Author Topic: Fun with meters  (Read 1183 times)

jimu

Fun with meters
« on: October 31, 2003, 05:21:39 PM »
  One of the things we all love are meters. Over the years, I have bought some used or surplus meters here, and some there, some are given to me, and others I find on ebay.

My latest find was on ebay, some Surplus new in box 1975 Beede 100 mv full scale meters, each costing about 4 bucks..

Using a freeware program, called meter.exe and a HP-GL capable laser printer, I can make a meter face for just about any size and shape meter one can think of.

The one I made today was for a PV application where I needed 20 amps full scale, and using a shunt out of 12 guage copper wire that I calibrated to drop 5 mv per amp.

These Beede meters are very easy to open and access the original blank face plate, and using the meter.exe program, designed exactly what I wanted. I then cut out the face I made, sprayed on some 3m adhesive, and reassembled.

Here is the result:

I have made several 11 to 15 volt expanded scale voltmeters, small amp meters, large amp meters etc, using proper scaling resisors and shunts.

More to come on meters.

JimU

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:21:39 PM by (unknown) »

Old F

Re: Fun with meters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 05:44:07 PM »
Jim

Were did you get the freeware ?

Old F

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:44:07 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

jimu

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 05:47:30 PM »
Guess I should have added that  :-)

http://www.realhamradio.com/Meter.htm

JimU

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:47:30 PM by jimu »

zubbly

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 04:52:28 AM »
hey jimu. beautiful job on the meter. just a suggestion. i guess what makes us all happy is when you see the needle riding the higher end of the scale. how about incorporating a sad face from the bottom end just under the numbers to the happiest face possible under the 20 amp scale. he he, call it a jimu meter. just crazy zub talkin, but it would be neat!

my two cents worth-----zubbly

« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 04:52:28 AM by zubbly »