Author Topic: Beware low flying trees  (Read 6448 times)

jimovonz

Beware low flying trees
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:47:09 AM »
Some time ago I built a 2m smartdrive based turbine to provide power for a remote wireless repeater. The build was a bit of a rush (I needed broadband!) and the machine basically got put into service as soon as it was turning. The smartdrive motor on which the alt was based uses 1mm windings and was left basically stock standard (no rewiring, star connected). I have played extensively with smartdrives over the last 4 years, but never before put one to use in a permanent turbine - I have been more focused on something that might provide a significant portion of my household needs. As those of you familiar with the smartdrive know, the stock standard motor is no good as an alt without first rewiring as it as its voltage goes up way too quick and it stalls at cutin. To get around this problem with the standard motor - and because its been an interest of mine - I made up a (kind of) MPPT controller/regulator. This basically used PWM to vary the load that the alt sees, connecting and disconnecting the battery to the alt at around 1kHz. This is not what would normally be considered a 'true' MPPT as it did not include an inductor in series with the battery to keep the voltage on the turbine side high i.e the turbine is dragged down to battery voltage every time its connected - 1000 times per second. This worked well to match the prop to the alt, but did nothing to address the large losses due to voltage mismatching. However because the load the turbine was only supplying was 2A max (while I was actually using the internet, going to sleep otherwise) and was being installed in a very exposed, windy location, I was happy that it just worked. The intention was to pull it down at a later date, finish it off and do some testing.

I finally got around to retrieving the turbine about three weeks ago - leaving the batteries in place for me to drive up and recharge with the vehicle every few days...

While the turbine was up, I did some simulation in circuitmaker using an inductor to match the voltages between the blades and alt. I came up with a circuit that seemed to work in theory and went about building it. I made a 100uH (calculated) air cored inductor that looks surprisingly like one of the coils you find in our dual rotor alts... It came out at around 0.1 Ohms. I used a bunch of 200V P Fets in a typical buck regulator configuration but when I actually built the circuit I found my fet gate drive lacking and had trouble getting over 1kHz without overheating. At 1kHz my poor 100uH inductor has a hard time controlling the voltage and I was getting about 50% ripple with a 100w load. After asking around I came up with an alternative gate drive circuit that allowed me to get to 10kHz without too much trouble. Once again I was keen to get out and test things before I had properly finished so I whacked on a pot so I could manually vary the pulse width and took her for a burl (manual control allowed me to put off the non-trivial task of developing a suitable algorithm for automatically finding the max power point).

I mounted the turbine on a 2.5m pole mounted at the rear of my tandem trailer. This put the bottom of the blades some half a meter above the roof line of my vehicle and some four meters behind. It also meant that the top of the blades extended almost 4m above ground level. I made a number of runs with the turbine not attached to a load before having to retire due to lack of light. Unloaded the turbine spun up to around 1200rpm @ 40kph where it started furling with a TSR of about 11 (designed at 7). As is typical of the smartdrive, start up occurred at around 30kph but would spin quite happily down to around 10kph after it had got going.

The following day after the help I had arranged did not arrive, I went about testing the turbine under load by myself. I decided to make a few quick runs just to make sure the basic functionality of the MPPT was OK. Initial results looked very encouraging, voltage was staying high on the turbine side and I was getting good current into my 12V battery. I could noticeably vary the load on the prop by cranking the pot (varying the pulse width). At this point I had not recorded any figures, but rather was just making sure things were alright overall. Now, the area I live in is a hilly rural location with winding, reasonably narrow roads with lots of trees, shrubs, scrub etc along the verge. I decided to test the MPPT under a reasonable load so I increased my speed to around 35kph (10m/s or 22mph) and tweaked the pot.  I managed close to 60amps into the battery while maintaining around 60Vrms on the turbine side. Even though the battery was fairly well flat, the voltage was a steady 14V indicating the dump load was working. I was really excited, it seemed to be doing what it was meant to be doing! This output was only maintained for maybe only 10 seconds but I did notice a hot smell coming from the seat next to me. I leant over and sure enough the fets with their minimal (temporary) heatsink were do'in it pretty hard. I leant further to disconnect the entire circuit from the turbine and in doing so drifted a bit close to the side of the road. Now don't get me wrong, I was in no danger of leaving the road, I merely went closer than I intended. It just so happens that on this particular stretch of road there are some trees that overhang. Of course the trees over hung just far enough to clip the blades as they roared on by.  The net result was that the entire turbine got wrenched around and toppled the pole on which it was mounted. The whole setup then promptly meet the road with the blades rapidly loosing length as the unforgiving tar seal refused to give way beneath them.

No more testing.

The whole mess after I retrieved it:

My brand new 24" blade set...

A slightly worse for wear smartdrive:

Not a bad aerofoil section tho...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 12:47:09 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: Beware low flying trees
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 06:53:29 PM »
I think a more agressive set of blades would help.  Might try some with 'White Pointer'profile... and attitude.

Ron

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 06:53:29 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

jimovonz

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 07:00:58 PM »
Hmmm... Go into the tree trimming business....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 07:00:58 PM by jimovonz »

Shadow

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 09:30:29 PM »
Man.. I feel for ya, Its a sick feeling after all that work to see it in that condition. I lost one in a similiar manner. Just have to rebuild and keep moving forward. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 09:30:29 PM by Shadow »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 10:50:13 PM »
Sorry about the mill - but glad some young person hadn't just stepped beyond the verge... Good way to get your picture in the local paper when cub reporter Jimmy Olsen snaps your photo while you are throwing the roadside tantrum with Video at 10?

Wonder if having an orange flag on mobile test mast would make it wholly legal?

-

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 10:50:13 PM by DanG »

domwild

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 11:07:23 PM »
Hi,

Just when someone with a "black belt in electrickery" is looking at MPPT (with F&P) in earnest a tree should jump out from the side. Sorry to see this mess.

I am sure you know that the Picaxe microcontroller is simple to program and has a PWM command and with software you could automate your trimpot "twirling". It also has a "count" command to count the pulses coming from the Smartdrive to get the RPM.

Keep up the good work and if you can spare the time, put the schematic on this forum.

By the way, according to Glenn Littleford (www.thebackshed.com), a 1mm Smartdrive must be an older model.

Regards,

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 11:07:23 PM by domwild »

jimovonz

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 01:25:19 AM »
Hi Dominic, more like a white belt with lots of enthusiasm... You are really preaching to the converted as it were. I have been using the picaxe for over two years, and pic micros in general for longer than that. The very circuit I talk about in this diary entry uses a NZ$6(US$4) picaxe 08M along with its pwm. I fully intend to implement a full MPPT utilising a picaxe. I only used the pot as an easy way to test the basics of the circuit before I get down to the task of finetuning an algorithm that automatically tracks the maximum power point. Indeed I used the picaxe to read the pot and set the mark/space ratio. I have used the pulsein command to determin rpm on the F&P, however I don't believe that knowing the rpm is necessary to track the MPP, in fact as the voltage into the battery is reasonably constant, you can probably do a good job by only measuring the current in. An increase in current into the battery always means more power is goin in and viceversa and there is no need to deal in absolutes. I am using a UGN3503U halleffect sensor to measure battery current directly with the picaxe.

I have used the picaxe for a number of smartdrive related projects, including driving it as a motor to aid startup. My goal is to achieve 1kW @ 10m/s with an unmodified smartdrive alt, while achieving a startup of around 3m/s.

I have a number of smartdrive motors, pieces and whole machines, none of which cost me a penny. I plan to test the MPPT on various combinations. The blades are the only thing I regret loosing as I put a lot of effort into those. They were carved out of redwood (soft and easy to work) and had two layers of fibreglass/epoxy. I may now try a set of PVC blades just to get going with the testing again.

Thanks for the encouragement
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 01:25:19 AM by jimovonz »

PaulJ

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 02:14:03 AM »
   Are you planning on "road testing" the helicopter blades?

Seriously though, you have my sympathy. It's no fun seeing something you've taken the time to build smashed like that.

Paul.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 02:14:03 AM by PaulJ »

jimovonz

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 03:08:17 AM »
Ahem... That would be interesting... a few more trees to worry about... I am making some progress on that one by the way - I'm expecting the rotors (brake drum and wheel rim) back from the machine shop tomorrow. I was too slow at retrieving the other half of the trailer axle and now have to find another yaw bearing. The metal recyclers that took the trailer wanted $199 for it - they only paid $150 for the whole thing as scrap, including 3 1/2 axles! I'm sure I can track down another.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 03:08:17 AM by jimovonz »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 03:20:18 AM »
Now.....explain to the war department how much you have saved by doing it all by yourself. .........I'm sure she will understand
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 03:20:18 AM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

jimovonz

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 03:23:04 AM »
EXACTLY! The only reason I had time to do this anyway is because she is away! I'm meant to be finishing the house...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 03:23:04 AM by jimovonz »

kitno455

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 07:51:03 AM »
this is why i really recommend leading edge tape for blades :)

allan

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:51:03 AM by kitno455 »

craig110

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 09:48:28 AM »
Well, look at the bright side: You won't have to worry about furling in high winds with your newly-shaped 'mill.  ;-)

Craig

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:48:28 AM by craig110 »

Nando

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 05:25:13 PM »
FIRST ERROR :

Forgot to calculate the RPM

Second Error:

Forgot to calculate the frequency of the generator

Third error:

Forgot to use 3 transformers to convert to battery bank voltage

Fourth Error No need to continue, enough errors

Yes !!! - No help to do the testing

The Smart Drive produces around 1 watt per revolution.

GOOD LEARNING

Nando

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 05:25:13 PM by Nando »

jimovonz

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
I'm not sure what your saying here??? I was measuring rpm with out any trouble at all - using the frequency of the alternator in fact. Are you suggesting that I would be better off using a transformer per phase to achieve voltage matching? The buck converter I built seemed to work fine (albeit for a brief period!) I don't believe that a fixed ratio conversion will maximise the potential benefits. On what do you base your 1w/rpm figure for the smartdrive? Any particular model? To what do you attribute the unusually linear rleationship? I must say that this is not my experience.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:15:11 PM by jimovonz »

Nando

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 09:39:48 PM »
I have used the S&D, mostly the 100 ( or 1mm diameter).

I do not have my S&D RPM table with me right now.

The S&D gives around 1 watt per revolution, so at about 400 RPM about 400 watts out if properly loaded.

Since you are not modifying the wiring, it is best to use transformers to bring the voltage down to the level needed - - but you need to determine first the output voltage of the S&D at the RPM desired, then you match that voltage to the voltage you need to bring down for proper power harvesting - - one can not guess and get what you want.

The rectified output needs to be within certain range for the controller to operate, also if you have a wind mill, the Buck converter can not just convert, it needs to know what power is going to be transfered for the wind mill to properly generate the power that the mill has at that moment, - - in other words it should have the current variable and set by the available voltage - - it is called MPPT (Maximu Power Point Tracking).

You just described the behavior of the Buck converter set to maximum voltage that forces maximum current.

I am attaching an article for your perusal - - it may assist you and give you the proper perspective for your project.

Nando

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:39:48 PM by Nando »

Nando

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 09:44:38 PM »
IT seems that the attached file was not included, so go to my files and down load

2lFD_MPPT_.pdf

Regards

Nando

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:44:38 PM by Nando »

domwild

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 11:37:33 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. So you are a fellow South-East Asian! Anyone with lots of F&Ps like myself must hail from this area. Have collected a few here in Perth, WA.

Have done nothing so far with a Picaxe but read the manual and saw the goodies it has, like PWM and count command. Jerry is pulse charging a battery with a NE555 and optoisolated from the 60V input he is using and has posted a circuit. As I know little about electronics (hardware) but have been teaching computer programming since the punched card days, I am more of a software person and the Picaxe is a godsend for me. It can also easily do the star/delta switching in addition to the pulse charging and the dump load, IMHO. But it needs someone like you, commanda, Nando, Glenn Littleford, Jerry, etc. to build the hardware and post the schematic.

Glenn Littleford is also using a home-built Ammeter with a Hall-effect sensor.

Am interested to find an algorithm for battery charging via pulsing, which, once the batteries are charged, then diverts to dump loads. It is surely more complicated then to simply check if the charging voltage has reached 14.4 VDC.

If you have read my recent post, then you will have read my suggestion, that 1.5m radius and, in my case, two props is good enough to spin a cogging F&P in howling Easterlies (catabatic winds) but only on a 4m pole close to the house and next to a tree. I do not know if my floating hub allowed it to spin up more easily as it is here 37 deg. and I did not spend too much time watching the props.

Am building a spring-loaded floating hub at the moment as it may be possible to switch in one phase (14 coils out of 42) or more phases without too much vibration. All part of a desperate effort to match load to generated power. The spring should pick up all the cogging, hope, hope!

Regards,

dominic

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:37:33 PM by domwild »

domwild

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 11:44:53 PM »
Jim,

If I may butt in here. Amanda (commanda) has published a lot of graphs of RPM vs. voltage and has used three toroids. If you can't find them I can dig up a link for you.

Would be interested to see a schematic how one finds the Amps via a hall-effect sensor and a Picaxe.

Regards,

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:44:53 PM by domwild »

jimovonz

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 12:33:20 AM »
So your proposing that I feed the MPPT via a transformer? Is that not just compounding losses? The buck regulator I designed utilises 200V rated fets (as stated) and can handle a variable input 12-200V (obviously 200V is absolute max and the unit would necessarily be derated some). I'm  awear of the matching requirements between the alt and its load as I stated in my original post. At what point to you propose that I was  guessing, hoping to get what I want? If you read my post properly you will see that I  clearly mention the requirement for an appropriate control algorithm to 'find' the  max power point. It is implied that this would be achieved by current/voltage control. I have already gone a long way towards achieving this. "...I whacked on a pot so I could manually vary the pulse width..." I attached a pot to allow manual control of the mark space ratio so that I could get out and test the unit rather than the control software. Once the appropriate algorithm is defined it is a simple matter for me to put the unit in its control. As evidenced by the fact that the turbine side voltage (rms) was considerably higher than the regulated battery voltage (14V) I'd say the converter was doing just what it should. When I started off the test run that saw me 'crash' my turbine, the unloaded voltage (unloaded purely due to the fact that I had reduced the pulse width to zero) was more than double the loaded voltage at the maximum point (once again, found by 'sweeping' the range by varying the pot - tracking the max power point!)

I find your comment about my supposedly impropper perspective rather arrogant and condescending especially due to the fact you obviously have not read or misread my initial posting.  I use the term MPPT a number of times in my post and yet you find it necessary to inform me as to its meaning. I do thank you for the article - I found it interesting but not particularly informative. All ground that I'd covered previously.

I have followed many of your MPPT related comments but have not yet seen anything usuable. I may not be particularly experienced with electronics, but I do have 15 years of programming up my sleeve and at least I'm giving it a try.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 12:33:20 AM by jimovonz »

jimovonz

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 02:55:07 AM »
Hi Dom,

I've followed all Commanda's postings closely. Due to my microwave escapades I have around 100 reasonable sized transformers at my disposal. I have rewound a fair few for various projects. I feel that although you can certainly get improvements using a transformer to match voltages, you can only maximise your returns at one specific point. The idea of the variable buck converter/MPPT was to maximise output across the  whole range - a variable transformer as it were.

The halleffect current sensor is very easy to implement with the picaxe. As it happens, I prepared one earlier for another project (electronic inverter/ballast for a high pressure sodium lamp for solar street lighting)

I use the UGN3503U which costs me $NZ4.95 from www.sicom.co.nz. I run it off the same 5V supply rail that the picaxe uses and it outputs a variable 0-5V readable directly by the picaxe. In a the absence of a magnetic field (i.e a field intensity below its minimum threshold) it outputs around 2.5V (varies slightly chip to chip) The output swings higher/lower depending on the polarity of the magnetic field it encounters. It has a linear response at approx 1.3mV/gauss up to +-900gauss. In order to use it as a current sensor I salvage a ferrite core from one of my microwave power supplies and cut a thin slice through one side using a 1mm cutting disc on my grinder. I glue the sensor in the cut so that the core concentrates the flux through the chip. Sorry for the burry photo but this should give you the idea:

The sensitivity can be altered by using more turns on the core (at the expense of range). I find that using the 10bit ADC on the pic axe gives me an resolution of around 0.3A with one turn (wire going straight through core) and a range of around +
-120Amps. More turns gives you proportionally better resolution and less range. Once the chip is powered and the output is connected to a picaxe input pin, its just a matter of a readadc10 command and you have a current reading. If you want to know the absolute value of the current being measured you need to calibrate the output against a known value and scale the results accordingly.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 02:55:07 AM by jimovonz »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 03:22:01 AM »
last post didn't work

Jimovnz, a question if i may

What parameters will you monitor and how will they interrelate to one-another to generate the pulse width.

Reason I ask, is I've built a few (and blown plenty of fets to hell and back) pwm battery chargers before.

Is it possible to use a dumb pwm to achieve a modicome of success in this mppt caper. The tl494 has two op amps to use to monitor the real world, which can be fed from 324's or buffers monitoring other params. ie ac voltage, current,frequency etc. Surely some useful mppt approximation would be possible......maybe...should I rephrase this..

.........oztules

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:22:01 AM by oztules »

jimovonz

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 03:34:52 AM »
Dom, I also have a background in software. A shunt regulator is pretty straight forward with the picaxe. The basic algorithm is surely as simple as you say. Every cycle you check the voltage of the battery (through a voltage divider, protected with a zenner) if the battery voltage is greater than 14.4v (or any voltage you determine - could be read as user input via a pot) increase the pulse width (check limits), if the voltage is lower than 14.4v reduce the pulse width (once again check limits - there is no bounds checking on the picaxe and variables will 'wrap' with no over/underflow error). The pulsing can either be done with the pwmout or pulsout commands depending on what frequency you want. The pulse output drives a fet which switches a dump load across the battery (use n channel fets to switch from the ground side) You can even use the so called logic fets that can be driven direct from the picaxe (though I invariably end up driving with at least 10V when I try to use these but thats probably because I use too high a frequency and am limited by the 20ma max draw on the picaxe). Just watch your temps - lots of heat sink and use more fets(in parallel) than you think you'll need and don't listen to the spec sheet when it tells you the fet can handle 120A and it comes in a TO-220 package... I used 4 x IRFZ48N at $2 odd each in the last one I made. They are rated at 64A each.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:34:52 AM by jimovonz »

jimovonz

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 04:15:11 AM »
As I see it: the ultimate goal is to maximise power harvisting from the wind. In our particular application that means current into the battery, what ever size/voltage. In all cases more current into the battery is good, less current into the battery is bad  - it is not necessary to know the voltage/rpm etc in order to know if you are harvesting  more power or not. There is only one output - pulse width. If I increase the pulse width and check to see if the current has increased or decreased I can determine if I should increase it again or decrease it. If I increase the pulse width and there is more power available in the wind then RPM will drop slightly as the alt is loaded more and more current will flow causing the system to try and increse the pulse again. If no extra energy is available then the RPM will slow more and the current will drop and the system will shorten the pulse to lighten the load on the prop. If the wind increases then rpm/current will increase and the system will think that what ever it did last (increase or decrease) was positive. If it was decreasing it will continue decreasing until power is lost (not the right course of action but this condition shouldn't last long). Once power is lost the system will try increasing the pulse will result in an increse in power and it should start recovering the extra energy in the increased wind.

I'm tired so I hope this makes sense...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 04:15:11 AM by jimovonz »

Nando

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 07:53:13 AM »
whoa, you are cocky with a chip on your shoulder.

You must live fully stressed - Life is short enjoy it, instead of developing "rabies"

The pot and "...I whacked on a pot so I could manually vary the pulse width..."

told me how much experience you have designing a buck converter with MPPT capabilities.

If I properly read your comments I am :"rather arrogant and condescending "

If I miss-read your comments what ?.

It is very difficult to help somebody when somebody is PERFECT and STRESSED, sorry I sent information for your problem, and lack humility with high level of arrogance.

Nando

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:53:13 AM by Nando »

kitno455

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 07:54:36 AM »
j-

thanks very much for the hall-effect current sensor design. that is so simple it hurts :)

dont take nando personally. i just watched him rant in another thread that we should not use transformers, so i dont think it has much to do with you :)

allan

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:54:36 AM by kitno455 »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 11:11:09 AM »
Gentlmen,

I wonder if I can help here.

Jimovonz,  I think Nando was truly trying to help although I think he may've been making assumption about the type of MPPT you're building.  In some styles of algorythm you would would use more inputs like RPM or even raw windspeed to calculate the maximum power point.  Also, some people might opt for the transformer route to get things matched up a little closer.  Sometimes when we're trying to help we make assumptions and answer the wrong question.

Nando,  Come on, give the guy a break.  His beautiful mill just self destructed all over the highway right when he was gettting ready to do the final tuning.  I'd have a short fuse too and I can understand why he would read your first posting as being on the harsh side.  A little further down he later explained his MPPT algorythm using an iterative loop that'll simply hunt for maximum charge current under all conditions.  This should have legs and is the kind of thing that microcontrollers are really good at.

I hope you two can exchange smileys and move on now.  :-)

RP

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:11:09 AM by RP »

jimovonz

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 11:24:14 AM »
:)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:24:14 AM by jimovonz »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 02:01:28 PM »
Perfectly clear    .......current ......current  and current............think i'll check the current perhaps, and track that

thanks.......oztules
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 02:01:28 PM by oztules »

41south

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 06:59:47 PM »
Hi Jim,

I'm assuming you are in NZ? I have a spare F&P rotor that I could donate to your cause if you would like it. I'm in Wellington, email me at the address above if I can help.

I was going the F&P way, but I'm now heading down the "Zubbly" path - I just need a rotor turned down by someone with a reasonable lathe.

Cheers

Colin.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 06:59:47 PM by 41south »

jimovonz

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 07:27:16 PM »
I appreciate the offer Colin. I have a stack of smartdrive parts that I've collected over the years. I have around 5 complete motors + 2 whole machines in the shed. The part that hurt the most was the blades - do you have a spare 2m set, maybe TSR 7??? :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:27:16 PM by jimovonz »