Author Topic: Simple Anemometer  (Read 1810 times)

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Simple Anemometer
« on: May 02, 2003, 08:33:46 PM »
have to put it on a stick and give it a tail so it can orient itself in to the wind...

Its quick and simple have to calibrate it yet stick it out the window at various speeds in the car...when you don't want the wind to blow it does and vice versa!
  I think thats about a 15Mph wind blowing in the last pic.
  Have Fun!
  Norm.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 08:33:46 PM by (unknown) »

ADMIN

Right on!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 09:11:51 AM »
Right on, Norm! It's elegant, Dirt Simple, cheap, and works. What more can I say? Great job! There's a commercial outfit that charges $40 for a similar design in the science teacher catalogs.

Cheera
DANF

« Last Edit: May 08, 2003, 09:11:51 AM by ADMIN »

troy

nifty
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 04:34:20 PM »
low tech wins again!  Why use an atom bomb when a pea shooter will do.  Get your binoculars out and you also get "optically coupled neural network modulated remote data collection" at no extra charge!

Best Regards,

troy

« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 04:34:20 PM by troy »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Always wanted one of those
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 04:51:21 PM »
That  OCNNMRDC unit. But i heard that DARPA had the only one!

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 04:51:21 PM by TomW »

BT Humble

Slightly less simple, but still cheap!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 11:34:04 PM »
A logging anemometer too!

Homebrewed anemometer
On site!

I made this using a bicycle speedometer, a (front) bicycle hub, and 3 stainless steel mixing bowls.  

The construction procedure is:

- De-spoke the wheel;

- Weld three 8" bolts to one end of the hub, threaded end out (easier if you cut the bolt heads off first);

- Pound a nice curve into the bottom of the mixing bowls (probably not necessary);

- Attach the bowls to the ends of the bolts by drilling a hole in the side of each bowl and using 2 nuts;

- Tape a magnet to one of the shafts to trigger the speedo's reed switch;

- Make some sort of bracket to hold the reed switch at an appropriate position (I used aluminium wire).

- Do the old pole-on-a-truck calibration routine. ;-)

The good part about this is that for $40 or so you can have an anemometer that will (depending on the bicycle speedometer you chose) display average windspeed, odometer, highest windspeed, trip time, etc.  The odometer on the speedo I'm using will run to 9,999km, so I can easily leave it for a week between readings.

Some sort of cover over the top of the bicycle hub to keep water out of the bearings is a good idea - I used a small spraycan cap with 3 slots cut in it so that it could be wedged over the "spokes".

BTH

« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 11:34:04 PM by BT Humble »

BT Humble

Geocities is starting to tick me off...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 09:30:04 PM »
Here's the pictures that were supposed to go with my article above:

BTH

« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 09:30:04 PM by BT Humble »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: Slightly less simple, but still cheap!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 10:04:36 PM »
Just about like I was going to make...I thought I bought an electronic bicycle speedometer its about the size of a watch it worked real good on a bicycle. Put it back in the box and now I've got all the parts except for the display part that looks like a watch....(put it in a nice safe place so I wouldn't lose it!) Need an extra sending unit? (:>) Norm
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 10:04:36 PM by Norm »