Author Topic: oddball generator update  (Read 819 times)

pepa

oddball generator update
« on: October 24, 2006, 03:16:16 AM »
working on alternator project while waiting on parts for boiler unit. i finished the corian magnet and stater disk that i will use as a pattern to make ceremac molds and need to finish magnet mounts and ribbon coils. below is a picture of one of the modified horseshoe magnet mounts with a sheet of paper on top and metal filings to show the flux path and air gap dentisity. i am very pleased with the way it has worked out so far but actual testing of electrical output will be the true test of the design working or not. with twelve fan like blades running on both sides of the coil, there should not be any worry about heat buildup in the stator, but i plan to test this unit at a high overspead rate for a extended period of time to make sure.

as you can see, the flux is consentrated in the air gap at the opposit end from the two 1x2x1/2 n50 neos. any thoughts welcome. pepa
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:16:16 AM by (unknown) »

RogerAS

Re: oddball generator update
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 12:37:23 PM »
Pepa,

That's one interesting photo, the one showing flux lines. I wonder what would happen if one were to experiment with the lamination shapes to even better focus the field (assuming you haven't doen that already).

Now let me get this straight, these "C's"are going to be radially arranged, facing the center with the gap, driven by a shaft so as to spin past a coil array? Or, do these "C" shapes remain still while th coils rotate?

The problem I see with having the "C" bars spin is how do you get the coils inside? Either the "C" bars are mounted in a clamshell or the stator is something I can't understand, probably the later.

I am hinting at seeing more of the alternator plans. <|;-)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 12:37:23 PM by RogerAS »

pepa

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 04:23:58 PM »
hi Rodger, good to hear from you. the outside leg of the "c" is held on place by the force or the magnets and it will have two brass bolts going through both legs and  the disk. they will be located above and below the magnets and the bottom rod will be the adjustment for the air gap. the front or outside leg can be removed or pivoted to one side with the bottom bolt removed, to install the stator which is mounted to the rotor hub with the shaft running through a hole in it. there should be no problem with installing the legs, one at a time, without the magnets trying to take your fingers off. the rotor will be locked to the shaft and the blades will have their own hub locked to the shaft as well. with this arrangement the air gap will stay the same size and can not touch the magnet mount no matter what the blades are doing. i still have a few more transformers to cut apart but i have about twenty more microwaves that i picked up in the last week or so and i can match laminates without a lot of cutting. this project is a fillin while getting the boiler ready for winter, first frost last night, and i had to build a fire in the fireplace. i have a heatexchanger coming for the petter but it has not arrived yet. i was lucky enough to pick up an almost new gas fired hwh at the recicle center and have stripped it down to use as the heat exchanger in the boiler. i have also finished the burner and am working on the outside housing for the unit. lots of fun, pepa
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:23:58 PM by pepa »

pepa

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 04:27:10 PM »
hi Rodger, good to hear from you. the outside leg of the "c" is held on place by the force or the magnets and it will have two brass bolts going through both legs and  the disk. they will be located above and below the magnets and the bottom rod will be the adjustment for the air gap. the front or outside leg can be removed or pivoted to one side with the bottom bolt removed, to install the stator which is mounted to the rotor hub with the shaft running through a hole in it. there should be no problem with installing the legs, one at a time, without the magnets trying to take your fingers off. the rotor will be locked to the shaft and the blades will have their own hub locked to the shaft as well. with this arrangement the air gap will stay the same size and can not touch the magnet mount no matter what the blades are doing. i still have a few more transformers to cut apart but i have about twenty more microwaves that i picked up in the last week or so and i can match laminates without a lot of cutting. this project is a fillin while getting the boiler ready for winter, first frost last night, and i had to build a fire in the fireplace. i have a heatexchanger coming for the petter but it has not arrived yet. i was lucky enough to pick up an almost new gas fired hwh at the recicle center and have stripped it down to use as the heat exchanger in the boiler. i have also finished the burner and am working on the outside housing for the unit. lots of fun, pepa
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:27:10 PM by pepa »