Author Topic: Addendum to Foam Form  (Read 1172 times)

WXYZCIENCE

Addendum to Foam Form
« on: November 19, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »
Here are some more pictures of the casting process that was used. This might make it a little easier to understand.

This is the mold and plug. There is a gap between the two set by the melt temperature.

The glass cloth that I call boat cloth is a random lay glass mat. It is bonded together with a type of glue that releases when the resin is added.

The first bag is placed around the foam plug. The fit has to be very close.

The boat cloth is cut so it is 1/2 an inch wider than the plug. I then fold the cloth and insert it into the second bag. The fit must also be accurate.

This is the best I have found for mixing and pouring small amounts of the resin. I draw two lines on the jug and the first pour was an accurate amount. The resin is not too dangerous. It is this stuff which the bad one.

After mixing two caps of the hardener I pull the plug back 6" and pour half the resin down one side and the other half down the other. I push the plug back down and fold the end bag over and duct tape it in place.

Joseph.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:22:00 PM by (unknown) »

SamoaPower

Re: Addendum to Foam Form
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:36:05 PM »
Many thanks Joe for clarifying the process. Neat photos.

I assume from your comments that the assembly is held vertical throughout the operation. Do you have any way to verify the uniformity of the skin thickness over the length? It seems like you're depending a lot on gravity.

I guess the photo in the other post didn't accurately depict the skin thickness because it looked a lot thicker than your 'boat cloth'. I may have to retract what I said about not needing a spar if a lot of the thickness is just resin.

I applaud your efforts Joe. It's certainly different than others I've seen.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 05:36:05 PM by SamoaPower »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:26:49 AM »
joe , how did you get the resin to soak into the cloth?

you said you poured it down the sides , but wasnt the plug encased in the second bag?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:26:49 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Stonebrain

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for explaining the casting process.

I can't hardly believe you didn't get bubbles by

just pooring.You didn't do anything to work out the

bubbles?

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:03:43 PM by Stonebrain »