51 AM »
I'm glad to hear that the nerves are working properly.  Nerves are one of the toughest things for the surgeons to fix and something the body is not very aggressive about mending.  Despite the damage and pain, you are truely blessed to still have your arm and be in a position for a full recovery.  Good luck with physical therapy.  It is REALLY important to get that arm functioning up to its potential ASAP.  The nature tendency is to favor the other arm and never really force the weakened one to reach its full potential.

I'll vote for posting some pics, especially if you can put a warning on them for the squeemish.  CNCZone has a section devoted to safety and it includes some real horror stories and close calls.  The idea is to remind everyone of the dangers involved in heavy machinery and other elements of these hobbies.  I have had some close calls myself with mowers, bandsaws, fire, heights, chain drives, electrocution.  Before I approach any dangerous job or powerful machine I mentally picture some of my close calls.  It help me be mindful.

One of my favorite close calls was when I pinched the two prongs of a free standing high voltage tack welder between my index finger and thumb.  I thought the two prongs came together to apply force, not voltage.  I pushed down on the foot peddle thinking the prongs would come together - they did but not with any force.  Then I smelled burnt flesh.  Luckily the current just charred a little channel through the surface of my skin and didn't vaporize the finger tips.

Your story may save someone's life or just a finger, but either way it is worth it.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:17:51 AM by BigBreaker »

RCpilot

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 11:09:05 PM »
I only had one vote for the injury pics. So, what I will do is put them in my "photo uploads" with a link here if anyone wants to look. That way, for the squeamish, you can't see them unless you try as opposed to posting them here. Looks like the Doc isn't going to release me for work until Dec 3. Making good progress, arm still in a backboard type cast with stretch wrap to hold it on. Lots of itching, pain is getting much less. I'm going crazy not being able to do much but feeling good enough to want to. Doc says to not even move the fingers under their own power yet to allow the tendons and muscle tissue to heal.

Took my little buddy Batman for a mile long walk today, felt good! I posted a pic of him below. He's pretty good company during the day while Doris is at work! As for the solar system and the prosine, everything is running good. Started saving up for some commercial panels to add to what I am running now. A good friend of mine is just starting to build an 8' turbine, was over at his house today looking it over. Getting real inspired as I plan to build one after I get enough solar power to charge my battery properly. Remember, the injury pics are only posted so that they make someone think twice before doing anything dangerous. It only took four seconds to set me back about two months! Stay safe everyone!

Kelly

My Buddy, Batman:

Injury pics:

http://www.fieldlines.com/user/RCpilot/files

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:09:05 PM by RCpilot »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 11:32:03 PM »
Kelly;

Oh, yuck. Glad the arm is still there, man.

I denied photo taking of my injuries from the motorcycle accident I had in '90. some parts looked like raw hamburger. They all healed but I feel your pain, bud.  I rebroke my shattered ankle trying to get stuff done when the doctors said "stay off your ankle". I suggest you let it get well before you get too carried away.

Good healing.

Cheers.

Doctor Tom

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:32:03 PM by TomW »

RCpilot

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »
Thanks Tom, believe me, I am doing everything the doc said to the letter. Right now, as far as I'm concerned, my right arm don't exist. I want it to heal the best it possibly can and am taking no chances with it. Getting faster at one handed, left handed typing too!

Kelly

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:37:23 PM by RCpilot »

RCpilot

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 10:37:07 PM »
Guys, I thought I might add an update to this story and let everyone know how I am doing. Got my arm out of the cast on Dec 6 and am going to physical therapy three times a week now for about a month. I can almost make a full fist, and can almost straighten my hand out completely. The wrist movement is pretty painful right now and I only have about 50% movement in it. But, It's getting better every day and I think in a couple of months I might have most of my movement back 100% The wounds are all healed and only a long jagged scar on the forearm and a nice straight scar in my palm. I feel very fortunate that no more damage was done and the surgeon did a wonderful job of re-attaching the tendons, muscles, vessels, etc. So, very soon I am going to resume my Solar panel building and try to get a few more amps dumping into my system. I have been reading the board, just haven't felt like posting. I'm back to work and slowly getting my life back together. Cheers!

Kelly

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:37:07 PM by RCpilot »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 11:05:02 PM »
Kelly,

Glad to hear you're on the mend.  

Be sure to follow through with the physical therapy and excercises they give you.  Any discomfort now will be offset by a lifetime of improved functionality.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:05:02 PM by RP »