Author Topic: Three cylinder version template  (Read 8696 times)

rotornuts

Re: A new tack
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2005, 02:44:57 PM »
I see what your saying about it being reversed. I saw it that way at first as well but when I drew it it didn't work.

But you got me thinking about it again and I came up with what I think may be the best of these slotted ideas.

By moving the longest cord to the center(which is where it should be anyway relative to rotational velocity)it exposes the others to clean air as they round the 3 o'clock position and they also remain exposed in the 12 o'clock position as the inboard longest cord passes the 3. Sort of that is.

The inside looks like a ropatec. That's a good sign. I'm going to stare at it for awhile and see if I can pick it apart.

Thanks for the encouragment.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 02:44:57 PM by rotornuts »

monte350c

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2005, 07:32:00 AM »
Hi Mike,

This is reminding me of commercial ground school...

There are 4 main types of flaps used on airplanes. Plain, split, Fowler, and slotted.

The last 2, Fowler and slotted, the flaps move not only down, but rearward also. This does some interesting things. It effectively increases the camber of the wing. The slots have a positive effect on lift.

The last sketch you did above looks like a multi segment slotted flap (think 747 etc.)

There's been quite a bit of wind tunnel work done on those configurations. Maybe the info will shed a bit of light on the VAWT!

Some old but good info on slotted flaps and their effect on the wing:

http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1951/naca-rm-a51d18/naca-rm-a51d18.pdf

Just turn it 90 degrees and you're flying a VAWT!

Interesting stuff.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 07:32:00 AM by monte350c »

newguy

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2005, 07:08:28 PM »

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 07:08:28 PM by newguy »