Author Topic: 1/2 HP conversion.  (Read 1602 times)

Jerry

1/2 HP conversion.
« on: November 23, 2004, 10:13:25 PM »
Hi conversion folks. Did a first test on my GE 1/2 hp motor conversion. Looks very promising.

Motor specs, GE 1/2 hp, 115 volt, single phase, 1140 rpm, 6 pole, 9 amp.

My intended use is to charge my 48 volt battery bank of my home RE system. The battery bank has 22  24 volt helicopter batteries wiered for 48 volt.

Motor mods include a new built from scratch armature made of a 3" diameter 3.5" long piece of steel. Its been center bored and fitted with a 3/4" diameter shaft. The original shaft was 5/8". New correct size bearings replaced the old. The shaft was knurald and press fit into the new armature.

The armature diameter  accepts 6 of the curved old #29 NEO magnets from Wonder Magnet.com.

These magnets are 1.75" long so 2 sets of 6 were epoxyed to the armature. These 2 sets were slightly offset by about 1/8". This in affect is squewing and cogging is very slight. As a matter of fact the shaft can be easly spun with the thumb and fore finger.

Since this PMA will be used at 48 volt there was no need to reasign coil configuration.

This first test was just a ruff draft. The amp metter I used was an automotive type and to course to get the lower # amp readings with any acuracy.

However I did take a reading at 430 rpm I saw around 15 amps at 51.5 volts for 772.5 watts ands at 24 volt test saw at 430 rpm 30 amps at 27.6 volt for 828 watts.

I need to make some improvements on my prim mover. I'm useing a 2.5 HP tred mill motor and a 3000 watt variac to drive this pma. I'm having a problem with the belt pully on the tredmill motor slipping and jaming up against the motor housing.

I'll get more and better #s after I correct the pully and amp metter problems.

This PMA conversion should be able to deliver a continuas 600 watts without over heating and an ocasional 1800 watts for short bursts.

Not bad for 12 $5 magnets. Hope to do some wind test in the S-10 wind test truck in a few days? I'll report the results when done.

I'm taking a few pics for latter release after all test are complete. I'll be trying a few diferent blade sets.

Thats it for now.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 10:13:25 PM by (unknown) »

baggo

Re: 1/2 HP conversion.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 06:01:09 PM »
Hi Jerry,

That seems a pretty good output for the size of motor. Look forward to your results with the different blade sets.

I'm going to be very limited with regard to diameter of blades (6 feet at most) and tower height (5 metres at most) due to the area in which I live so my objective is to extract as much power as I can within these limitations. I'm going to have a go at designing and building a fairly sophisticated control unit to change the coil configurations according to the rpm of the genny to try and match the output to the battery voltage over as wide range of rpm as possible. This shouldn't be to difficult to achieve? Just needs a circuit to measure the rpm of the genny and then switch the coils via relays to star, delta, parallel etc. at the required rpm. Might work, might not. We'll see.

John

« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 06:01:09 PM by baggo »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 07:20:57 PM »
Hi John

It seems most comercial gennys are power rated at 28.8 mph. Using 4 of my plastic blades at 49" tip to tip I was getting 600 watts. This is from the single phase Garbogen.

Its a 2 phase after conversion. This was with 4 of the $5 curved neo magnets and 4 of my $15 plastic ABS blades.

This same unit is producing 63 watts at 5 mph. More info on the current project soon.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 07:20:57 PM by Jerry »

baggo

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 10:43:22 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Just curious as to what the blades you use are actually intended for. I presume that they are commercially produced. They seem to give such good results that I wouldn't mind trying to find out if something similar can be got here in the UK.

Cheers,

John

« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 10:43:22 AM by baggo »

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 02:38:49 PM »
Hi John

I ship to the UK. They are very light. So shipping is not bad.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 02:38:49 PM by Jerry »

baggo

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 05:12:06 PM »
Thanks Jerry,

I will have some spare cash in the new year (taking my pension early!) so I may well have a few sets off you.

John

« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 05:12:06 PM by baggo »