Author Topic: hybrid hype.  (Read 4031 times)

georgeodjungle

hybrid hype.
« on: July 02, 2005, 06:26:53 PM »
we rented a Prius.

thought it might be fun.it cost alil more,and kind of a tree hugger good thing to do.

normly we rent gas burners.

i have to rent cars alot for work.

we have a honda civic gets 32 to 34 mpg.

the prius 31.driving normal.

from here at 5000 ft to the lake is 7 miles at over 7000'.

big grade.

the honda at the top does 45 mph

the hybrid 26 mph.

it allso didn't seem to handle good at all!!.EEEEErrrrrrtttttt.

maybe it had full size rubber that might help.but the milage will go down even more.

it has an on board display that would be a good trainer how to drive like grandma.

most of the time i drive like 5 miles over that speed thing..

can't wait to rent others.it could have been a lemon BUT.

so i've been talking to the building inspector "trying to get off the grid here" he said that cailfornia had a bunch of-em and got ridof them for the same reason.mostly a safty thing.i think inspectors are paranoid any ways.

so come come to find out that TREES POLUTE, so! we were doning the tree hugger thing.just not in the good way we thought.

i should have profusion or google first but that's what happend to us.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 06:26:53 PM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

Re: hybrid hype.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 12:53:59 PM »
  I did a study between a hybrid and a basic chevy ( the Aveo )some time ago and realized the incentive to drive one just isn't there.  

Assuming you keep and drive the car for a 50,000 mile period here was the cost difference between them...

If you paid 21,000 for the hybrid the cost of ownership is .42 per mile right off the top and the fuel cost is .02 per mile based on a future $3.00 per gallon leading to a total of .44 per mile.

If you purchased the Aveo at 8,900 the cost of owner ship is .18 per mile plus .03 in fuel cost or a total of .21 per mile.  

You did save 428 gallons of fuel by purchasing the hybrid but overall you pay double to drive it.

This of course doesn't include the cost of insurance, finance charges ( which at the higher cost raises the outcome considerably because of the initial investment ), or general maintenance on the cars.

So the incentive to "go green" as a cost effective alternative, simply isn't there... the incentive is to feed the pockets of the oil companies

« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 12:53:59 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »
A buddy of mine is a Honda mechanic. He had a late-80's Honda CRX HF. He regularly got over 50 mpg. Check this out

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/5263.shtml

So sixteen years have passed and now we need batteries and hybrid technology to get just about exactly the same gas milage.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2005_Toyota_Prius.shtml

IF you're getting real-world 31MPG in a Prius, that really sucks because my buddy reported always 40+ MPG no matter how he drove it and he said a long freeway drive with a tailwind would get him 60MPG.

I guarantee a little 1.5 cyl Honda motor with tall gearing is gonna cost less per mile than any Hybrid in maintainance as well.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 04:44:11 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

georgeodjungle

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 08:12:42 PM »
yep, and my honda is 4 wheel drive to boot.

well i just got back from profusion ing "epa testing hybrid cars" looks like it is a big scam.

your right 16 years for a step backwords.

man o man there's a lot of people upset .

seems epa tested them at like 46 mph and called it hiway speed.

pizza cutters for tires is a realy big issue,and the extra weight of the batteries.

but not the batteries in good crash?

i allso got side tracked on how much energy it takes to make a car.wow wee that's a nother can of worms.

i all so played with hydogen thats not the answer, at least for me.

so keep your old ride and save the planet!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:12:42 PM by georgeodjungle »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 08:16:01 PM »
My old '89 Camry still gets over 40MPG highway, with the factory timing belt and 155,000 miles. Runs great.

It is going to the crusher soon because the car is falling off the motor.

The crusher pays $60. The junk yard pays $40. Go figure.

My friends Civic hybred gets 40 something. The dealer told him at $2 per gallon it would break even cost wise compared to the regular model at 140,000 miles. He drives about 35,000 miles per year, so it should be good for him. It is a nice car. Driving it seems no different than a gas only car.

Pay back should be sooner now that gas is up again, if the numbers were right.

G-

« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:16:01 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

number42

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »
I own a hybrid. It was built by VW in 1995. They only sold 300 in the UK because, according to the stockholders report, "it doesn't deliver the driving experience customers want." That is to say it pretty much requires that the driver adopt new driving habits. The payback is over 60 mpg and one of the lowest emitting cars even today. It is capable of cruising at over 90 mph on the Motorway. Mine has 170,000 miles and is still jealously coveted by my wife. It is a low tech approach to hybrid and requires no exotic materials or overly complex electronics. I can attest that it does work reliably.

Two things concern me. First, with the exception of the Honda Insight, hybrid technology is simply being used to give better performance out of a slightly smaller powerplant with little or no improvement in efficiency. Second, I'm concerned that the decision to drive a vehicle is often made on the simple basis of cost rather than if it is the moral and ethical thing to do.

Generating electricity for my cabin with solar and wind is costing about twice per kw-hour what it costs off the grid. Of course, because I do not have a bottomless supply of energy we are very frugal with how we use it. Out total spend on electricity is lower, but our unit price is much higher.

The decision to lead a sustainable lifestyle should not be guided by what is cheapest, but by what carries the fewest long term consequences.

Just a thought from out here at the edge of the universe...

« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 12:06:10 PM by number42 »

whatsnext

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 12:09:50 PM »
Ed, We feed the pockets of the oil conpanies because they supply the market with a good product and a fair price. It may not seem that way now, with $2.25 gas, but it clearly still is. The market is pretty smart I doubt we'll ever have to drive cars driven by sails.

John......
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 12:09:50 PM by whatsnext »

georgeodjungle

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 01:27:25 PM »
point taken.

you get 60mpg not @ 90 mph.90 kpm i might bite.

must be all down hill.

how dose it do going up hill? we got BIG hills around here.

we could install a "drive like granda" computer thingy on existing rides or a vacuum gauge,ya-know

to train us.make it mandatory.

and save way more fuel.with out hav-en to make another car that takes like 250 bazzillon btus to make.

moral or ethical?

ya mean cool.

low riders, harleys, monster trucks and now it seems hybrids are cool but not practical,

nor safe or dependable.

sorry to hear about your cabin.

i think there's people here that can help-ya.

my house in pa has paid for it self like 4 times by now with juice to spare.

yep, when first started we had to be frugal to.realy real frugal.

i still have "compulsive meter reading disorder".

now i guess i gots to get it "CMRD" in the car too.wile blocking traffic. ya! that will help even more, but at what cost.you could get a ticket for driving to slow ya know.

there's the money thing again.

it is all about the money.what else is there?

i'd give jack benny a run for his money.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 01:27:25 PM by georgeodjungle »

windstuffnow

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 02:23:27 PM »
  Well, here's the thing that bothers me most... I used to work in Experimental back in the 70's for a subsidary of GM.  We played with alot of ideas, designed and built a good portion of them.  One project was to modify a VW diesel for use as taxi's in big cities.  The guy doing the engines at the time had some very interesting ideas.  We stripped it, extended it and modified the engine put it all back together and the worst fuel economy it achieved was 60 mpg with 2 people in the back and the driver.  The best it achieved was 80mpg on the hiway driver only.  At the time I was driving a modified 2 carb MG getting 50 mpg on gas.  We looked into the hybrid options back then but didn't get funding for any of the ideas so nothing became of it.  The VW was scrapped, yep, new and beautiful sent to the crusher.  

They make it sound like its some new miraculus technology and charging extra based on this misleading information.  

Sorry, I know they can increase fuel efficiency of the engines to increase fuel economy beyond what the hybrids are doing and the hybrids should be able to double that.  I'm just not buying the hype...

« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 02:23:27 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

number42

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 03:52:19 PM »
Winding people up as a hobby eh?

You're absolutely correct. The VW gets 60 mpg in ordinary driving, a mix of city and highway. At 70mph steady it gets 68 mpg.

I've never heard of a "kpm". Maybe you meant miles per kilometer. Naw, that couldn't be it since Britain doesn't use kilometers.

It does hills fine. In fact, I think it could handle the "hills" in my home in upstate New York and probably even those in Virginia.  The Great Divide might be a bit of a grunt though, I'll admit.

I didn't suggest that the computer required one to drive like a "granda". It's just a computer Jim. I think you might have assumed this. Curious.

It isn't all about money. It's about today. If you take care of today, tomorrow will turn out fine.

You might have mentioned the difference between a US gallon and an Imperial gallon.

That would have been clever.

Cheers...

« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 03:52:19 PM by number42 »

georgeodjungle

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 11:11:19 PM »
no winding,just unpleased like the rest.and that's what happened.

and i thought i should sound off.that's what this site is about.

ya i meant mpk.nop,thats not right eather,kpg that's it.

imperial and us still wouldn'd do it.30 to 60.

i'm glad your ride works for you.

i'll rent and talk to others.

so far it's 3 do and 12 don't like.i haven't talked to the state so far it is just hear say.

and profusion.

so many people coundn't have all got lemmons,got to be some thing worng.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 11:11:19 PM by georgeodjungle »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 11:45:09 PM »
Had a '78 (?) VW Rabbit diesel a long time ago.

Got 70MPG highway at 70MPH with 70,000 miles on it, with a 1 bad batch of truck fuel included, on a very long road trip.  No wonder I remember, 70/70/70.

It would have done much better without the truck diesel in the mix.  Much of the trip was in hilly New England.

It did not like long steep hills, and couldn't win a drag race, but it worked just fine.

Often wonder why they don't take that 30 year old motor and add the Honda / Toyota / Whatever hybred stuff to it.  Seems like a perfect match.  Even if the diesel was 20% smaller, the batteries are there to cover for it.

G-

« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 11:45:09 PM by ghurd »

number42

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 03:25:50 AM »
Ditto.

This Golf Ecomatic was built using off-the-shelf technology around a 64 hp, bio-diesel certified engine. It sounds pretty wimpish but it has more guts than the Golf with a 1.3 petrol engine. Top speed is 100 mph and 0-60 is an exhilarating 17 seconds. It has a very large starting battery (1,000 cranking camps) plus a 9 a-hour standby battery for the consumer electrics. Power steering, heating circulation pump, etc. is all electric. It's got a 5-speed manual gearbox but the clutch is controlled electronically by a diaphram and a learning computer so no pedal. It learns how you drive the car and adjusts the clutch control and engine shut down according to your personal style. The system completely disengages the engine and drivetrain when the engine shuts down. It coasts like a Red Flyer on ice. My wife says it's always a bit freakish when I hand it back to her after a day of driving it myself because the computer has learned my bad habits! VW chose the diesel because it is quick to start and because bio-diesel is widely available in Europe (a bit harder to find in the UK and the HM Customs & Excise doesn't really like us making it ouselves). It's one of the few engines certified to run on 100% bio-diesel. Yes, again, 100% bio-diesel costs a bit more than standard diesel but doesn't contribute much to net CO2 emissions.

In the book I just finished writing I mentioned the new cars being touted with their 300 hp engines. Sometimes the solution is so plain and simple that we don't believe it and, hence, don't adopt it. If all of us were tomorrow driving cars like your 78 Rabbit we would see more than a 50% reduction in fuel consumption--which would put it back to pre-1960 levels--as well as a similar reduction in emission of greenhouse gases (which is mathmatically dependent on the mass of fuel consumed and not any emission controls that might be in effect).

I realise that in the US there are objections to diesel as a "dirty" fuel. Manufacturers are not selling the incredibly well performing and efficient diesels in the US because they cannot meet the emission requirements. This is not the fault of the engines but the fuel. Currently, in the US, diesel fuel is allowed up to 250 ppm of sulfur content. This year, throughout Europe, the limit was reduced once again to effectively zero ppm sulfur (0.47 ppm I believe). The fuel is so clean that catalytic converters are used without problems. Both of my Golfs are so equipped.

This link takes you to a talk before the Committee of Energy and Commerce in 2002 about the future of clean diesel technology and how the US is being cheated out of cars that routinely get 78 mpg and perform as well as their petrol counterparts. I'm not making it up about the overall fuel efficiency of Euro cars.

http://www.house.gov/commerce_democrats/press/107rm5.shtml

VW has reintroduced this technology in Euro versions of the Lupo and I understand the mileage figures are near 100 mpg. Citroen has also introduced this in several of its models. The focus is on reducing emissions and consumption in congested areas so typically, like mine, the engine shuts down if more than a second passes without it being needed and it starts up again when needed. It is considered a first level hybrid (or zero-momentum drive) in that no electric motor is used for propulsion and it doesn't recover energy through braking. Instead it relies on a large starter and battery to simultaneously start the engine and the car at the same time. It's simple technology and once you get used to the weird feeling of the engine going silent at 70 mph or when you come up to a roundabout it's okay to drive.

I don't necessarily think hybrid technology is bad, but the way I see it suddenly being marketing in the US aboard Ford Explorers and Lexus luxury cars suggests that the technology--which has great potential-- isn't actually being used to solve a problem, but to sell more cars as a marketing gimmick.

Cheers...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 03:25:50 AM by number42 »

georgeodjungle

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 12:43:06 PM »
yes.yes ,yes.

i think it is a big marketing gimmick.

and diesel motors last a long long long time.unless you lower sulfer or run bio then saddly it doesn't last as long.

the hybrid has like 30 hp.that's a good key.lower the hp.and save.then again my honda with 4wd has like 90hp.

but we must go faster for some reason.

and i don't think you could buy a car without air conditioning.that's another thing.

there's all so bad juju in it all!

and with "zero momentum" not that bad but, it eats brakes.and tranny. lot of new cars kind of do the coasting thing.cost more to maintain.then ya have to make new parts ie.more btus on the big picture.

like when catalytic converts go bad thay pollute more than the car ever would with out it.a bunch more.

how about better milage on the space crafts, one launch is like 300 1955 cars going full bore for a year.

look there's good and bad in it all.

it's all a gimmick.MONEY.like the green house thing.we solar cook all the time.

just about a the directions on how to make them and cook with them says to wrap-em up or insulation to make a "green house effect" but at night, it works just the other way!!!

as a darn refrigartor.it will even freez things.i'm not saing it's not possable or dosn't exsist.like all the other things we've been talking about, you do not get some thing for nothing.

i know i need to be reprogramed to get better milage.

i think i thought the hybrid was the answer like some magic pill..

we humans have a self destruct thing inside of us.

there i go again!!

look i'm not to pick a fight.it would do no good any ways.were stuck in our ways.

just trying to see the hole picture.

i'll rent more and you'll hear about my independent studies.

that's it!!! i want a car to run cheeply over it's long life. and the initial cost to be the same.

isn't this a great fourm?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 12:43:06 PM by georgeodjungle »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 10:21:38 PM »
But wouldn't it be a good idea to reduce the engine size by, say, 25%, and add the electric propulsion and regenerative braking?

I can't believe a car needs 300HP to motor down the road,

because my old Rabbit had about 60HP, and Canada's rabit was like 5HP less.

Also, not so sure how great diesel really is.

The 60HP Rabbit diesel got 70MPG highway,

The '89 Toyota Camry gets 44MPG highway,

But the Camry has over double the HP.

So, what if the Camry had a 60HP gas engine?

Would it get 88MPG?

Diesels last longer, but the Camry is falling off the good motor now!

A longer lasting motor would not help this one!

And nobody wants the good motor, because all the other cars are in the same condition, or at least not worth changing motors.

It just seems they add the electric to something standard in the US right now,

when they should be designing more around the electric aspects.

G-

« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 10:21:38 PM by ghurd »

cdg378

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 09:41:00 AM »
I owned 2 rabbit oil burners and never got 70 mpg on the highway, i drove the heck out them to my cabin in northern michigan and to tampa st pete several times per year when the speed limit was 55. But they were the "LS" type with air and all the options...maybe 50 mpg.

Put 300,000 + miles on 1 and about 250 on the other without any servicing besides oil changes, never even put a clutch in either one and they both ran good when I got rid of them.

I agree that the technology has been there for years but no one wants to go slow anymore, and with the speed limit now at 70 mph and the flow driving 75 to 85 these cars won't cut it on the highway, they would need to lower the speed limit again.

For the average person that doesn't comprehend how to drive a low powered car, these things can be dangerous with people pulling out into fast moving traffic.

I also had a Mercedes 190D, slow has hell but a nice car, I would never loan that car to anyone because it was so slow they would probably get killed in it.

Rumor has it that people were bringing them back to the dealer several days after buying and wanting their money back...a car needs some get up and go and that's why the manufacturers like VW are not bringing those power plants back from the dead, they learned their lessons with that already.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 09:41:00 AM by cdg378 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 10:12:14 AM »
Here's my 1 ½ cents worth.

Even though we have the technology to build cars like they used to. Those that use diesel instead of gas because the engine lasts so much longer and the stage one hybrids, not enough people aren't asking for them.

The manufacturers build what the mass is buying.

I for one wouldn't own one of the new SUVs. To me they look ugly, and aren't worth the cost, never mind the fuel mileage.

If people where to go back to buying the VWs, Camry's and such , the SUVs would go away. Look at the trend/reason why Toyota, Nissan, and like manufacturer's where able to take over the market back during the original gas shortage, they built what people where demanding; smaller lighter and better gas mileage.

Nowadays it is back to the same thing old thing, people think they have to have that big, fat tank of a car because everyone else has one... on and on and on.

Let everyone go back to demanding cars that get the higher mileage and the manufacturers will go back to building  'em.

Supply follows demand.

This is one of the main reasons that they don't already have more diesel cars being hyped, how many people know that you can order the cute new VW bug with a diesel?, is that they also  don't want people to know that is they use the bio-diesel in these vehicles there is almost no sulfur in the fuel and that there is already the ability the lower the sulfur rate in the US's diesel

I can remember when Carter Carburetors built quad carbs with Rudy coated needle valves and the engines would get close to 30 mpg and these were the big all metal land barges of the 70s. Just think what they should be able to do with today's knowledge.

The technology is already there, there just isn't enough people asking.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 10:12:14 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

windstuffnow

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 10:44:29 AM »
  We don't have diesels available because the government doesn't allow them.  We get a certain percentage of diesel options and most are in the big "SUV" type trucks or in large trucks delivering our goods.  They are controlled, from what I've heard, by their pollutants and at this point they haven't cleaned them up well enough to "allow" them into the us.  Of course it couldn't possibly be because their much more efficient than gas engines.... That would take from the pockets of the rich oil countries...

If the auto makers wanted you to drive a diesel they would simply put out a mass marketing stragity that would make you feel like you had to own one.  As with everything the ad's dictate what the public will buy.  Look at some of the junk out there that people buy, look through a catalog its all hype and people suck it up like candy.  A good example of a stupid idea is the "brush ups", absolutely rediculous... but in the adds if your teeth aren't unnaturally white then your ugly, if you don't have hair your ugly and on and on.  Well the auto makers do the same thing... a choice? not likely... its what they want to sell you not what you necessarily want.  The advertizers bombard you every minute of every day from every angle possible using jingles, sex, insecurities (even to the point of making you feel insecure about yourself) unless you have or use their products.  

If you want something you either settle for what they give you ( availability ) or build it yourself!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 10:44:29 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 10:58:16 AM »
That slow thing is pretty much my whole point.

That is when the battery kicks in, for getting up to speed.

Recharges while crusing.

You can't go 75mph here for an hour without a ticket. Believe me!

My Rabbit was bare bones, no power windows, power steering, air, or anything.

It too rusted to an early demise. Road salt. Kid that bought it had 200,000 last I knew and still going.

And to be fair, that 70mpg trip was for like 1600 miles (?) highway, 100 miles city.

But with the truck fuel, it would barely go up a hill in 3rd, that normally would be no problem in 5th, so I bet that really effected the total in a bad way.

Even thought about adding a little gas to help, but didn't know how that would work out and still don't.

There is a waiting list here for a new diesel Beetle.

G-

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 10:58:16 AM by ghurd »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 11:03:48 AM »
Tell me about it!

The wife just finished school and got a good job.

First thing she wanted was a 4-Runner.

She wanted it really, really  bad.

It's black with fancy rims...

G-

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 11:03:48 AM by ghurd »

bparks

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005, 12:32:30 PM »
Just a couple thoughts on hybrid mpg ratings & driving habits.

The issue with hybrids not getting the MPG that their stickers say they should seems to mostly be a problem with the EPA testing methods which measure exhaust to determine the fuel used per mile

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,63413,00.html

if I understand the article correctly, hybrids run so clean that it fools the EPA tests into giving inflated numbers.  Apparently the auto makers would prefer to quote true numbers but cannot?

I also have to fess up to being an SUV owner.  My 97 4runner 4wd is a great vehicle, with very shiny wheels :-).  To defend my choice, I picked the 4cyl 5spd setup. It gets 22-23 on the highway.  I do use it for hauling, towing, off-road etc.  The kicker for me though is that my wife & I chose a house about 3 miles from where we work, and we drive together everyday.  This means we can easily go 3 weeks or more between tanks of gas.  I have a suspicion that we use a LOT less gas than many of the SUV bashers out there (not accusing anyone here :-)

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that everyone talks about mpg, but in many ways driving half as many miles is a lot better than getting 2x the mpg.  Especially if you keep the vehicle twice as long.  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 12:32:30 PM by bparks »

rotornuts

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 01:37:15 PM »
Hurray Ed!!!!! You nailed it there, especially fine example with the brushups. If the advertisers can con folks into buying dried out wetones to rub on their teeth in the middle of the day for no good reason than they are in controll, not demand. I don't recall anyone asking for brush ups.

Mike

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 01:37:15 PM by rotornuts »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »
So I am not the only one who thought those brush-ups where stupid.

I feel better about my self already.:-))

I prefer to go the route of build it my self, make me feel more like I'm doing something rather than sitting on the sidelines waiting for the "magic pill".

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 01:41:04 PM by Bruce S »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005, 01:44:50 PM »
G

If it's not new watch out for excessive pressure in the water/coolant area. These have a bad reputation for having cheap compression rings.

My oldest nephew has already worked on 4 that have had the same symptoms and requried the same repair.

Seems their using "coated" rings. The "coating" wears off and blow by.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 01:44:50 PM by Bruce S »

rotornuts

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »
Remember Aldous Huxley and "Soma". It's a brave new world after all!

Just Take your pill and you'll feel better!

Mike

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 04:15:54 PM by rotornuts »

georgeodjungle

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005, 05:18:33 PM »
i thought i'd take a brake from loading up my land yaught "rv" that gets 5mpg.

and check in. car pooling is good, so with 7 of us going it's like 45mpg.

i like that, i like that a lot.it will make me fill better when i fule up.

:

i made a hybrid solar oven just for this solar cook off thing this weekend, testing it right now. making 10# of pulled pork.right now the propane is off.and could use charcaol if needed.

i bet i could lunar cook with it at 350f+.

do you think the judges will accept the hybrid oven in the cook off?

hopefuly better that that dumb car.

:

i love my SUVs (vans)to but i think it's turned in to a nother cool thing.

if thay were still called VANs it wouldn't be as cool.

and now thay say there dangerous.

the biggerest car wins in an accident.

the best thing i did so far is:

i put my old corn binders carb secondarys to a manuel set up.just in case i need the hp.

and now with an electric fan.

headers didn't help.

i went from 6 mpg to allmost so far 14.

some reason we need 300hp.

it's nice to be going the speed limit at the top of the hill.

i'll get there first! and pay for it to.

tork will get you up the hill but horse will hold the hill. the high performance industry makes milti bazzillion $$$ a year.

i get stuff from them to.

we just can't help it.

thank you all for your input good and bad.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 05:18:33 PM by georgeodjungle »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2005, 08:49:50 PM »
George,

"put my old corn binders carb"

Thanks for the smile.  When I was a kid in the 60's we had an International Travelall which my Dad always called the corn-binder.  I haven't heard a vehicle called that for thirty years.

RP

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 08:49:50 PM by RP »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 08:53:20 AM »
Thanks Bruce,

But what the heck is a compression ring related to coolant?

A hose clamp on the radiator hoses?

Please tell me you don't mean the piston rings!

Also, this is a '99.

Thats as far as she could pry my wallet open.

Maybe it has good ones, whatever they are?

G-

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 08:53:20 AM by ghurd »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 11:13:57 AM »
Okay I won't  tell you but.....

It's a fairly easy test and can be done at home or at a shop.

The compression rings well, keeps the compression in the cylinders if they are worn out or allowing blow-by, then the compression is leaking so to speek, into the crankcase or into those little coolant holes that are ever so close.The coolant area can't withstand that kind of pressure and it causes excessive pressure. The beter though still a problem could be wornout gaskets.

Go purchase the least expensive compression tester you can find, remove ALL of the sparkplugs but leave the wires attached otherwise you could burn out the electronics and have someone crank the engine while holding the compression tester in place. This will give you a read out that should be readable on the dial as to whether it is good, great, too high etc.

The best would be to have a samll shop do the testing as they have the tools to keep the sparkplugs from shcoking the ...... out of someone.

50,000+ volts!!! no current (which is good) but the bump on the back of the head hurts for days

ADMIN: Sorry for long digression from the topic, I promise to try and put thse into my diary area from now on.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:13:57 AM by Bruce S »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 11:17:50 AM »
Kill the messenger!

Thanks

G-
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:17:50 AM by ghurd »

georgeodjungle

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2005, 11:21:42 AM »
white teeth is another fine example:

every one likes whitened theeth,how ever unatural.

and thay DO NOT last as long.but it's ada like's it.the money .

the tooth brush was invented here in plumas county california.

if it was invented any where else it be called a theeth brush.

what do you call 32 people in the quincy theater?a full set of theeth.

some bad old jokes.

SO,off to taylorsville solar cook off.

i have to defend my title.

with any luck it will 3 years in a roll in 1st.

or 15 in top 5.

come on up there's always room for one more.

we usaly have the campsite with the most tents next to the river.

you'll hear me.aaauuuhhhhhhuAAAAAuuHHHHHHHaaaaaaaauuuhhhh or some thing like that.

great people & food.

there'll be some great bands.

avant gardeners will say something dumb of course.

geroge and freands will playing to.

tied dye every were you look.

the grange halls floor is desinged to bonce like a big trampoline,way fun watching things bounce.

i wonder if there's a way to make power from that?

bring fire wood we allways run out.

cell phone blocker will be on high.

oh ya some alternitive cooking & power stuff to.

check out plumasarts.com/concerts/solar05.html

the internet is safe untill monday.

thanks for all your input.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:21:42 AM by georgeodjungle »

solarbbq

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2005, 01:37:43 PM »
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 01:37:43 PM by solarbbq »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2005, 07:49:07 AM »
Nice looking trikes.

What knid of distance / speed do you get on just the batteries?

Due to city laws here we're regulated to a max of 28 mph.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 07:49:07 AM by Bruce S »