Author Topic: Dunlite governor  (Read 1504 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Dunlite governor
« on: December 23, 2004, 12:16:20 AM »
Following are some pics of the governing system on an old Dunlite variable pitch generator. This unit is a 2.5:1 gear up to a 1Kw compound wound generator

This shows the whole assembly with nose cone off and blades off. This unit fell from the sky so the blade hubs are bent in this pic. The spring adjusts the blade pitch and therefore output or (furling).

The generator at rear with mounting assembly on left with slip ring covers. I doubt that I will ever refurbish this unit as a variable pitch unit it's heavy, two men and a dog to lift it.

The spring again this time showing the plate at rear that the blade shaft pawls presses against giving the variable pitch.

This shows one of three governing weights, it was one of these that let go causing this unit to bring down the tower. Unfortunatly the mounting clamp is only aluminuim.

Bent blade shaft, the large nut is holding the governing weight.

There is one more pic http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/74/lug.jpg

Other pics can be seen on this site http://www3.telus.net/pearen/dunlite/Dunlite.htm#750%20Watt%20Gear

allan

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 12:16:20 AM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

monte350c

Re: Dunlite governor
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 06:43:52 PM »
Very neat. What's one of these things worth? If you're not going to refurbish it would you be interested in selling it?

Ted.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 06:43:52 PM by monte350c »

MattB

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 07:38:54 PM »
I know of another Dunlite for sale locally... its a ?kw (probably 2kw, but could be 5kw not likely) 110v DC machine. Same problems... sorta fell. Blades not useable (I havn't seen 'em, but presumably trashed if they still exist), blade mounts bent. Asking $500. Has the 110vDC inverter too for another $500. (Probably negotiable).. I can maybe get pictures if interested... heavy stuff (we're talkin' really really heavy... forklift stuff) located near otherpower headquarters twixt Denver and Cheyenne.

It might all be sold... not sure. Been a couple months since I talked to the fella.

tower available too... at least most of it. Top section hit some rocks on the way down...

-Matt

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:38:54 PM by MattB »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 12:50:03 AM »
Ted,

I'm in Australia, as Matt said its very heavy, which is the principul reason I will probally not refurbish it.

The generator is the same unit as my 750watt 4 blade unit. There is details of blade making on the second link I posted.

The 2Kw units have cooling fins on the casing much like larger modern motors.

regards Allan

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 12:50:03 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

jacquesm

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 09:13:48 AM »
Matt I would very much like to buy that machine, can you arrange for it somehow ?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 09:13:48 AM by jacquesm »

MattB

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 10:09:43 AM »
Does that mean we'll get to see you again when you come pick it up  :-)

I'll give him a call this afternoon and see if he still has it. Would you want the inverter too?

-Matt

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 10:09:43 AM by MattB »

monte350c

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 07:02:18 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys! Matt, if Jacques wants that machine I'll step aside. I won't likely be down in that part of the country until late February or early March.

Ted.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 07:02:18 PM by monte350c »