Author Topic: First Ebay solar cell panel is finished  (Read 2451 times)

Volvo farmer

First Ebay solar cell panel is finished
« on: February 04, 2005, 10:23:57 PM »
Well, it's done and it works! To celebrate, I just ordered 10 more lbs! I made a jig, very similar to Ifreds and Picmillans (sp?), soldered nine at a time, repeat 4x and slid them face down onto one of my pieces of glass. Then finished wiring the strings together on the glass. The glass shop guys gave me this black urethane stuff for car windshields and thats what I stuck the cells to the glass with. Like the others, I put one blob in the middle of each cell, then lined up my other piece of glass with spacers on top of the first. I pulled the spacers out and now the top piece of glass was sitting directly on the cells and the blobs of urethane flattened out as they stuck.

So far, I copied what others had done, What I did differently was to take the whole mess to my buddies at the glass shop and have them seal it up like they would a double pane window. The result is very nice and neat looking. He told me to silicone where the wires go in but I'm a little worried if I make it too airtight, the hot air in between the glass pieces might break something if it gets under too much pressure.

So anyway, no assembly pics, but here's some of the completed project. I was getting 18.6 volts at about 3:30 and a non-optimum angle to the sun. Short circuit amps were 2.6. I was seeing about 3.5 yesterday at noon but with no top glass on. Playing with shadows, I wonder If I should have put a diode in this thing. Amps drop like a stone with any panel shading whatsoever. Oh well, just keep it in the sun I guess!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 10:23:57 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

LEXX

Re: First Ebay solar cell panel is finished
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 11:18:33 AM »
All right, I can't take it anymore!  I have been trying to find these solar cells on E-bay since you guys first started posting stories about using them for diy panels and I can't find them, could somebody plese post the e-bay address so that i can see the seller's site.

Tanks in advance,

LEXX
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 11:18:33 AM by LEXX »

fishfarm

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 11:45:12 AM by fishfarm »

fishfarm

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 11:52:01 AM »
That first one expires in a few hours. Here's the one for the five pounds:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5953066767

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 11:52:01 AM by fishfarm »

LEXX

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »
Thanks, fish

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 12:19:02 PM by LEXX »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 01:42:55 PM »
very smooth assembly & execution of the glasswork

I guess time to look up el-cheapo glass fab company..

Just void water vapor being drawn in when panel is cooling off - small amounts of hot-air escaping during max solar heating will form vaccum pump effect. Maybe nitrogen flush the panel : )

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 01:42:55 PM by DanG »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 03:45:48 PM »
Believe it or not, the glass guys told me there's a dessicant in that there aluminum. There's tiny holes in the seam that faces the inside of the glass sandwich. So until the dessicant gets used up, I should have a dry panel.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 03:45:48 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 03:48:40 PM »
Just email the guy. He's honest and Ebay gets enough of everyone's money already.

Bryon Kass <cusdn@comcast.net>
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 03:48:40 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

iFred

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 06:25:13 PM »
SO here is the real question, how much did this cost? $$$$

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 06:25:13 PM by iFred »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 04:00:46 AM »
Glass was free. I had it laying around. I used almost half of my 2# package and about 10% of the copper tabs I bought with them. Figure $60 for that with shipping. The glass shop gave me the 'bro" deal cause they only charged me $15 to seal it. So $75 for about 50 watts, ~$1.50 a watt, and I bought the cells at the 1# rate @ $45/lb

Next panels are going to be 100 watters and I'm going to make them with 34X72 sliding glass door panels.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 04:00:46 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

Jeff7

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 01:59:09 PM »
Geez, you were lucky to find a glass place that would seal stuff for you. The places I talked to either outright refused, or gave me all kinds of grief about how there would be no warranty (the one guy must have repeated that about 8 times), and how it wouldn't work, how it would crack, etc etc. I'm looking forward to seeing how well these various projects stand up to weathering - and I'm hoping that what I'm designing will survive the elements.

Don't forget to post back here in a few months and say how the panels are working.:)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 01:59:09 PM by Jeff7 »