Author Topic: generator dies, windmill saves the day (1500 Watts!)  (Read 886 times)

jacquesm

generator dies, windmill saves the day (1500 Watts!)
« on: December 20, 2004, 09:50:07 PM »
So, mixed day to put it mildly... in the morning my son comes to me to tell me that there is a large puddle of oil under the diesel generator, so I went out to check, and sure enough it had tossed out most of it's oil. The night before it had shut down by itself, we thought it had run dry, but in fact the oil that had sprayed all over the insides caused some electrical fault that triggered a shutdown.

So, we shut down everything not absolutely needed to run the house (fridge, freezer and a small circulator pump for the outdoor woodstove, shut down the office for the day and proceeded to haul it in to the shop.

WOrking by flashlights (the shoplights draw 10A, it's a pretty dark building and we could not risk running the batteries dry) we cleaned out the generator bit by bit using tons of tissue. Meanwhile the wind picked up and started to actually charge the batteries, but we weren't really paying attention to it (and the datalogging computer was shut down). All I was hoping for was to reduce the current draw a bit.

During our lunch break we looked at the meter, which keeps a record of minimum and maximum amperages that it has seen and to my surprise it had gotten stuck at a little over 30A !!!

As zubbly said, the power of Delta ! Not even once did it feather, the generator is loading it so heavily that the machine simply slows down to the point that it does not need to feather.

So, the machine now produces at least 30A at roughly 50 Volts, for a cool 1500 Watts. The low wind performance is shot though, and we need to do something about that. Yes, I want it all :)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 09:50:07 PM by (unknown) »

monte350c

Congrats on the turbine!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 07:52:23 PM »
Congrats - (on the turbine - not the genset!)

That's a fine looking design and it's nice to see you're getting some good numbers out of it.

Here in our lovely province of Ontario the winds will likely stay pretty strong at least until winter's over (June, isn't it?) so perhaps you can put off the low wind optimizing until the weather's a bit better.

You have probably considered the resonant circuit idea for load matching - there's a good description of it in Gary Johnson's book 'Wind Energy systems' which is a free download at http://www.eece.ksu.edu/~gjohnson/

The chapter with the circuit and some formulae to calculate appropriate values is here: http://www.eece.ksu.edu/~gjohnson/wind6.pdf on page 6-17.

If my experiment actually gets up on the pole I'll be trying this.

Let's hope the temps stay on the good side of the minus sign...

Fun!

Ted.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 07:52:23 PM by monte350c »

monte350c

Re: Congrats on the turbine!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 08:16:14 PM »
BTW hello from the exact other end of Lake Huron (Sarnia)!

Ted.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 08:16:14 PM by monte350c »