Author Topic: magnet test for new rotor  (Read 1478 times)

pepa

magnet test for new rotor
« on: September 12, 2006, 09:29:38 PM »
I have a completed a couple of test that seems to verify an article I read about magnet flux density consecration into the air gap with almost no flux leakage. The site is http://www.magnetweb.com/Sect4A.htm . There are a lot of formulas that I don't completely understand but gives a very convincing example of how magnet flux works. I have thought about this for a long time and designed a rotor that should work if I understand the flux circuit and the way the flux can be contained in the circuit without a lot of leakage. I am starting to put everything together and have several questions for the board.. For the test I used laminates from old transformers as the metal backing and tried it edge up and flat up to magnets, flat was stronger by a small amount. Would it be better to use solid stock instead of laminates to make the circuit? I used two 1/2/ ½ n50 neos pared and had a very strong 1" air gap. If I stacked three magnets and then closed the air gap to one half with steel, would I gain enough extra flux density to make the cost of extra magnets worth the price. what happens when the top cross-over wires go through the narrow flux gap? What I am doing is making a single non-magnetic rotor mounted with twelve horseshoe type magnetic fields that will rotate over a fixed stator of nine coils. The test that I did proved that the flux stayed in the magnet circuit with very little flux loss. By placing a Philips screwdriver within a few inches of one of these horseshoe  circuits, the tool will jump to it anywhere on the outside of the legs and can be pulled off without to much trouble. Touch the screwdriver to one of the legs on the inside and you will almost have to stand on the unit to pull it off, try it its fun. I took a couple of pictures of different strength test with one of the horseshoes and the results are very convincing. The inside of the legs will hold over thirty lbs. by contact only and the outside three sides of the leg will only hold about eight lbs. before turning loose of the weight. If this design works it will eleminate the problem of two rotors being pulled and warped toward each other. With the blades being attached to the rotor shaft, there should not be any force brought into play with the rotor. The stator will be put into place and adjusted to air gap clearance by being made in two halves (new design) and mounted to the bearing housing with adjusting bolts and washers as normal. The design will also eleminate the need for jacking bolts. Comments please, pepa.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 09:29:38 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: magnet test for new rotor
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 09:46:25 PM »
You need to clean your room.  ;-)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 09:46:25 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

stevesteve

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:26:04 AM »
The room looks fine to me ;-)

Is that a nice little water turbine thingy going on in the background or a small rain-guttering-type-multi-vane VAWT? We need to know these things Pepa!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:26:04 AM by stevesteve »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:49:16 AM »
If you are worried about the magnetic pull between discs you can join them together at the outside and support your stator from the centre as you propose.

I can see no virtue in using individual horseshoe magnets, the leakage flux will be higher than the normal disc arrangement.

Small machines such as the Marlec mount the stator this way and bring the leads out of a hollow shaft. If you try to scale it up to a big machine the stator mounting and strength will present more problems than the steel discs in the conventional arrangement.

For a modest size machine it will be fine, try it and let us know the results.

flux

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:49:16 AM by Flux »

pepa

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 01:26:48 AM »
thanks dan, not the comment i was looking for but a very accurite one, i keep a 30 gal trash can of fish food in the shop to feed fish in my pond along with five bails of hay in heavy trash bags that i use as an archery target, a couple of days ago i left the doors open to the shop and the wife desided to turn the horses into this area of the place for grass control. six horses spent the night destroying everything they could reach including a big box of solar cells, and three completed homebrew solar panels, while munching hay and fishfood. it will take some work to get the shop back in shape and finish asessing total damage. in the mean time fun goes on, pepa.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:26:48 AM by pepa »

pepa

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 01:56:49 AM »
hi steve, thanks for the support but i am sorry about your eye problem, just kidding. i have a lot of little windmills laying around that fall into different classes. first-idea stupid did not work. second-might work with modifications. third-worked but not very well. fourth-worked will save for later. the one that you mentioned works very well turning a 30v pm motor, it should also work as a water wheel. i had it flying for a while and changed out to something else to try on the tower (pole). pepa.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:56:49 AM by pepa »

thefinis

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 05:53:55 AM »
He he I know the feeling we have a bottle baby calf that is now about 300 lbs that thinks it is a dog or a person. It has been in my shed when the kids left it open and knocked over  or  s**t on everything in it. So I moved the calf feed to what was supposed to be an attached greenhouse it is now a storage area utility room failed experiment never use green roofing for greenhouse. I started finding the spring loaded door open with stuff knocked over blocking it. I couldn't figure it out at first then one day I heard a noise and caught the calf halfway in the door. I tried to back her out but she came on in and the door slammed shut behind her. I was yelling and trying to get the door open when she climbed up on some saddles/saddle blankets and jumped out an open casement window. Door now has a latch on it as well as the spring to keep it shut.

finis

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 05:53:55 AM by thefinis »