Author Topic: pipes part 2  (Read 1539 times)

Chuck

pipes part 2
« on: August 04, 2003, 11:54:00 AM »
In my previous diary on the pipe furling system, I didn't show the generator mounting. This caused some confusion which I wanted to fix here. The photos below might help. They show two different attachment methods, but It is certainly possible to postulate others, especially for use with axial brake disk style alternators.

Above is a view of my original generator attachment scheme viewed from the front, windward side. Note the 1/4" bolts securing the pipes on the left side.

Here the generator is attached off to the right side of the mast facing the viewer. Possible adjustments are the length of the nipple between the "T" joint and the floor flange, the angle of the generator relative to the tower (Blades parallel to the tower or tilted up a bit), and the thickness of the support block, in this case a 2x6. Due to the fact that my generator is 8" in diameter, this scheme means the generator shaft is a full 8" + from the center of the mast, which gives the wind on the rotor more leverage for furling than I want. It also puts the full weight of the generator (almost 100 lbs including the hub and rotor weight) too far from the mast for my taste.

Above is the other version. In this the elbow positions the support platform above the "T" joint and off to the right roughly 4 inches from the mast center. This is closer to where I want the center of the rotor. If at some later point I want to experiment with different positions, I can easily drill out a new 2x6 and move the generator in or out from the mast (left or right in the picture).

This placement of the generator mount leads to several possibilities in useage and support options. It could be rotated forward to support an axial alternator design instead of the motor mount style. It is an easy modification to use 1/8" thick steel strapping as additional support from the support platform to the locking bolts on the "T" joint. This would further reduce the possibility of the pipes shifting position. Since the generator mount platform (the 2x6) is an inch or so above the "T" joint, a shim could be placed between the two pieces to relive the strain on the elbow joint.

For the truly paranoid, the joints can be super-glued and the pipes could be filled with epoxy or fibreglass resin after the locking bolts are installed.

This shows a simple motor mount. A floor flange bolted to a 2x6 bolted to a motor mount. The motor/generator, omitted from these photos so the support details can be seen clearly, bolts to the opposite side of the 2x6 as the flange. The flange bolts are recessed so as to allow the motor to mount flush to the 2x6. The outline of the motor mount can be seen on the following photo.

This mounting aparatus is not sleek and sexy, but it is adjustable and with proper locking precautions should give a wind generator the support it needs to stay up and running with the wind for many years. Of course, who wants that when you can take it down and readjust it so easily ?

Chuck

« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 11:54:00 AM by (unknown) »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
Re: pipes part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 03:36:41 PM »
That's very nice, chuck.

One thing you need to watch is the tnedency of pipe to shear off at the threads.  Use good thick pipe throughout if the loads are high, especially if there is any vibration.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 03:36:41 PM by scoraigwind »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 10:50:22 PM »
A really good looking system.

How does the generator you intend to fix there look like?

- hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi

« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 10:50:22 PM by hvirtane »

Chuck

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 01:41:57 PM »
Thanks Hugh,

I couldn't agree more.

I haven't tested this enough to have any idea of how much stress it can take or for how long, but I'm sure the winds of eastern Colorado are going to be up to the challenge of testing it for me.

I see two options for strengthening these potential weak spots and I'm sure there are others as well.

1. Bolting on steel support straps to resist twisting at the joints. There are already bolts there, so adding the straps should be little extra work. At the very least these straps could keep the generator from falling off the tower if shearing did occur. I like this idea from a safety standpoint.
  2. A fibreglass fill in the pipes and joints themselves to further strengthen the whole unit and increase shear strength. I don't know if imbedding steel rods in the fibreglass would help much, but it could be done easily as well.

Either or both of these steps can be done after the angles have been adjusted to one's liking. Not elegant perhaps, and it increases the complexity somewhat, but hopefully it would get the job done.

Chuck

« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 01:41:57 PM by Chuck »

Chuck

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 01:56:03 PM »
Hi Hannu,

The Generator I'll be testing this with at first is the same one I rebuilt and showed on my web site. It weighs a good 40 or 50 lbs by itself. It is shown with a prototype support system (lots of wood pieces) in the photo below.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 01:56:03 PM by Chuck »

BurksFallsMan

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 08:58:09 PM »
Chuck: I just read your diary and saw one word that called my attention.

Question: are you familiar with the writings of LRH ?

Just curious. Wilson
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 08:58:09 PM by BurksFallsMan »

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 09:00:15 AM »
I guess not, since I can't figure out who LRH might be. Interesting that one word might suggest a specific influence by someone else.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 09:00:15 AM by Chuck »

BurksFallsMan

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 10:24:39 PM »
Chuck:I cannot remember the word you used but I have heard that word only from a specific religios group (nothing wrong with them, they are superb people in my opinion) and they use it very frequently.

I am sorry if I tickle you, I did not mean to.

Thanks, Wilson
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 10:24:39 PM by BurksFallsMan »