Author Topic: The New Oscillosope  (Read 1011 times)

BurksFallsMan

The New Oscillosope
« on: May 11, 2004, 12:57:49 PM »
Saturday was not a bad day ! Picked up a Textronix Oscilloscope for US$20.00

Owner said that time sweep was not working. I read manual and set up as indicated and whala....there is channel 1 & 2 working fine (to me).

Except for looking at the shape of my inverter "modified sine-wave" (read probably rectangular) I have no many ideas of what to use it for. Maybe to look at the ripple on those alternators ?

Any suggestions ? I am good in mechanical engineering but only limited basic exposure to electronics.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 12:57:49 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: The New Oscillosope
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 06:28:55 PM »
An oldie but a goodie, except that this a vacuum tube scope so you might want to scrounge up some spares. Scopes are great for looking at any signal in a system. One of my favorite used is as a component checker for diodes and transistors. With about $10.00 in new parts this component tester will remove any doubt regarding wither a solid stated device is good, bad or mediocre.

Go to http://octopus.freeyellow.com/octopus.html

Dr.d

« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 06:28:55 PM by drdongle »

BurksFallsMan

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 06:47:17 PM »
Superb! You gave me some ideas. Now I need to digest that so I can understand what the heck I am doing.

Tank you very much, Wilson
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 06:47:17 PM by BurksFallsMan »

finnsawyer

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 09:35:48 AM »
You know what that cost new?  You have a great scope there.  Check my posting on Bedini Motors for an idea on measuring the output for pulse chargers.  I'm in the process of putting together an Elenco power supply kit that has ac as well as dc outputs.  Edlie electronics carries it.  Costs around $60.  The ac outputs are great for checking diodes (regular or zeners) with the scope.  I've dealt with that on one of my comments.  You could even display the characteristics of transistors.  At least one curve at a time.  Have fun.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 09:35:48 AM by finnsawyer »