Author Topic: biodiesel cogeneration  (Read 1724 times)

12volt dan

biodiesel cogeneration
« on: July 01, 2004, 08:04:52 AM »
 I,ve been useing this site for the  photo uploads for a while and while this isn't about wind it does cover alternative energy.

the problem here in the winter is the low sun hours with little wind (unless it's a blizzard) and very cold temps (- 40 degrees on some mornings). the need for a heat source is well, obvious as well as the need for power.

my plan is to build a stackwall/cordwood masonary shed to house the diesel and keep it warm between cycles since a block heater is out of the question. the sound insulation is a bonus as well. I plan to use biodiesel also so i,m looking at a heated/insulated tank as well

Anyway seeing as I;m useing the poto storage I though you might like to see a pic

« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:04:52 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: biodiesel cogeneration
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 08:20:59 AM »
Pretty cool...

I'm looking foward to a similar project soon hopefully.  What sort of engine are you working with?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:20:59 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

12volt dan

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 08:49:23 AM »
 I work as a truck and coach tech so I picked up a cummins 5.9L

Iknow its overkill but I'll never wear it out either. the 5.9 was an efficent engine also so I'm installing an Ac genny for "load" to burn enough fuel for heat.

when they were installed in the pickups in this neck of the woods the complaint was that they were cold unless you were working them. As for the load I was going to install elec basebords (ya I know inefficent dinosaurs) and gain a bit on the heat. since heat is the no 1 in the equation I planed to have the engine start via house thermostat and heat water/glycol witch is the pumped to a storage tank in the house and on to the rooms

« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:49:23 AM by 12volt dan »

kirk

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 04:22:27 PM »
I notice the cordwood construction. Have you looked at papercrete?

http://www.zianet.com/papercrete/

Kirk

« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 04:22:27 PM by kirk »

12volt dan

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 07:31:46 PM »
Ok impressive :^)

the "r" value to weight ratio makes this interesting. I might have to "play" with this idea, maybe for the tank shelter. how does it stand up to the wet wether?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 07:31:46 PM by 12volt dan »

RAVeman

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 08:02:31 PM »
Wow 12volt dan:

That looks terrific. Most cordwood structures around here ( because of Jack H) in New Brunswick are two foot thick. Looks like what you have, will do the trick. Glad to hear that you are going to actually make the Biodiesel. Have you made the BD-processor yet? I have been researching the straw wall for my co-gen structure. I have heard that it has a sound barrier quality equal too or questionably better than cord wood.

I lost touch with the other BioDiesel fourm, was away while it went. If you could email me at roline@nbnet.nb.ca I would like very much to reopen the channels of communication agian with you. I have secured a VW 1.5 diesel to act as the power supply for my home cogen, and I have a lot of questions for you.

Until later

Have fun and keep up the great work

RAVeman

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 08:02:31 PM by RAVeman »