Author Topic: Power Transfer over distance [L/C circuit]  (Read 4107 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Power Transfer over distance [L/C circuit]
« on: February 16, 2004, 09:57:52 PM »
Folks;

Awhile ago charged [I think] brought up the idea of transferring power over distance with light gage conductors. It was a system of pulsing the DC from your sources through an inductor and a capacitor and collecting the power at the far end then dumping to batteries through a pulser type circuit. This quickly evolved into a discussion on pulse charging.

I have built a purely capacitive pulse charger and like how it works.

I would like to discuss this power transfer method in some detail here and would appreciate any insight any of you may have as far as inductor values and other details.

My specific situation is about 400 feet to my wind area and I would like to find a way to use power I could produce at that location here at the shop.

I would really appreciate it if we can keep focused on this system rather than revisit the bedini motors, pulse chargers, just use heavier wire advice etc.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 09:57:52 PM by (unknown) »

monte350c

Re: Power Transfer over distance [L/C circuit]
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 06:22:26 AM »
Hi TomW,

Thanks for this diary - I also have the same sort of distance to conquer. It will be interesting to see the cap/induction circuits that show up here.

Please don't shoot me for this idea - I'm playing now with a couple of 120 to 12 volt, 10 amp transformers which are quite cheap - thus:

No caps I realize, but a pretty cheap way to reduce amps on the main lines.  

I'll post again after more testing...

Have fun!

Ted.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 06:22:26 AM by monte350c »

charged

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 07:32:55 AM »
Inductor current-handling capability is more important than it's inductance value.

This circuit is essentially the same thing as a high-efficiency 1:1 DC-DC converter, just a much larger scale and you're only transferring high voltage emf spikes, not primary current.

Scavenge a microwave oven transformer and dispose of the windings.

Rewind it with a bifilar winding of something like #12 magnet wire, as many turns as you can fit on the core. The exact number of turns doesn't matter much, just fill it up.

What's important is that both windings are basically the same impedance and the overall inductance ends up being very high.

Just about all the basic circuitry needed is already posted on this list.

Charge a large cap directly with the generator. Use a 555 based pulse circuit (PWM) to drive an optocoupler. The optocoupler controls a power transistor(s) in a darlington arrangement. That power transistor pulses the capacitor across the transformer primary.

First use a low pulse frequency and adjust the pulse-width for maximum emf output. Then turn the frequency up.

The first phase of the secondary output will be at the same voltage as the input capacitor. The second phase will be the inductive pulse, after the transistor shuts off.

Use a 1kv full-wave bridge rectifier directly across the secondary. The DC output from the bridge is the sent down the long wire to the HV caps at the other end. Those receiving caps need to have at least 400v tolerance. The more capacitance this HV cap bank has, the better.

You then connect the HV cap bank to your larger discharge bank through a heavy inductor so that no HV spikes can hit the LV bank.

As long as your receiving capacitor bank is never drawn down BELOW the generator voltage (at the cap on the primary), ONLY EMF will travel the long wire. This means the wire can be pretty thin.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 07:32:55 AM by charged »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 09:15:27 AM »
Tom W & Charged

I've been thinking about this. Back in the 70's I used to use CDI ignitions in my cars.

I even built a few from scratch. Some were kits from Allied Radio. Some were Delta Mark 10s.

They all had a solid state high voltage power supplys, about 400 volts I think?

These would charge a 2 UF cap and the dump the charged cap accross the ign. coil. This was done through an SCR. They claimed rpm to 50,000.

I've often thought that the ign. coil could be replace by a lower voltage higher amperage transformer.

A 555 timmer could be used to replace the points. Voltage doubler circuts could replace the invertor section.

On my exersize bike I use a 6 pole furnace blower motor that makes 150v when I pedle fast or an easy 70 volts pedling easy. It dose the same volts in the wind. An alt. like this  might be a wind genny voltage source for the long distance small wire thing.

Just some thoughts. Now tell were I went wrong?     JK TAS Jerry

Just some ideas.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 09:15:27 AM by Jerry »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 10:00:12 AM »
Ted;

Thanks, but I have thought of this already and about 20 other ways including simply putting some batteries and an inverter at the remote location and pumping the shop batteries with the inverter output which is essentially what your transformer to transformer idea would do. For all I know that way may be the best most efficient method but time will tell.

The whole inductive load into capacitive load just feels ripe for exploration. I think it may prove to be a good way to move moderate power over great distances with low losses since the current and voltage get out of phase in the inductor [transformer in this case] and since power loss in a conductor is calculated as voltage drop times current at a point in time since the voltage and current happen at different times the loss is minimal.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:00:12 AM by TomW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 10:23:08 AM »
charged;

Thanks. I thought you had proposed a bit different approach that discharged through a series inductor rather than a 1:1 transformer but may be totally wrong. Thats why I asked for specifics, I guess.

I know I have everything including a spool of #12 mag wire except high voltage caps on hand but just can't find my stash of microwave transformers just yet. I will post what i find as it happens but may be a bit before i get good data.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:23:08 AM by TomW »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 10:25:35 AM »
The transformers only work well at 60hz frequency though . . .
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:25:35 AM by wooferhound »

Old F

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 04:30:21 PM »
Ted

I have been thinking along the same line . I thinking you could feed the DC from the generator

to a chopper set at 60 hz this would keep the transformers working at there best efficience.

Like a crude inverter with an square wave.

And I have a question about pules charging for any one doing it.

What would you use for a dump load when the batteries are at full charge and the wind is still

blowing ?

Old F    

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 04:30:21 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

drdongle

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 10:32:37 PM »
That isn't strictly true, as frequency rises the transformer core will handle more power (watts). thats why military equipment is often 400 or 1600 Hz the transformers can be smaller for equivalent power at 60 Hz. The power transformers in many of the newer professional grade power amps weigh less than a pound and will handle 2KW because they operate at very high frequencys.

Unfortunitaly most of the alternators we have and make put out less than 60 Hz at the wind speeds we normally see... oh well.

Dr.D

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:32:37 PM by drdongle »

charged

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 07:19:45 AM »
Ok, here's the deal.

The series-inductor method still uses primary current on the wire. That's a bucking configuration and it's a very efficient way to directly step down the power from a high voltage source and efficiently charge caps at lower voltages. Say, you have a 110v generator in the house. Just full-wave rectify the output into a cap. Then use that bucking inductor to charge your discharge bank using PWM before the inductor and a rectifier to collect the emf which also goes into the cap. The caps charge at nearly 100% efficiency and you can stop at any voltage below your generator voltage.

This is why I've posted that DC-DC converter tutorial page in various places in this message base. I stuck another diary page in with that page linked.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/2/18/64547/3106

The idea behind what I'm really talking about is PURE EMF TRANSFER.

All these PWM DC-DC engineers don't seem to understand the full power transmission potential of what they're working with. They build these into small inverters and assume that emf collection behaves just the same as DC in resistive circuits.

This very similar to the way RF oscillators can send huge wattages down a hair-fine wire with almost no loss.

The main difference is that these simple PWM systems transmit power not as  "oscillations" or AC. It's a steady stream of uni-directional impulses that are almost pure potential with no "current" involved. This is Tesla's "longitudinal wave" discovery. It's the method of energy transmission that caused him to declare all of his own AC systems a complete failure. Nobody paid any attention because they were already wired fully for AC. Tesla would have been better off if he'd just left all of Edison's

Anyway....Tesla method....

Isolate your low-voltage, heavy current to a very small, low impedance circuit (1:1 transformer primary), in impulses that are of a width just short of building a full-field in the transformer core.  

On the secondary, with a scope, you'll see the primary input pulse as a half-wave of the same voltage as the primary. When the primary pulse cuts off, you then see an emf "needle" on the secondary that can go up to some pretty extreme potentials. This is why you need a 1kv full-wave rectifier. You don't want to lose any of the emf if you can help it.

If you have two batteries of exactly the same voltage, one feeding the primary and one receiving power DIRECTLY from the full-wave rectified secondary, you would see no current flow DURING the input pulse on the primary.

Making sense now? Same voltage on both sides of a 1:1 transformer means NO CURRENT FLOW in the secondary winding during the input pulse to the primary.

BUT, the EMF is a much higher potential and ONLY IT is able to go higher than the recieving battery voltage in order to pass through the battery and the 1.2v rectifier voltage-drop. But, the EMF spike from the inductor is NOT what you want to hit the battery with. The EMF will charge the battery. But, not efficiently at all because of the impedance mismatch. The battery has difficulty translating pure potentials into real charge.

So, you dump a bunch of emf spikes into a cap, ramp-charging it very efficiently, until it's high enough above your battery voltage. Then dump the cap across the battery. WHAM! The caps easily translate the emf impulses back into usable current.

The rectified EMF from the secondary will easily travel a long way down a thin wire since it's not ANYTHING LIKE inverted AC power. AC power still has an "electron current" and is subject to wire resistance.

This system is really a "transmitter", not an "inverter". The capacitor is your "receiver" in this case. Very high efficiency.

You could do this with nothing but a simple "buzzer" circuit on the primary and still have fairly high efficiencies. But, Transistors make a lot less ozone and they last longer!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 07:19:45 AM by charged »

charged

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 12:59:38 PM »
Here's a very small segment from Tesla's autobiography that was dealing with his "magnifying transmitter". This simple 1:1 transformer PWM system is ONE embodiment of the magnifying transmitter principles.

...by virtue of which design it becomes highly efficient and effective in the wireless transmission of energy. Distance is then absolutely eliminated, there being no diminuation in the intensity of the transmitted impulses...

His impulse power transmission patents cover wireless and "wired" transmission/reception methods using various peak potentials.

Each separate system is engineered for it's specific task but remains true to the underlying principles. Once you KNOW the principles, you WILL SEE them in every circuit where they are being used. You'll also begin to get a little frustrated when you see how most commercial equipment makers could be producing AMAZING, yet relatively simple devices. All the while they continue to sell mediocre junk in the guise of "high tech". In this day and age, they all seem to think that adding more IC's to their designs makes them superior to the competition.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 12:59:38 PM by charged »

RatOmeter

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 02:44:10 PM »
As I was reading Tesla's bio (thanks much for the link), I imagined someone trying to reproduce some of his large scale transmitter experiments in modern times.  You'd need a very remote location to avoid the ire of the FCC (and their international counterparts) and that of anyone with almost any kind of communications receiver worldwide.

That got me thinking of the potential for EMI/RFI issues with respect to this power transmission plan.  I'd expect there to be a great deal of high frequency component in the pulses, with the real possibility of harmonics on across a broad range of communication frequencies; think spark-gap transmitter.  Radiated EMI/RFI would also be a source of losses in your transmission line, besides dousing your neighbors with interference. My radio theory starts getting weak beyond this point.  

Have you noticed any appreciable interference during experiments? Would coaxial cable be the best transmission line?

-RatOmeter

« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 02:44:10 PM by RatOmeter »

charged

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 06:42:14 AM »
Since the pulse is on a wire that's essentially "grounded" on it's far end through an electrolytic cap, the RFI doesn't amount to much. This is not an oscillation. It's a series of unidirectional pulses that each make a single journey in a single direction.

Solid state switching and rectification eliminate the pesky arc oscillations that normally happen in mechanical contact switching systems.

One of Tesla's greatest difficulties was in developing ways to make spark-gaps that would prevent arc oscillations. We can do this easily with all the stuff we have today.

For all the convoluted methods he was forced to try, all WE need to do is put an HV rectifier on one side of the spark-gap.

You want RFI? Try listening to an AM radio inside a welding shop. Lot's more noise coming from places like that than from any, essentially tiny, power transfer system you might string together. The FCC won't even bother with these 1kw CB transmitters all over the place. I don't think they'll even notice what amounts to the same RFI as a doorbell buzzer, at it's worst.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 06:42:14 AM by charged »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Microwave transformer cores question.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 11:13:42 AM »
charged;

At the risk of sounding stupid, I have about 8 microwave transformers and have removed the windings from 2. They are pretty much all identical in construction and have the E and I laminated cores and all of them are welded such that I can't disassemble them without grinding off the welds which sems to ruin them for compact reassembly. Any suggestions on a method for rewinding 2 #12 copper wires which are simply too stiff to pass back and forth through the openings in the welded core. I have considered simply lopping off one end so I could wind the 1:1 transformer on a bobbin and slip it over the center section after I lop off the I section on the top [or bottom].

Any tips or pointers appreciated.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 11:13:42 AM by TomW »

charged

Re: Microwave transformer cores question.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 08:36:44 AM »
Hi Tom!

Any time I cut cores I just grind the weld out so they fit back together cleanly. Then I use my el-cheapo Walmart welder to zip'em back together.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 08:36:44 AM by charged »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 07:51:10 PM »
charged;

Well, I did some, shall I say, creative grinding on some of the more likely looking nuker transformers I had in the pile. Managed to get about 90 to 95 feet of #12 bifilar wound on it. Seems to be about the max I can stuff in the space. I didn't count the windings but it was calculated as 11 in a row and 7 deep but I think it is more like 65 to 70 turns in there because I am not the best coil winder. I simply fit all the copper in the space I could. Tomorrow I will first test it for shorts with the clamps holding it and if it passes I will see if I can get a bead across the ground off welds. Thanks for the insight and getting me past that hump.

Anyway just wanted to pass that on. It was actually not as hard to do as I thought. I used a slightly oversized block of wood to wind it on then I wrapped it well with tape and stuck it in the vise to compress the sides that had to clear the outside legs on the core. This effectively released it from the wood block and after I taped the sharp corners on the core I just pressed the windings onto the center of the E and clamped the I end back on.

The first one i checked had interlocked E and I sections that needed to be completely disassembled to get a new winding on. The next 2 when I ground off the welds on one end the I sections all came off at once. Even managed to salvage the coils intact on those with some creative clamping and vice work.

Just an update on the progress towards testing this process. I think I got everything else I need for the test. Still more questions than answers so far.

Someone mentioned coax as a feedline and I have access to a fair length of that on a roll that I could probably just borrow for a test. Otherwise my initial tests will be with something like a roll of 300 feet of #14 romex or something.

Any feedback or ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 07:51:10 PM by TomW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
First steps with interesting results...
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2004, 11:30:03 AM »
Folks;

Well, I decided to proceed slowly and do some experiments with low voltages to see what I would see.

I have a circuit breadboarded up that I have been fooling with as the driver for my pulse charger. It runs off of a 5 volt dc wall wart and is connected to my decade box so I can vary the pulse rate. It has been simply sitting here flashing LEDs and driving a smallish DC brushed motor.

I have connected the output from the IGBT to my 1:1 transformer and the output of the 1:1 transformer to a 100 volt 15,000 microfarad capacitor. The transformer is dead on 1:1 on 122 VAC into it it has 122 VAC on the output.

I guess my main thought in this experiment was to see if I could collect those transient spikes that are the core of this process.

I disconnected the motor that was on the output and connected the circuit to the transformer / bridge / capacitor stage.

Dismal results. Set up this way I was only charging the cap up to 3.7 volts or so. OK, maybe it doesn't actually work.

I reached over and shoved the wires from the motor into the holes on the breadboard to see if the circuit was still outputting voltage. The voltage on the cap immediately started to climb as the motor started to turn! I have seen it get up to 27+ volts on that cap but only with the motor in circuit across the input to the 1:1 transformer.

I have 2 theories on what is happening here.

1. The added inductance from the motor windings is interacting somehow and boosting the transients into the transformer.
  2. The brush arcing from the motor are creating spikes that are giving the boost.

I reached up and held the motor shaft so it couldn't move and the voltage climbs the same as when it is turning this seems to eliminate the brush arcing as the source of the spikes. Which seems to indicate the motor inductance is involved in boosting the spikes.

Any theories or ideas would be helpful.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 11:30:03 AM by TomW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: First steps with interesting results...
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004, 02:46:38 PM »
Folks;

Egg on face time. Not sure exactly what changed but I unhooked things and moved them out of the way to let it run awhile. After I reconnected things the phenomenon went away. Weird stuff. In fact it works better now motor or no motor. I was seeing collection capacitor voltage above 65 volts after the relocation. So with a 5 volt source pulsed through a 1:1 transformer I was collecting 13X the input voltage. No data on power being moved but the voltage comes right up as soon as it starts running. So ignore the part about the motor boosting voltage. I must be going soft in the head.

Sorry for the false report.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 02:46:38 PM by TomW »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2004, 05:25:59 PM »
 If I'm remembering right ,  a long length of coax cable is a capaciter 'as is'.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 05:25:59 PM by wooferhound »

charged

Re: First steps with interesting results...
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2004, 06:35:55 AM »
Hi Tom!

No egg that I can see on your face.

Sounds like you're now beginning to understand how that 1:1 transformer really works.

Although your test components might be damaged goods at this point....

Your receiving cap should really be rated at a bare minimum of 400v though. 100v peak tolerance, I'll almost guarantee you, is letting some of that EMF blast through the innards of that capacitor.

Here's the big advantage in using this system for boosting voltage. You can vary the output voltage ANYWHERE inside the maximum EMF voltage that you can collect on the capacitor. If you want 120v pulses, just discharge the cap at the 120v point. Controlling that discharge with a transistor will let you do a limited discharge, say, only down to 100v, then stop the output pulse. This lets you rock the cap voltage back up to 120v and then dump another pulse. This is how you power a 120v load efficiently (heating element?). It's only a little different than using fixed voltage AC. The cool part is that in a real pinch you can build a purely mechanical system to do this so you could run HV loads from a low voltage battery bank. So many permutations available that it can be a universal fix-all for load control.

For example, Put a 25% duty commutator on your motor shaft. Wire the commutator between your power source ground and the negative lead of the transformer primary. Hook the motor terminals between battery positive and the transformer positive. Then give it a spin to get it going. You might want some flywheel mass on the motor shaft. Now you have a mechanical transformer driver with no solid-state parts. But, you WILL have a small light-show on the pulse-commutator.

Anyway, I'm rambling again....

Your component problem (my take on it anyway):

If you're peaking out at 65v or so, you should do a DC charge test with 120v DC to see if the cap is now leaking current above the 65v threshold. I'd be suprised if it isn't.

I've ruined several LARGE low voltage caps with direct emf collection. Now I put a bunch of 600v caps across the primary emf reception point, ALWAYS. Then run wires from that small bank, down to the larger caps.

Even though you're only putting 5v DC pulses into the primary, the emf voltage is always WAY above that. Basically, the emf voltage is a function of the field-collapse speed as it falls back into the core (almost the speed of light). That's why the rectifier bridge needs to be a 1kv tolerance and the caps should be at least 400v tolerance.

Once you have the high voltage components in place, all you need to do is adjust the pulse-width and frequency for max transformer transfer efficiency.

When transmitting the power down a long wire, let the receiving caps develop maximum voltage. Then pulse THOSE HV caps through a bucking inductor(see the DC-DC tutorial page), down into your low voltage bank. I'm piecing together a comprehensive block circuit diagram that will be in the diary section shortly. Not much time to play lately because they've been keeping me for O.T. at work the last few weeks.

I'm going to now suggest that you spend a couple of dollars and order one particular book. Barnes and Noble usually have one on the shelf.

"The Inventions, Researches and Writings of Nikola Tesla", ISBN #1-56619-812-7

Start reading at the bottom of page 202, "Now compare this phenomenon which you have just witnessed....."

This is where he is describing some of the first observed differences between his high frequency AC systems, and his systems that operate by "adjusting the discharge circuit so that there are NO OSCILLATIONS set up in it..."

Here's where he is beginning to demonstrate how pulsed DC systems prove much more practical and useful in many ways than his older AC designs.

These are the "uni-directional pulse" systems that Peter Lindemann describes in his books and videos.

In a nutshell, with this 1:1 tranformer thingy you're only touching the very tip of the iceburg. It only gets more interesting the deeper you dig!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:35:55 AM by charged »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 09:36:59 AM »
charged;

I have a simple question I can't unravel in my head:

If I use #12 in my primary on the 1:1 transformer can I use something smaller on the secondary?

I ask because I want to try an idea I have for a much larger transformer based on two E sections back to back and wound through the openings in the E sections. I can get a lot more wraps this way and the winding would be much simpler to do. My theory is that the secondary has very little current flow after the initial charge gets into the caps.

Necessity being the mother of invention I am running low on #12 but have a spool of both #20 and #16 on hand.

Maybe I am off my rocker on this but it seems it would work and it would allow me to get a lot bigger primary winding from materials on hand.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 09:36:59 AM by TomW »

charged

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2004, 06:50:13 AM »
 Well, you can pretty much do it whatever way you might want. But, you'll causing a little bit of an impedance mismatch between the primary and secondary.

If you're going to keep your receiving caps up near the peak emf voltage then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you wind it as a "step up" transformer, your EMF voltages will climb higher than the 1kv or 600v caps will be able to collect efficiently, or without being damaged. This is the main reason for the 1:1 deal. It keeps the emf below 500v or so. This way it's easy to get components relatively cheap.

At best, I can suggest that you just try it and see what happens.

I'm still in the experimenting stages as well. And some of you folks are catching up pretty fast!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 06:50:13 AM by charged »

RobC

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2004, 08:33:59 AM »
Just a a bit more info here on my setup. It is a microwave transformer 1:1 turns no.12 wire 30 turns each bifilar wound, 1000 volt bridge rec, 350v 2000uf capacitor, Irf 640 mosfet driven by 555 timer circut. What I have seen so far is that frequency and pulse width make a big difference in output. A 1.5 volt input will output over 200V. Next I tried 12v input but used a car headlight as a load to keep the peak voltage from going out of sight. By tuning the circut changing the frequencypulse width of the driver circut the output really went up. Result one very bright headlight and very hot diodes. I think without the load I would have blown my capacitor and mosfet. For what its worth. RobC
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 08:33:59 AM by RobC »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2004, 09:51:51 AM »
RobC;

Kind of makes you wonder how many uses there may be for this system. My 5 volt tests amazed me and 1.5 volts can be had very easily over a broad range of windspeeds and even tiny solar cells.

Here is where all the efficiency nuts get to chime in asking if it is very efficient but in my mind anything you get from sub charge voltage sources is pure gain.

I am still pretty confused on how your circuit is rigged altho I know I saw it once I can't seem to find it back just now.

Is it this circuit?:

http://casemods.pointofnoreturn.org/pwm/circuit2.html

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 09:51:51 AM by TomW »

RobC

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2004, 02:21:27 PM »
No thats not it. I will try to post a schematic as soon as possible. Basically you just pulse whatever input voltage you have into the primary side  of the transformer at whatever pulse rate and duty cycle you want. Then put the output of the secondary  through a bridge recitifer and into a large capacitor and then do whatever you want with it. The 555 timer has its own power source so it doesn't care what the input voltage is, all it has to do is turn the mosfet off and on. I have to tell you I am amazed at the voltage boost you get from a 1:1 transformer. If you want email me, wzrdrob@yahoo.com and I will mail you the schematic.  Next on my list of things to do is to try to increase the power levels and send it over long distances. RobC
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 02:21:27 PM by RobC »

RobC

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2004, 03:25:01 PM »
I just noticed the schematic posted by charged in here in Toms diary  and it shows almost exactly what I am doing. The main difference is I am currently using a mosfet instead of a transistor it may not be the best choice but its what I have at the moment. One thing I have to do is give (charged) the credit for getting me started on this idea. Anyway, Tom, I really feel that this particular line of experimentation has great potential.  Keep it up.

Thanks RobC

« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 03:25:01 PM by RobC »

charged

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2004, 08:12:45 PM »
I appreciate the appreciation. But, I have to, in turn, direct those thanks back to John Bedini. He's the one that got me started on this 1:1 transformer and capacitive pulse-charging thing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 08:12:45 PM by charged »

charged

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 10:41:23 AM »
Hi Tom!

I added another link in the diary. Just substitute the 1:1 transformer for the HV coils they're showing. Basically what we're doing here is building a sort of CDI ignition system, but with low voltage.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/2/18/64547/3106

« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 10:41:23 AM by charged »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Some Conclusions:
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2004, 08:21:27 AM »
Folks;

Please see my comment on my conclusions on the longwire power transfer system over here:

http://www.fieldlines.com/comments/2004/3/19/212530/294/6#6

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 08:21:27 AM by TomW »