Author Topic: JerryBlade modifications and Tape Drive Motors  (Read 1425 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
JerryBlade modifications and Tape Drive Motors
« on: May 25, 2003, 04:51:43 PM »
This is the hub. It consists of a 5/8th motor Arbor adaptor:a piece of 1/8th inch 2 inch wide aluminum strap about 6 inches long. and 2 jerryblades. The root angle is 23 degrees and they are 48 inches in diameter.

This shows the shape i cut into  the original blades:

Preliminary results are that these run faster at a given windspeed over the stock JerryBlade or either of the other 2 mods I have tried.

The entire blade and hub assembly weighs 1.5 pounds which I like.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 04:51:43 PM by (unknown) »

Jerry

New Blade Mods
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 11:25:05 PM »
Hi Tom
I'll try this again?
I had thought about tyring something like what you done in this new mod just never found the time.

I was thinking about a gentle sweep from the tip and the out to the trailing edge. Kinda of an arch rather than straight back then over but I've never tryed it and it sounds like your works very well.

Could you give us some dementions? size and shap of tip,width at severall station and at what point to cut over to the trailing edge?

PS Tom thanks for your help getting me going here.

JK TAS Jerry
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 11:25:05 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

New blade mods
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 11:29:42 PM »
PS Tom
What kinda increas have you gained with these mods?  JK TAS Jerry
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 11:29:42 PM by Jerry »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Observations
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 10:39:47 AM »
Jerry;

So glad we could get you on the new board I know I really appreciate your input on a regular basis.

Right now its all by observation and my observations are that it runs  faster than either stock or mike modded but its still rough with no knife edge on that trailing edge. I'll measure it later on for the precise dimensions of the cuts.

It was just what looked good and I free handed the first one with a razor knife and just copied it on the second.

The measurements from memory  are 1.5" wide at tip with leading edge left stock. I started that radius from the root about 7" out from the point on the root section edge the radius is smooth from there to 1/2 the width of the blade at like 14 inches. then tapered to 1.5 inches on the tip.

I am fairly certain that the trailing edge being rough is impeding performance some. I don't have accurate measurement gear hooked up but we have reported 8 mph winds and mounted on my truck in the field putting out 20 volts from that 30 volt tape drive motor and will do 4 amps into a short before it slows down to a crawl. Diameter is 48" and they weigh 1.5 pounds including the arbor.

I am confident that dressing the trailiing edge to a knife edge would improve performance a lot because it wooshes while spinning. A slight radius on the tips might improve performance also.

Still got 8 blades to play with to see if these thinner blades can be gotten up to higher rpms for these tape drive motors at lower wind speeds.

Have you tried cutting these blades with a hot wire cutter or other means besides saw and razor knife?

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 10:39:47 AM by TomW »