Author Topic: Going to try 6 phase  (Read 818 times)

Devo

Going to try 6 phase
« on: October 20, 2006, 11:47:34 AM »
I want to try the 6 phase option with this design

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/9/29/225612/686

I want to try the 6 phase , I am unsure how to wire it also I assume I need twice the coils & they need put between the others. to do this my original winding was 54 turns if memory serves correct. This would have to drop to fit the others in. Is there anyway to figure out the turns I would need for 6 phase if 3 phase gives 12 volts at about 180 to 210 rpm?

I more question , I have a few more 16" plates kicking around & the centre bearings & stuff , should I build 1 more genny the same except go 2 in hand 3 phase to compare the 2 genny's performance this winter?  

The last problem is the fellow I got the 15 guage from doesn't have it any more he has 15.5 now.Should look around & stick with 15 to keep accurate data on the windmills?

Devo

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:47:34 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Going to try 6 phase
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 08:07:16 AM »
I can only assume that you are still on about the 16 pole single rotor arrangement as you give no other information.

If this is the case you have 4 coils in series per phase at present. To make it 6 phase you connect with 2 coils in series. That means winding each coil with twice the number of turns of 1/2 cross sectional area wire.

Take half the winding as before, with a star point made of 3 starts. Connect 2 coils in series per phase. That completes half the winding. Now for the remainder, connect 3 finishes together to form a star point then connect 2 coils in series per phase to complete the second half. You now have two 3 phase windings which you could connect to separate rectifiers to produce 3 phase parallel with the same characteristics of the original 3 phase series winding.

To make it 6 phase, just join the star points. By reversing half the coils they are 180 deg out of phase with the others.

I can't give you more information if it is a single rotor, they are not really designable as the flux density depends on too many factors. You can base it on your previous results.

The only difference you find will be a bit lower cut in speed as 6 phase. If cut in speed is already low you might reduce the number of turns a bit.

If the picture in that link is what you have, you have wasted a lot of winding space and could have used thicker wire, the coils are nowhere near touching.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:07:16 AM by Flux »

Devo

Re: Going to try 6 phase
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:12:40 AM »
Thanks Flux , it is the 16 magnet machine. I realize I wasted lots of space on the first stator it was just a test to see what kind of results a single winding of 15 gauge would have with the larger diameter rotor , kind of a starting point.

I understand how to do the 6 phase now Thank-you!

Devin

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:12:40 AM by Devo »