Author Topic: Tower Power Part #1  (Read 930 times)

WXYZCIENCE

Tower Power Part #1
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:18:49 AM »
This is the first post of the tower that I have been working on for the last week. Pictured here is the bronze yaw bushing fitted to the towers top section. The top section is made from the galvanized pipe of an old thirty foot, six inch grain auger.

The gear mount and bronze yaw bushing were machined and fitted to the casing. A nylon thrust spacer will be added to seal the grease in and water out.

The last picture shows how the casing fits on the tower. The unit will be water tight and the tower will also contain an air exchange fan at the base of the tower for cooling the genny.

Fall is here already and I am trying to finish the tower before snow. I call this place next year country because my plans change with the weather.
Joseph.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 06:18:49 AM by (unknown) »

Stonebrain

Re: Tower Power Part #1
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:14:08 PM »
Hi,Joseph

Wow! Cooling through the tower,controlled yawing,

bronze yaw-bearing ring,variable pitch?This will be the rolls

of the windmills.

Anyway you don't have tail,so why not make it upwind.

I'm not sure if you have the place for the wormwheeldrive,but I

guessed you checked it out.

Where will be nylon thrust ring.Underneath the ring or

on the edge of the pipe?

I love your work,

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 01:14:08 PM by Stonebrain »

WXYZCIENCE

Re: Tower Power Part #1
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 02:32:13 PM »
Stonebrain, the yaw will be able to rotate just over 360 degrees and the pitch control over 180. this will allow me to fly the unit upwind or downwind. The worm motor fits nicely 16" down inside the tower. The worm gear drive will have a slot cut into the tower pipe. The bronze ring and gear assembly will then slip into the top of the tower and mesh with the pinion. The bronze ring will then be secured by 4-1/4 stainless machine screws. The nylon thrust plate goes between the mill-case and the bronze ring.

Joseph.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 02:32:13 PM by WXYZCIENCE »