Author Topic: Snowing like crazy here  (Read 3889 times)

jimjjnn

Snowing like crazy here
« on: December 20, 2006, 07:05:19 PM »
Dan  I suspect you are snowed in as I have a foot of snow here and looks like no letup till noon tomorrow. Heavy wind here and blizzard like conditions. I was thinking about the 20 footer getting frozen up.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:05:19 PM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Snowing like crazy here
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:25:39 PM »
snowing here also..

finally getting a little snow here--whole winter weave only had a couple of inches of snow...looks like a white christmas!!    :}

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:25:39 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:32:04 PM »
If they're at home, they may have missed most of what the front range has received so far, this storm has a big upslope component.  I saw where Silverthorne has only 4 inches.

Here in the north metro I shoveled 22 inches off the back walk.  Under the truck you could see pavement but just to the side were drifts of 3 feet and a few 4 foot drifts in the alley.  I'd say so far we've got a little over a foot.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:32:04 PM by zap »

Colorado

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 04:39:15 PM »
I'm in the San Luis Valley near the Sand Dunes and only have 4" so far, but boy is it gorgeous!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:39:15 PM by Colorado »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 05:18:30 PM »
no snow in Jersey yet this year , knock on screen

its supposed to rain friday , which will probably turn to snow by the 25th

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:18:30 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:27:23 PM »
were at a bit over 24" now I figure and it's still coming down fast.  Tomorrow looks like a day off!

It's been windy today - so no ice or anything on the wind turbines, were sitting happily at 54V.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:27:23 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

DaveW

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »
     I hope you all enjoy your white Christmas.  Down here we are still wearing short sleeved shirts, running fans, and fighting mosquitoes. I saw a white Christmas once, about 53 or so years ago.  Real nice to look at through the windows, didn't much care to get out in it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:14:00 PM by DaveW »

stephent

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 07:23:42 PM »
Pictures of the stuff are suffecient for me--I'm with Dave--looks good but I don't like having to get out in it.

That stuff is cold!

I prefer to just watch "White Christmas" on TV, for the umpteenth time.

Aww maybe I'm just getting old (hopefully--it beats the alternative) and grinchy in my old age. Bah-humbug...etc.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:23:42 PM by stephent »

jimjjnn

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 07:41:29 PM »
Still snowing and 4 foot drifts all over. Found a spot for my lil blind dog to do his business and he wanted right back in. Poor guy couldn't remember which direction the door was. Luckily he was on a leash so I could help him.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:41:29 PM by jimjjnn »

Old F

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »
So thats were its been going

Here in Ohio we had only a light dusting.

Old F

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:52:15 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

jmk

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:07:09 PM »
 You can keep it! I'm out on a marina tip on Lake saint Claire. I'm building a house in the best of weather for Dec. Other wise I'd be in trouble with miles of open water!

Being snowed in is always fun when you cant do anything but be home and do what ya need to too. Been there done that!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:07:09 PM by jmk »

Countryboy

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 10:02:44 PM »
That stuff is cold!

What?!  Snow isn't cold.  It has to be warm to snow.  Cold is when it is too cold to snow.

And if your spit turns into an iceball before it hits the ground - that's too cold for me.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 10:02:44 PM by Countryboy »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 06:24:40 AM »
Got about 8" here on Tuesday. Wet stuff, stuck to the trees, the telephone poles, street signs etc.

Wouldn't mind seeing a little sun today, haven't charged batteries much in two days.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:24:40 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »
That's a Purdy Pitcher even if you aren't charging Batteries

2 years ago we got this much snow in Huntsville North Alabama

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:26:51 AM by wooferhound »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 08:02:54 AM »
Twin Cities Minnesota has gotten one-third inch so far this season where the average to date should be seventeen-inches. So little pacific moisture gets across the mountains that the trace of snow we received was all that was left from ALL the storms that have hit the Northwest coast this year. A lot of the upper plains depend on the Gulf of Mexico moisture surges; please don't bogart the snow!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:02:54 AM by DanG »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 08:11:25 AM »
  Yeah, I could never figure why some guys used

to run around all summer and fall and then into

the middle of winter and as long as no snow...

no problem then...."Wow it's snowing...I better

check the anti-freeze in my car !" , as if nothing

could freeze up until it started snowing !

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:11:25 AM by Norm »

Gordy

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 09:16:57 AM »
Hi Dan,

I'm in Maple Lake, MN and been thinking of building a snow machine!!! Then last night on TV was a story of a guy who built one and is renting it out. $300.00 but didn't hear for how long. Renter suplies water of coarse.

Gordy

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:16:57 AM by Gordy »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 10:18:06 AM »
I saw that story

He rented that snow machine for $300 a night

I'm sure he charges extra for Christmas Morning . . .
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:18:06 AM by wooferhound »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 11:31:48 AM »
Saw a blurb on that too; the guy has had to shovel his walk three times this year already!! The reporter said snow making machines cost $400-800, when it was over I whined out loud I wanted a snow-maker for christmas but I don't think I'm getting one...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:31:48 AM by DanG »

MattB

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 12:54:57 PM »
We got a bit yesterday and last night at/near the otherpower HQ... pictured below from left to right are my XK120 Jaguar, Volvo 1800s, and my daily driver Volvo 240 wagon as taken from the front porch a few hours ago.

-Matt

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:54:57 PM by MattB »

Dixie

Re: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 01:13:45 PM »
This is NOT funny. I am NOT amused..

But, as a workin' dog... gotta do whatcha gotta do...

Dixie

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 01:13:45 PM by Dixie »

bj

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »

Matt- I thought we had some pretty good snow, but nothing like yours.

I do have one drift that is halfway up the cab on the two ton.  

It's probably not moving til spring.

Good luck with shoveling.

bj

Lamont, Alberta Canada

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 02:38:20 PM by bj »
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

jimjjnn

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 02:57:20 PM »
I was really surprised with my Jeep Liberty. I pulled out of my garage in part-time 4wd and it went through 3 feet of snow and I got to the street which was somewhat plowed and turned around and went back into the garage. No problem. Love that low speed  4 cylinder diesel. Never had Part-time 4wd before. Locks all 4 wheels up nicely.

We have drifts that are above 5'8" tall(my height) with most at 4 feet. Pretty close to 2 1/2 feet deep as it comes up 1/2 way between knees and hips. Lot of people on a main street here trying to go somewhere that are abandoning their cars as they have either slid off the street or got stuck in the street and can't go any further. Morons anew every day. Hmmmm. Seems I used to do that myself. Usually see the big 4x4s doing that. Didn't see any.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 02:57:20 PM by jimjjnn »

vawtman

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »
All we are getting up here is rain(wi)only a inch of snow so far in my area all year.Im an ice fisherman and the river is still not safe to put the house on.Last year i almost lost it in the middle of january.Normally a foot of ice by that time.

This Elnino is suppossed to be pretty strong.Maybe not even get out this year:(

Looks by the radar images that the storm bands are widening in other words the storm is weakening.

Hopefully we can muster up a inch for christmas out of it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:30:45 PM by vawtman »

nothing to lose

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 05:27:17 PM »
You know it's just hard to figure some people!

So many of you freely share so much great information and help others so much and we all are thankfull you do, but then your so darned greedy with the snow!!

PLEASE, send some here!!!

We had a cold spell with a bit of rain, I bet it got down to at least 50 last night, even had to burn a few sticks of kindling to take the chill off the house.

While you people hord all the snow to yourselfs I was forced to work on a car outside in the sun in a T-shirt today, and now I still have the house door open at 6pm to cool it off, still a bit warm in here. Serious, it has been far to warm here for this time of year, not a flake of snow that I recall yet!

WHERE is MY snow? I would thank you to send it to me soon. I will be happy to pay postage. Please insure the package as I expect it may be damged in transit as they often get slopy with shipping this time of year. They also get a bit slow, and snow is a perishable item and will spoil in time like Bananas.

Being this late, I would not get it before Christmas if shipped by UPS or Fedex anyway, perhaps you should leave the package under your tree and ask Santa to deliver it for us. I trust Santa so no Insurance needed if shipped by RPS-AS (Raindeer Parcel Service And Santa).

I love all those pictures of the high snows, but if you post many more some-one is going to have a geust camping in an Igloo in their front yard soon :)

I remember years ago when I first moved here I had to knock several inches of snow off the wood as I cut it as needed. I was not here to stock it in early and was cutting up small downed trees almost daily. It was cold also, sometimes 0F and below. I had no grid power, a 300watt inverter, car batteries, riding mower with GM alternator for a 12V genny. Yep, the good old days! I was here Oct. till Feb. that first year and most of it was cold.

It warmed up enough in Jan. that I took the motorcycle out of the box truck and made a 3 mile ride and was about froze to death. The roads were clean and clear, though snow was everywhere else. There was no T-shirt weather those months back then.

So where IS MY snow??

I really do hope all of you with snow enjoy it, and those without snow I hope are happy too. I love those snow pictures, thanks for posting them, really! I do wish I had some here and maybe in a few days we will get some? It would be nice if the grid went down here too like it has in the past, I am ready for it and I could use all these toys I been buying :)

A real nice ice storm like previous years would be nice too, the dead trees are so pretty when covered in 1" thick ice :)

Now they just look ugly and dead here.

Merry Christmas

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 05:27:17 PM by nothing to lose »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »
its an El Nino year ?!i didnt know that !

thats great!

El Nino years in New Jersey are fantastic!!  In Spring ( when it gets here )
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 05:27:36 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 06:14:59 PM »
Yes.  Were greedy.....

I think all last winter we got about 16" - creeks going dry, trees dying etc...  so this is very good for us.  A bit inconvenient sometimes - but lots of fun and very good  overall.  In the last 24 hours we got about 3x the snow we got all last winter.

Plus - its been windy and my windmills are keeping my shop a balmy 50 deg or so and I don't need a fire in here!  Lots of fun...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:14:59 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 10:15:10 PM »
Sure we need the moisture.  But it would have been nice if the good Lord would have seen fit to split it up into 3 or 4 separate events.  24 inches in 30 hours... I can do without even around Christmas time.

NTL, I'd send you my share of this "global warming fallout" but yesterday's 2 hours of pushing stuck cars and 2 late night hours of trying to free a city bus who definitely made the wrong turn, then today's 4 hours of shoveling, and 3 hours of running a snowblower for a neighbor who's husband is stuck out of town has left me a little winded.

Here's hoping you get yours!  ; )

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:15:10 PM by zap »

stephent

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 10:23:21 PM »
@Countryboy...yeah or throw a cup of hot (or cold) water into the air and it makes a big cracking noise when it freezes before it hits the ground--that's cold--too cold for me.

Me and water have a lot in common--both freeze up at 32F or there about.

Actually I wouldn't mind if it did snow for Christmas Eve--just a tad--maybe an inch or 2 and then go away when it warms up Christmas Day to 50 deg. F (hopefully). The Grandkids would love it on Christmas Eve when they come over here.

But I have seen it snowing lots of times when it's been below 10F. and 0F and -10F.

And all three of these temps are way to cold for me.

Outside of Christmas Eve or day--snow? Bah-Humbug!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:23:21 PM by stephent »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 06:00:37 AM »
It took me a while to figure that one out. Someone threw a frisbee out into the snow didn't they? I bet they did some laughing too. Good job Dixie!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 06:00:37 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

MattB

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 08:45:17 AM »
It's what I refer to as my 'remote control snow shovel'.. keep throwing the frisbee about 10 feet ahead, let the dogs break trail..  ;-)

Feed 'em extra kibble for their efforts

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 08:45:17 AM by MattB »

DANO

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »
Ahhhh, wonderful snow.  Wish I was one of the horders though I hate shoveling/blowing the stuff.  Very nice pics out there too.  Seems we're going to have a green Christmas.  Current temp is about 50 degrees F with steady rain...the

moisture is welcome as the lakes are still down a few feet, but in this part of Michigan and being on Lake Michigan or close to it anyway (1.5 miles) we'd normally have an average of 10-12 inches on the ground...nada so far.  Merry Christmas to all or even Froehliche Weihnachten ....  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:33:22 AM by DANO »

vawtman

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 07:33:10 PM »
Now i know why im not a weatherman has everyone at work says i should be.My forecast that the storm was weakening and that i hoped for a inch for xmas. Well we got that in a couple minutes along with a little thunder.I think we got 4in in a short time and still coming down hard.Tree just fell in the backyard (good thing).

White christmas here also.Love it.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:33:10 PM by vawtman »