Author Topic: Wincharger Rebuild  (Read 4373 times)

DonG

Wincharger Rebuild
« on: December 31, 2003, 07:59:17 PM »
I bought this Wincharger 32 Volt 1000 watt that had taken a bad fall. There's some broken parts and the prop is missing.

The airbrake was badly bent.

The tail casting and prop hub were broken.

The generator was complete except for missing through bolts. They are 9 1/2" long. I'll have to make new ones from 5/16" rod and thread the ends.

I bought a junk gearbox for twenty dollars that had a good tail casting and the pulley arm that I was missing. The shaft was frozen and one of the other castings was broken.

I installed new bearings and gaskets in the gearbox and painted all the pieces Rustoleum Sunrise Yellow. The original Wincharger color is a mustard yellow brown color. I couldn't paint it that color. It reminded me of something in a baby's diaper.

I removed the rivets and started straightening the airbrake last weekend but I ran out of oxygen for my torch. I should get it finished this weekend. The rivets are unavailable. I'm going to have to make some.

Looked through a whole bunch of two by sixes at Home Depot to get some that I could cut up to remove the knots. I alternated the grain on the pieces when I glued them together to prevent warping.

Here's the assembly a little further along. I've installed the tail casting with the new pin that I made and the pulley arm has a new pin and stainless pulley.

The turntable has a broken weld on the lower three point mount. It's also missing the top mount castings. They are impossible to find so I'm going to have to make some. The sliprings and brushes are in excellent shape.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 07:59:17 PM by (unknown) »

Old F

Re: Wincharger Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 09:31:29 PM »
Don

You have the old gal LOOKING GOOD.

what is she rated at?

I just love things older than my self.

But they are getting harder and harder to find : )

Old F

« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 09:31:29 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

DonG

Re: Wincharger Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 12:03:12 PM »
Old F,

Thanks. It's a Wincharger Model 3229 rated at 32 volts and 1000 watts. The rated cut in speed is supposed to be around 7-10 mph. The geargbox has about a 10 to 1 ratio. I'm going to use it to charge 24 volts instead of the rated 32 volts. These are noisy high maintenance antiques. But, it's a lot of fun searching for the parts and fixing them.

DonG

« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 12:03:12 PM by DonG »

wdyasq

Straigtening Sheet Metal
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 06:37:57 PM »
Don,

Most sheet metal can be straightened without heat.  Any stretching that occurs can be 'spot shrunk' by heating a small area- it will 'rise'- the area that raised - while still hot, can be hammered flat with light blows on a dolly.  When it cools it will shrink pulling a little more of the stretched area in.

Good luck,
Ron
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 06:37:57 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

DonG

Re: Straigtening Sheet Metal
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 07:18:27 PM »
I was able to straighten out the airbrake flap without heat. The tail was in worse shape than it looks in the picture. It was bent and stretched. We ran it through a roller at a sheet metal shop then tried to heat shrink some of the stretched spots. I've done that before on heavier sheet metal. This is a very light gauge metal and uses vertical bolt on supports to stiffen it. I've lost the temper in the metal and it "oil cans" now. I could spend some more time "working it" and get it right but Terry Bryant, who sells Wincharger parts, is making a run of new galvanized tails for $129.00. I'm just going to break down and buy one. This old one will go in my parts pile.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 07:18:27 PM by DonG »

belleviewusa

Re: Straigtening Sheet Metal
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 02:01:56 PM »
   DonG:

We also are re-building a 3229.

Have tried contacting you through your post re:diodes replacing cut-out relay.

I am very interested in a schematic diagram of your Allied control panel,as ours is non-existant.I could also use a listing of all components used,as well as their values.

Hope to get the old girl up and running again someday.

Thanks.

David Sander-Ladd

Manitoba,Canada

belleview_usa@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 02:01:56 PM by belleviewusa »