Author Topic: wind shute turbine update  (Read 901 times)

bug bit

wind shute turbine update
« on: February 03, 2005, 12:14:19 AM »
i got most of the machine put together. thought i would try with only one chute on the intake side. it seems to not like wind at all.  had a good wind and was facing it into it. when i blew cigarette smoke into the chute, it came back out?? next attack is to put the other side of the chute on and maybe cut the intake length down a little. i had better air turning it around backwards but still didn't get much spin out of it. must have been some kind of a high pressure effect through the chute going in, and nothing to pull the air out???

seems what i see, and what actually willwork, is going to be 2 different things.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 12:14:19 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: wind shute turbine update
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
I had a simular idea awhile back

here is the story and the discussion

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2003/7/7/92021/31636

« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 05:47:00 PM by wooferhound »

PHinker

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 07:50:59 AM »
How did that all work out, Woofer?  I see a picture of a dual blade gennie but don't see if the shroud idea worked out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 07:50:59 AM by PHinker »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 10:01:39 AM »
 Well . . .

I never tried the idea, as it became obvious to me that getting the genny higher in altitude would work better than trying to amplify the wind just above the ground as I had envisioned. Plus using a shroud at higher altitude would stress the tower/pole so much that it would have to be strengthened to much.

I have a test prop mounted just over the top of a 6 foot solid wood fence right now. My thinking was that the wind would be forced over the top of the fence and through the prop producing more power, however it's not working very good and hardly ever spins as good as being stuck in the ground in any open area.

Here is a story by Electric Ed that has a shroud Idea that would probably work pretty good.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2003/6/17/73839/3388

« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 10:01:39 AM by wooferhound »