Author Topic: Online Rights the myth  (Read 1561 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Online Rights the myth
« on: May 12, 2003, 08:33:42 AM »
Assuming you were born and raised in the USA you have grown up with a right to free speech. That right is not without limitations. You may not invoke this "right" to slander another person, yell fire in a crowded theater, stand on a street corner shouting profanity, etc. Your right to free speech is by necessity a right to responsible speech.

Also, as with any right, your rights end where mine begin.

However your freedom of speech does not apply beyond public spaces. Once you enter a private dwelling or place of business the owner of that place may enforce any rules or regulations they desire regulating behaviour or  speech they feel appropriate.

Now here is the part some do not seem to understand:

The internet, and most of its component parts are operated on private equipment. bandwidth and finances. Guess what? Your freedom of speech does not exist on the internet beyond the level it is granted by the owners of the resource you are using.

So, as surpising as it may be to some, those who run this place have an absolute right to allow or dissallow anything they want be it reasonable in our eyes or not. Right, wrong or indifferent thats how it is. Lucky for all of us this board is run by even tempered, laid back folks.

Well thats how it really is please feel free to show where I am wrong.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 08:33:42 AM by (unknown) »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Way to go Tom !
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 11:14:08 AM »
If "they" abuse their right to use the off topic quarantine section and you get tired of moving it there, move them right off the board. The Admin. has been more than fair. Thank you. Dave B.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 11:14:08 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

Old F

Right on Tom
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 03:48:13 PM »
You wont hear an argument out of me on this one Tom I agree 100% : )

That why they call it (HOSTING) a site. That makes us guests until we wear out are welcome.

Old F  

« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 03:48:13 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

troy

"censorship"
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 04:05:04 PM »
Dear Tom and admin,

I really value this board for all the expertise, wisdom and humor that everyone supplies as a group.  In my humble opinion, the admin has shown a great balance between allowing for the occasion interesting off topic or controversial post, but still willing to draw the line in the sand when people (not pointing any fingers at anybody in particular) get wacko.

I'm not sure if everyone realizes how good this discussion board is.  There are lots of them out there that are not well regulated/edited, and it's painful to participate for very long.

Keep up the terrifically good work,

troy

« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 04:05:04 PM by troy »

Electric Ed

Couldn't have said it better, Tom.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 09:08:03 PM »
I agree 100% with Tom and the others on this.

I have seen other discussion boards taken over by the "lunatic fringe" and hope this is not what we are seeing the beginning of here.

Ed

« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 09:08:03 PM by Electric Ed »

Demetri

Well put, well put!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 11:21:02 PM »

« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 11:21:02 PM by Demetri »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Pretty cool...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 12:55:58 AM »
Before I posted this diary I wondered if it would set off another flamewar.

It didn't and with 5 comments in support  I must admit its one of those firsts for me. First time all responders actually agree with me on my interpretation of something political in nature.

So thanks to Dave B, Troy, Old F, Demitri and Elevtric Ed for the kind words of support. And now on with the show...

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 12:55:58 AM by TomW »

Larsanderss

Also agreeing
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 12:26:28 PM »
I see no problems with having "potentially interesting stuff" in its own zone..... I think everyone using this (or the old one) board should show some appreciation instead of beeing rude or behave like small children.....

Good evening Lars A

« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 12:26:28 PM by Larsanderss »

xeroid

Heartily Agree, and well spoken, Tom!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 10:43:40 AM »
I really appreciate your intelligent and clear explanation of freedom of speech, in it's proper context.  Too many people "claim" that right in order to belch out profanity, ignorance and nonsense.  Thanks for setting the record straight, Tom.

Regards,

Xeroid.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 10:43:40 AM by xeroid »

elvin1949

Re: Online Rights the myth
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 08:03:55 AM »
AMEN
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 08:03:55 AM by elvin1949 »