Author Topic: Fisher and Paykel Tests  (Read 1076 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Fisher and Paykel Tests
« on: September 23, 2003, 04:10:50 PM »
Well, folks, I got myself a nice F&P Smart Drive motor through my vast connections online.

I looked at lots of info on them. Well "lots" is relative since there is not a whole lot published about them just yet.

It is a radial design. Mine has 42 coils of 1.6 mm wire [thats .062 in inches or about #16]. Its 3 phase with 14 coils per phase. The coils have 42 wraps each in two layers. The rotor has 14 of what appear to be ferrite or ceramic magnets.

This picture shows the unit the way it came via UPS.

I studied it awhile and did some preliminary tests once I figured out how to assemble it. Stock it has way too much resistance in the phases for RE use. I got a box of terminal blocks like these below on EbaY to break out the coils so I could wire them as needed to get the right output levels.

Thats not my stator its a picture I found someplace online. Mine currently looks very similar.

After thinking about it awhile I decided to split the coils out into pairs. This gave me individual pairs that were .3 ohms by my meter.

I built a test jig to hold the bearing assembly so I could test a coil pair in the drillpress at known RPMs. Following is the data I have so far:

One coil pair connected to a 35 amp bridge:

210 RPM:

No load

AC volts into bridge: 3.4 VAC

DC volts out of bridge: 2.9 VDC

1 ohm load on DC side of bridge:

AC volts into bridge: 3.1 VAC

DC volts out of bridge: 1.4 VDC

Amps into 1 ohm: 1.5 Amps DC.

305 RPM:

No load

AC volts into bridge: 5.4 VAC

DC volts out of bridge: 5.0 VDC

AC volts into bridge: 4.5 VAC

DC volts out of bridge: 2.5 VDC

Amps into 1 ohm: 2.7 Amps DC.

450 RPM:

No load

AC volts into bridge: 7.55 VAC

DC volts out of bridge: 7.0 VDC

AC volts into bridge: 5.6 VAC

DC volts out of bridge: 3.4 VDC

Amps into 1 ohm: 3.5 Amps DC.

900 RPM:

No load

AC volts into bridge: 14.3 VAC

DC volts out of bridge: 14.7 VDC

AC volts into bridge: 7.0 VAC

DC volts out of bridge: 5.0 VDC

Amps into 1 ohm: 5.5 Amps DC.

Remember, this is one pair of coils in one phase. There are 14 coils in 3 phases in this motor. It is reasonable to assume the voltage out for one phase times 7 will equal the phase output voltage if connected in series. Of course the current for an entire phase will not be more than the current from one coil.

Thats it for just now but I will update this as I get more data so check back if interested.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 04:10:50 PM by (unknown) »

EcoInnovation

Re: Fisher and Paykel Tests
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 02:01:25 AM »
Hi,

We tested these units about a year ago. There are 3 units in the series. I call them 100S, 80S and 60S. This relalate to the approx' wire diameter in mm, 1.0mm, 0.8mm, 0.6mm. The picture is one of our my realier tries. We do it very differently today, you can make a annular copper ring and solder all the connections on, then cover in hot glue and do the necx annular ring. It is much tidier and quicker.

IF you want a copy of the test results I have then all on an excel file, just send me an email.

We get all the unit that F$P remove on their recycling line. Currently several hundred in stock. WeE sell them for around US$150 deliverd to your door including a manual on how to reconnect them. Ww include a new shaft and bearing assembly and it is machnied and fitted into a box section for easy mounting. For and extra $50 we sell a de-cogged version which is made by machining the stator so that it is suitable for wind turbines. We have a 48 v model with a 1.5m prop upto 650 Watts aty the moment.

Regards

Michael  

« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 02:01:25 AM by EcoInnovation »

digi1

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 05:54:48 PM »
Hi Michael, Were do I find your email to request excell file of test results, I am currently reseaching to build my own unit based on this same f&p stator, Thanks if you can help

Daniel

« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 05:54:48 PM by digi1 »

BurksFallsMan

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 09:00:04 PM »
Tom : I was looking at "Old History" and saw that you experimented with and Fisher & Paykel motor> What was the final outcome?

Thanks, Wilson
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 09:00:04 PM by BurksFallsMan »