Author Topic: Vawt flies into the wind  (Read 4381 times)

rotornuts

Vawt flies into the wind
« on: June 29, 2005, 04:28:12 AM »
One simple modification to the below model and it now flies into the wind. If I use a blowdrier or a 4" duct fan and direct the airflow on the right(anywhere on the right) it still rotates in a clockwise direction.

Any guesses as to what I did?

One hint, it's in the center and has nothing to do with a venturi but requires a certain shape. I can stop the rotor in any position and it will still take to a clockwise rotation when you apply airflow to the side flying into the wind only.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 04:28:12 AM by (unknown) »

XRay

Re: Vawt flies into the wind
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 06:00:55 AM »
A electric kick-start motor? :-)))
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 06:00:55 AM by XRay »

windstuffnow

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 07:53:11 AM »
  Sounds interesting... Let us know!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 07:53:11 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

XRay

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 08:20:28 AM »
Don't tell me you put a savonius inside?

Pleas you make me nuts :-))
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 08:20:28 AM by XRay »

rotornuts

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 10:28:17 AM »
Ok, Next hint. Basicly this gives it away and I'll do a plan view of the shape later but I blocked the center completely but the shape is still important. This will only work for a two blade machine but it renders a three blader unnessecary.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:28:17 AM by rotornuts »

XRay

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 02:41:22 PM »
Mike,

I think I am missing something here, if the venturi shape is not altered (assuming it is already a closed shape), what can be placed in the center, blocking all airflow? Noting?

I haven't had mush time to recap your latest post's so I must have missed something?

Now I dream all night about rotors (I rather dream about women), thanks man. :-)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 02:41:22 PM by XRay »

windstuffnow

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 05:03:24 PM »
  The cliff... its starting to crumble... under my feet... I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to hold on...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 05:03:24 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

rotornuts

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 05:04:48 PM »
Here it is. Again I've for some reason used painfull colors. The center is blocked with an elliptic curve. the deepest portion of the curve is set to the left of the axis. Without the center or the tubercles it will not rotate into the wind.

I won't say if I think this overall represents an improvement or not because I think the significance is the fact that if you concentrate airflow on the right it will still rotate clockwise or "into the wind".

It's fairly obvious to see part of the contribution the center makes but I don't understand all of it. Again if you omitt the tubercles or the center it doesn't fly into the wind anymore so they both contribute.

Any thoughts?

Mike

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 05:04:48 PM by rotornuts »

windstuffnow

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 05:26:45 PM »
  Looks like were back to the savonius with tubercles, like a jet reverse thruster.  The air is diverted to the side of the least resistance.

Interesting to say the least!  You need to build up a small alternator to test the various designs or make up a small prony brake and calculate hp.  The brake is far simpler to make and I personally thing its easier to get a good output reading.  You can use an alternator as long as you have a way to control the load at various rpm.  Lots of fun!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 05:26:45 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

XRay

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 02:26:50 AM »
Oh no He did put a Savonius inside.

We are witnesses of the birth the second generation Savonius, "the humpback Savonius"

Yes I can see now way you closed the center, at a certain rpm air in the center will not flow across the wings anyway, so just close it and make advantage of the Savonius start up torque. Good thinking or.....?

It will take a while before I re-start experimenting VAWT, sorry a am not a big help right now.

Greetings,

Ray

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:26:50 AM by XRay »

rotornuts

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 06:30:07 AM »
It's interesting how it kinda evolved (or devolved) back into a savonius. Like Ed said I think it's time to start actual testing or this speculative evolution could progress forever.

I do believe the significant difference here is the into the wind characteristics between 2 and 4 o'clock but I think there's still lots to be done with drag reduction.

Having fun if nothing else,

Mike

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 06:30:07 AM by rotornuts »

windstuffnow

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 08:30:46 AM »
  It's an interesting design even though it reprsents a spin off of the savonius.  Definately a worthy contender with the addition of the tubercles.

I was thinking the other day of how to create a shape that would generate lift through 3/4 of its circumference so no matter where it was turned would create lift.  (with the exception of the final 1/4).  Unfortunately, my thoughts drew me back to the single wing that I started a few weeks back... but... it also gave me an idea that could work.( or not )...

It occured to me that you could change the shape of the wing in flight by use of a tail and a cloth wing with rollers inside positioned by the tail.  The tricky part would be designing it to maintain a certain tention on the cloth in any position to maintain low drag in any position.

I will be back to finishing the single wing V in a couple weeks, your not going to believe how simple it is to change wing angle in flight!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 08:30:46 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 08:55:33 AM »
Mike;

What's the possibility of getting a scaled printable of this pic? I have a 9" high stack of AOL CDs I'd like to cut out using this design.

I have a nice little Swiss made maxon 12Vdc motor that I've been wanting to put out in the yard with a non-traditional blade design.

Keep sending those pics and notes.

And the colors aren't so bad... used to be the St. Louis Rams colors! <:-))

Also if you'll look into the F1 cars' spolier and air dam sections you should notice a fimilar shape.

Bruce

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 08:55:33 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 11:09:16 AM »
it's  a very interesting shape , if you recall , on your first post, you had added winglets to two round colums. i speculated the next incarnation might be a yin yang shape and you confirmed that it would be a natural progression. if you look at your latest configuration. the negative space( an artistic term used to describe the space surounding the main object) has now evolved into a yin yang symbol. what was once the void between the impelleres is now the impeller!! dam it roto,  we need numbers!! ha, ha,  any way , this weekend i want to pour some concrete  and secure a trailer spinle/axil at about shoulder hight. ive got some 14'dia steel disks to use as mag rotors , and an 8 foot section of tv tower welded to another disk .this is what i'll hang the vanes on .i've been holding off on commiting to a vane shape to see what you might come up with. perhaps i'll just make a three bladed savonas.  ive got 4 more of these waiting  for a vawt breakthrough!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 11:09:16 AM by electrondady1 »

rotornuts

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 11:52:38 AM »
I'm very curious to see it Ed. I thought about it alot before I got on my current bender and it left me stumped for a reasonable solution.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 11:52:38 AM by rotornuts »

rotornuts

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 11:56:23 AM »
If you print the above image I think it will come out almost exactly CD size.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 11:56:23 AM by rotornuts »

rotornuts

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »
That's a very interesting point. I didn't see it like that till now and it gives me some ideas on modifying the shape again. I think I'm going to stick with this format now and just work on drag reduction and sizing the tubercles.

My biggest concern with the above version is what may be happening at higher rpms so as you said it's time to generate some numbers.

I think a three blade savonius would be a great place to start. If folks think that you end up making alot of compromises with a Hawt they should try optimizing a Vawt.

I'm not going to say for sure(because I don't know) but I finally started to think that any gains made at one point in the cycle with the open center where lost at another point in the cycle. The venturi idea yielded a very pulsated power spike then a big drag spike every time the cylinders approched alignment then crossed alignment. This is how I ended up taking a chance on filling the center. After I filled the center in I removed the center pieces again and tried to see if I could get it to rotate into the wind but the drag was too much. I think it's as much a reduction in drag as it is the shape in the center not to say I think the centers shape is inconsiquential.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 12:10:15 PM by rotornuts »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »
Thanks;

It's perfect.

Hold it away and it looks like two Mallard duck heads.<;-))

Bio-mimicry at its best.

Many Thanks;

Bruce

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:03:31 PM by Bruce S »

windstuffnow

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 02:03:58 PM »
  Before I had to shelf the project I built 3 complete systems for it, each progressively reduced the parts count.  Each also failed in some way to produce the movement I wanted or reacted in an obscure manner that was unmanageable.  The 4th was a combination of the 1st and 3rd with a further reduction of parts.  The second system was a conglomeration of cams and rods, Although it worked I simply didn't like it and went back to the first idea and it hit me that I was looking at all wrong.  

I haven't actually built the system as yet so it may have some unseen ( on paper ) problems in real life.  I'm itchin to get back to it!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:03:58 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 02:14:13 PM »
Mike and Bruce,

How well would it work without the tubercles?

And how do those 12V Maxons work for 12V output, and what kind is it?

(having VERY bad luck with steppers, slo-sync, brushless DC... you name it)

G-

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:14:13 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 03:32:56 PM »
G-

Pretty good actually, they come right up to 12Vdc just turning one by hand.

I have to say up front that I did this purely by hand and that since there's quite a few sitting around I thought I could take a few apart and see what's going on.

First thing I notice is that there is of course a stepper box on it and without that these are buggers to try and turn.

With the stepper box on I can safely turn the motor at a constant speed and get a full 12Vdc.

I sent Maxon an "official" request for engineering data.

Their wesbite doesn't have any of these on there and the closest I can tell is that they either have the ability to produce 40 or 50 watts.

They seem like they're going to be high torque though, it does have a real nice 20 tooth gear on it.

These have permanent magnets as I use one to pick up stray paper clips and such, plus made the mistake of wearing my digital watch while messing with one now I have to find a replacement battery for it...

These are very well made and don't think it will take a lot of high speed, but St.Louis isn't in the high wind corridor and due to city regulations I have to keep thing on the small scale anyway. So I thought this VAWT would be a perfect fit down at the CD size.

I have a nice Fluke meter I can use at work to do some current measurements with it and get back to you with some volts and current measurements. Don't have a tach for speed tests just yet.

For me free is free and Amps is Amps.

Bruce

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 03:32:56 PM by Bruce S »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 08:10:22 PM »
Maybe its time for someone to come up with a design for a simple home made windtunnel. Something like the Wright brothers used. If you mount a large fan, say from a cheap box fan, at one end of a long box, with a few vanes to stop the turbulence. The fan speed should be nice and constant. Then I think you would also need a thermometer to measure the ambient air temp, and a barometer to measure the ambient air pressure. With a bit of maths ( dont ask me ) you could work out a variable that allows for changes in temp and pressure. Then mount a small generator in the bottom of the wind tunnel. And mount the windmill under test on that.

Use the generator and a variable load to measure RPM and power.

This should make for a consistant way to measure different blade profiles. You could use the tunnel any day and get the same readings ( very important ) for the same windmill. Make a change in profile and get real figures.

Tempting idea.

Glenn

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 08:10:22 PM by gizmo »

XRay

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 01:42:35 AM »
That's exactly where I was thinking of.

Ray

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 01:42:35 AM by XRay »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 05:19:22 AM »
Thanks.

My tach is several drills with known RPMs. Or at least what the name plate says.

My idea to keep flux inside is to split and slide on a piece of heavy exhaust pipe.

G-

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 05:19:22 AM by ghurd »

bob golding

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 09:07:11 AM »
seem to remember there was a design for a wind tunnel in the  amature scientist column in scientific american. it was  a very small one if i recall but  might have some useful design info. i have the tinkers guild cd set somewhere with it in. will dig if anyone is really interested.

bob golding

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 09:07:11 AM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2005, 09:44:45 AM »
Please do, Their website says it was in the March 1993 issue.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 09:44:45 AM by Bruce S »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2005, 02:01:34 PM »
G-

Small update on the Maxon motor.

one still nothing from their engineering department.

however, did some other testing since it's Friday just before a long weekend and half the staff has disappered anyway (:-)

Using two digital meters one set to 200Vdc and the other set to 10Amps Max.

they are the same ones so I should be okay.

Using your idea of a steady state using a drill; I chucked one in cranked up the drill until the voltmeter read a steady 14 volts DC, then plugged the neg lead into the other meter and this really loaded dwon the motor.

The volts dropped to 12Vdc and the current with the meter set to 10A DC read .16

An Ohm reading shows 14.6

The drill is an older 7.2 Vdc varible speed B&D at it's highest speed chucked driectly to the stepper shaft.

Thoughts on using this type of motor?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 02:01:34 PM by Bruce S »

bob golding

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2005, 03:43:03 PM »
hope this works

About a Small Wind Tunnel, Cloud Chambers and "Primitive" Techniques of Measurements

---------------------

by Albert G. Ingalls

April, 1953

---------------------

IF THE POPULARITY of a scientific avocation can be judged by the number of its followers, there can be no doubt about which one stands at the bottom of the list. Amateur aerodynamics wins without challenge. This is rather surprising, considering how intimately aerodynamics is related to everyday experience and how wide open one phase of the subject is to amateurs. That phase is the slow-speed flow of air. While the professionals give plenty of attention to high-speed air flow, almost nothing is known precisely about the forces generated by slow air currents. Yet no one amateur, so far as this department can learn, is investigating this fascinating subject. Nor is a single low-speed wind tunnel, professional or amateur, in operation anywhere in the U. S. If anyone knows where such work is going on, we would like to hear about it.

One does not need to look far for examples of low-speed aerodynamics. It enters into the physics of space-heating and of air-conditioning and ventilating systems generally. The design of several meteorological instruments involves the micro-ounce forces set up by movable surfaces that comprise their sensing elements. All of these mechanisms have been fashioned largely by cut-and-try methods rather than on scientific principles. Perhaps the professional neglect of this basic science can be explained in terms of dollars and cents: it may be felt that the small results would not be worth the time spent.

But this explanation can scarcely apply to amateurs. Time is the amateur's greatest stock in trade. Many boys (aged 8 to 80 spend endless hours building and flying kites. Still, with few exceptions the kites they fly are aerodynamically no improvement over those flown 3,000 years ago. Even the Navy continues to use the classical and grossly inefficient box kite to haul aloft the radio antennas of its emergency life rafts. It is true that some of these are fancy affairs with aluminum tubing and fabric substituted for sticks and paper. But aerodynamically the Navy's 1953 box kites are a thousand years old. Even more surprising is the lack of active interest in low-speed aerodynamics by the multimillion-dollar model-airplane industry. A significant percentage of its estimated 100,000 enthusiasts are gifted laymen, professional pilots and others who hold degrees in science and engineering. Each year these energetic hobbyists build and fly tens of thousands of model aircraft. Yet the miniature wings they construct are inappropriately patterned on large-scale airfoils designed for speeds above 50 miles per hour or on models put together by cut-and-try methods.

Partial cutaway of a low-speed wind tunnel

Some of the curious effects caused by the motion of air can be demonstrated with simple household objects. Suspend two apples by strings, like a pair of pendulums, and hold them close together. When you blow between them they will move toward each other, instead of flying apart as might be expected. Take a piece of paper an inch or so square, stick a pin through it and drop it on the end of a spool with the pin in the spool opening. You will find it difficult to dislodge the paper by blowing through the other end of the spool. Set an electric fan on the floor and let its air stream blow toward the ceiling. If you drop an inflated rubber balloon into the air stream, it will not be blown away but will stay in the air stream and hover over the fan, even when the fan is tilted at a considerable angle.

All these effects are accounted for by a common property of moving air-one which explains why airplanes fly and how it is possible for a good baseball pitcher to throw a slight curve. Less pressure is exerted on a surface by air in motion than by air at rest. Airplane wings are shaped so that air flows faster over the upper surface than the lower one; this reduces the pressure above the wing and produces a lifting force. The effect was first described in precise terms by Daniel Bernoulli, of the celebrated family of Swiss mathematicians, in 1737.

Another interesting property of air is its stickiness. It clings to objects, "wets" them and thus tends to retard their motion through it. In general these drag forces, as well as those of lift, increase with increasing velocity. At speeds from about 50 to 400 miles per hour, the thin film of air that clings to the surface influences the forces in significant ways. At higher speeds the forces change: at the speed of sound, for example, moving objects literally rip the air apart, compressing that in front and creating a vacuum in the wake. The professionals today are largely occupied by the effects that lie beyond the so-called sonic barrier.

But no one appears to be in the least concerned with the equally interesting effects in what may be called the region of the gentle breeze. Only once, at least during recent years, has anyone ventured into that region. Just before the beginning of World War II a group of amateurs in Boston, headed by Captain W. C. Brown of the Army Air Force, decided to explore the behavior of aerodynamic forces set up by velocities under 10 feet per second. Several members of the group were majoring in aerodynamics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The group spent many months building a precision wind tunnel for low-speed investigations. Unfortunately the tunnel was in operation for only a brief period before the war started, and the group completed only two studies. They plotted the characteristics of a family of airfoils worked out mathematically for indoor airplane models, and investigated the effect of streamlining the structural elements associated with these profiles. After Pearl Harbor most of the group went into military aviation, and that ended the project. But the few prized scraps of information that emerged from it continue after more than a decade to be published all over the world.

Captain Brown, who is now with the U. S. Office of Education, writes of the historic Boston tunnel as follows:

"One of the failures of the past 35 years of aviation has been the inability of man to conquer the low-speed field. The slow autogiro and helicopter represent two of the few successful innovations in conventional design since aviation became a fact. Who can predict what other discoveries in this field may revolutionize present design?

"Before the war several attempts were made with various types of equipment to gather data in the low-speed aeronautical field. One notable project was a -tunnel of about three feet diameter with the air stream driven by an ordinary fan. The famous B-7 airfoil came out of this work. Another project, more ambitious, was a tunnel in the Midwest which produced some interesting tests, although numerous corrections had to be made. But the Boston instrument continues to hold the record as the largest and most accurate low-speed wind tunnel ever constructed, and it could serve as a model for further work in this field today.

"John P. Glass, in those years a student at M.I.T., started it all, and to him goes much credit for the tunnel's design. Glass's design was executed by members of the Jordan Marsh Aviation League. William H. Phillips, also a former M.I.T. student, now with the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics at Langley Field, Va., started designing the balances about a year after work was begun on the tunnel proper.

"The Boston tunnel was 18 feet long with a standard diameter of five feet at all points. The air was forced through the tunnel, instead of being sucked as in most high-speed tunnels. (Roger Hayward's drawing at the left shows the general arrangement.) This method was dictated largely by economic considerations. A tunnel of the conventional sucking type would have required an entrance cone about 18 feet in diameter and a length of 60 feet to get a smooth air flow. Even so, air flow at the low speeds contemplated by the designers would doubtless have been disturbed by eddies originating outside the tunnel By compressing the air at the propeller end of the instrument and permitting it to seep through blanketing layers of fabric into the test chamber, the tunnel achieved a smooth air flow with a structure of reasonable size. The pressure drop through the blanket, about three pounds per square foot, overcame any irregular pressures arising from turbulence created by the propeller and kept out of the test chamber eddies caused by persons moving about in the room.

"The tunnel was driven by a propeller five feet in diameter with six overlapping blades connected through a belt to a direct-current motor of 440 revolutions per minute and three horsepower. The velocity of the air stream could be varied between 2 and 12 feet per second by means of a shutter placed between the propeller and the blanket. This system of control offered a distinct advantage over regulating the speed of the motor, because it tended to offset slight velocity changes caused by variations in power line voltage, belt slippage and related factors.

"Air speed through the tunnel was measured by two gauges: a calibrated pendulum vane and an anemometer of the Richard type. Pressure in the tunnel during the calibration period was measured by a manometer arrangement, built by Phillips, which utilized a pair of mill; bottles. It was extremely accurate but was abandoned after it was found too sensitive to temperature changes for prolonged use.

"The test models were suspended from an airfoil balance. The first balances, intended for use with outdoor models, could weigh a force up to four ounces and were sensitive to three hundredths of an ounce. They were of the automatic spring type. It was found that a different type would be required for work with indoor models, because the forces to be measured were so infinitesimal. This problem was by far the most difficult encountered during the tunnel's design and construction. A successful design was developed after much work by Phillips [see drawing above]. The new balance, of the automatic torsion type, was sensitive to one thousandth of an ounce and had a capacity of one tenth of an ounce. It achieved its extreme sensitivity by using an electromechanical amplifier, incorporating the feedback principle, whose main features were derived from an instrument used at M.I.T. for measuring the surface tension of liquids. Any force tending to disturb the equilibrium of the balance's master beam was, in effect, counteracted by an equal force derived from a reversible electric motor actuated by a set of contacts carried by a secondary beam.

"The Boston tunnel employed five of these balances. One measured the vertical force, or lift, acting on the airfoil under test, and two others measured the drag forces. The two remaining balances measured pitching, rolling and yawing."

The test objects investigated by the Boston group consisted of a series of rectangular airfoils 30 inches long by five inches wide. They were not true wing sections, like those of an aircraft but merely thin sheets, bowed like a wind-filled sail. The curve was stiffened by a set of lateral ribs. Starting with the arc of a circle as the curve of the basic airfoil, the experimenters derived mathematically a family of related curves in which the peak of the curve was progressively shifted aft from the leading edge. The curves are described by the N.A.C.A. system, in which the diameter of the airfoil, or "chord," is taken as unity and the remaining dimensions are expressed as a percentage of this length. Five numerals define the curve: the first digit gives the highest point reached above the chord, the second and third give the distance of this maximum height from the leading edge, and the last two specify thickness.

Results of experiment were plotted

The experimenters found that the most successful airfoil aerodynamically was the one in which the peak of the curve (8 per cent) was located 40 per cent aft of the leading edge [see top of chart at the right] . Because this airfoil has no thickness (being formed of a single sheet of material), it is designated 84000. (For convenience the last two zeroes are frequently omitted.) A two-surface airfoil of the same shape with a thickness of 15 per cent is designated 84015.

The basic objective of these investigations is to measure two characteristics of a given airfoil: how variations in the speed of the air stream and the angle at which the airfoil meets the stream affect its lift and drag. The airfoil, or if desired a complete model of the airplane, is suspended in the test section of the tunnel from a T-shaped structure which in turn is coupled with the balances. After a series of readings at a predetermined range of air-stream velocities, the tunnel is shut down and the angle of attack is increased. A second set of forces is then recorded. The procedure is repeated through any range of attack angles desired.

One of the five balances for the wind tunnel

The forces so observed are recorded in thousandths of an ounce. The observations are transformed by simple equations into coefficients of lift and of drag usually designated Cl and Cd) and plotted as a set of curves, one showing the lift coefficients, another the drag coefficients and the third the "L/D" ratio of the two through a range of angles of attack. The main chart at the upper left shows a set of these curves derived for the 84000 airfoil.

The Boston tunnel of course can investigate the aerodynamic behavior of test objects of any shape. The instrument also opens boundless opportunities for the exploration of jet effects at low speed and of the drag effects of various surface textures.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 03:43:03 PM by bob golding »

bob golding

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2005, 03:56:46 PM »
have uploaded the  images to go with the wind tunnel article to my photos  section as i cant seem to get them to upload any other way.

bob

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 03:56:46 PM by bob golding »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2005, 05:23:36 PM »
Folks;

Here are those drawings:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 05:23:36 PM by TomW »

bob golding

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2005, 03:09:34 AM »
thx tom
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 03:09:34 AM by bob golding »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2005, 08:16:59 AM »
Sounds better than most of what I have for this type of thing.

The drill sounds like it doesn't have too much speed.

G-
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:16:59 AM by ghurd »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2005, 08:22:43 AM »
Does anyone notice a resemblence to the Sandia Savinous?

Not the theory, but the general shape.

G-
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:22:43 AM by ghurd »