Author Topic: my problem with larrrggggeee pictures  (Read 1690 times)

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
my problem with larrrggggeee pictures
« on: August 24, 2003, 06:15:33 AM »
of what I had to go thru. To begin with even my Ricoh RDC-300Z uploads pics to 640x480 pixels that I used to upload I'm learning that 320x240 pixels is in most cases is adequate. Now in the case of Skippy this is too much I can actually count his whiskers! I copied this file onto my desktop and rightclicked on it for properties...1.75 meg? whew! Next I tried to view it ...my screen turned white and said at the bottom done. I tried to view it on Matisse Snappy Edition, out of memory.Finally I went to Adobe PhotoDeluxe 2.0 I veiwed it something like 6.5% zoomed it up to 13% and captured it into a gif file and uploaded it so here is what it looks like, I don't mean to step on anyones toes and Skippy is a cute little rascal!Hope I'm not doing a no no by putting this picture up, if so just edit it out.I really think that we should have a link to someone's website with a tutorial on formatting jpegs, tiffs, bmps their advantages disadvantages etc. Not trying to be a wet blanket ....Norm.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 06:15:33 AM by (unknown) »

ADMIN

Re: my problem with larrrggggeee pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 09:38:27 AM »
Sorry Norm....I purposely posted a huge picture of Skippy to see if adding the "width" tag to the program that generates the image tag is working. What's odd is that it seems to be working on some people's browsers, but not others....so still working on the problem.

DANF

« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 09:38:27 AM by ADMIN »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 11:34:33 AM »
Hey that's ok since this came up I was trying to hint around in general besides being specific in this case I noticed that there was a built in width to the image...this is helpful in my case I keep forgetting the code for changing the size of pictures so if you also had it for the height it would make it easier for us dummies to change the size of pictures that we upload...anyway what it's all about it does good to exersize your brain once in awhile...eh?  (:>), Norm.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 11:34:33 AM by Norm »

Chagrin

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 10:59:17 PM »
The rule of thumb for GIF vs JPG: If you have a picture from a camera it should be displayed on the web as JPG. Line art, text, graphs, or other images where the colors are few and should remain exact should be shown as GIF. JPG file sizes will almost always be smaller than GIF.

As you can see in your picture above, the wires of the cage appear to be very jagged. This is due to the fact that GIF can only support up to 256 colors max -- your graphics application guesses as to what the best color map will be and sticks with that limited group of colors. Here, a few more shades of grey would have smoothed out that jaggedness.

Bitmaps and TIFF files should never be used on the web unless you have a very specific diagram and making the image directly viewable in the browser isn't a requirement (for example, blueprints or archived images like X-rays). PNG files are an advancement over GIF files in that they don't have the 256 color limit, have a more clever progressive loading scheme, and have advanced animation features. Unfortunately a lot of older browsers don't support PNG, but as time grows on PNG will eventually replace GIF.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 10:59:17 PM by Chagrin »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 07:36:17 AM »
   Thanks for the mini-tutorial that was my objective, since you seem to be quite knowledgable about this area I'm going to post a little pic  in my diary that has been puzzling me for quite awhile.Again thanks! Norm.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 07:36:17 AM by Norm »

sean

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 04:42:43 PM »
Hi Norm, i have a very basic snap shot digi camera which takes only jpegs it will not take extra memory so i can take 40 pics at 1.3m pixs or 60 at slightly less or 120 at 640x480. All my pics on my site were done in 1.3m pixels and reduced to 20% but ive since found that just taking them at 640X480 is more than adequate for posting on a web page and although theres a few different formats on the net nowadays im still more than happy looking at Jpegs, just my thoughts on the subject...........sean
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 04:42:43 PM by sean »