Author Topic: Low speed hydro  (Read 9711 times)

12AX7

Re: Low speed hydro
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2006, 10:15:59 PM »
Hello Elvin1949

Over the years I've collected a piles and piles of stuff.

Bearings..(many sizes and mounts)    Lots of shafts..  1/4 to 2 in.  PM dc motors...   1/3 to 1 hp.  (brushes..bearings to support them).. universal joints (some pretty big)    gear boxes..   inline, right angle  most are 1-10.

a few small ac servos (I think they've been over looked by many here)

Gears.. pulleys..belts..

I've got wire..  connectors.. relays.. caps ..  rectifiers..

angle iron.. a nice selection of aluminum...   lots of hardware (too much of it is stainless)

Ac motors..    controls for some of the dc motors..  

ah...     {that's enough for now..}

I have some common hand tools..(yeah, power too)

a few minutes away..   a mill.. lathe..  tig welders...

So..  anyways..    what I haven't is a pile of $$$$

Well..  tell you the truth,  I did have a "little one"..  but during his last visit my 5 year old grandson explained to me that I had too much "stuff".

So ..  I made him a bank out of a plastic jelly jar.   and we both had a good time.

But thanks for the suggestion!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 10:15:59 PM by 12AX7 »

roddy

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2006, 06:02:07 AM »
same direction I'm headed. got a friend who makes small pontoons out of 6" pvc filled with foam and capped off, very stable and floats high. mount the paddlewheel on the back?front? maybe add some type of channeling underneath the raft in  v shape to direct more water to the wheel. Screen it off and tie it off to the bank. This would allow generator to be up on the raft with only the tie wire(s) and power wire headed to the bank. it's gotta work. Same here about the project requirements, some lights on the bank would just be grand or a small pump sending creekwater up to the garden instead of turning on the water hose.  

maybe the best part would be if my kids remembered it like you remember your father talking about it. you're taking it one step farther than him apparently, if my son or daughter takes it another step maybe they can start to make a difference at an earlier age.

roddy

« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:02:07 AM by roddy »

elvin1949

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 05:09:47 AM »
12AX7

It is the design that i like.

Low rpm water driven at flow of stream rate.

Your water wheel is very doable.

Float the water wheel on pontoon's.

Drive the gennie off of the outside of the wheel.

When first assembled use a dummy shaft for the output,test with a prony brake to measure power,

then build a gennie to match that output.

Power to the batteries.Simple

later

elvin

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 05:09:47 AM by elvin1949 »