Author Topic: passive solar warmer....  (Read 811 times)

DANO

passive solar warmer....
« on: November 09, 2006, 07:50:47 PM »
Hello All,

Ironic that FrankG just posted some awesome pics using the cans.  Here in Michigan we have a 'deposit' law so they'd cost 10 cents a piece....acceptable.  Anyway, back to the ironic part.  I just finished a small one 24" accross by 6 feet tall to supplement my four season room.  It was based on a design by someone here I think, or maybe Homepower...using a double layer of black screen suspended in the middle of a 2 x 4 frame, plastic greenhouse glazing, holes at top and bottom, simple convection....The whole thing was made from scrap/odds&ends taking up space.  Thought I could improve it abit...used polystyrene 1" for the back and then "spray-mented" tinfoil over that to capture the relected energy.  I set it up this morning and ran some errands.  Normally the room would be about 70 degrees F, but when I got home about two hours later (11:30 am) we were at a balmy 85!  Yahoo!  NOT!

Unfortuneatly, either some exposed polystyrene or the glue for the foil were giving off some potent gases/fumes.  Had to take it outside to let it breathe out so to speak.  Almost forgot, it's been about 60 F all day...I'll try again tomorrow after it's been aired out....

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 07:50:47 PM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: passive solar warmer....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:57:21 AM »
  Wallpaper paste would have worked maybe?

Well that'll help the rest of us that thought

about doing something similar....what not to do,

eh?

( :>) Norm
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:57:21 AM by Norm »