Author Topic: Next JR VSs Star alt.  (Read 1420 times)

Jerry

Next JR VSs Star alt.
« on: March 04, 2007, 04:41:29 AM »
This pma is dual rotor 6.5". The discs are .25" thick. I'm using 8 round NEOs on each rotor. The magnets are 1.47" Diameter and .28" thick.

Originaly I was going to use 1.5" X .2" NEOs. I made a mistake somewhere along the way and the disc with the factory NEOs installed wound up at a smaller diameter. Or should I say the stators I cast wound up a littel larger diameter. Only about 1/8" but I want to keep the magnets centered real well in the coils.

I wound the coils in the stators at 1.5" ID. So the 1.47" magnets center real well.

Here's a picture of the stators. The JR is on the left with 340 turns of 24 gage each coil. The star coils are 85 turns of 18 gage.    

Here are the 2 steel discs with the fiberglass sheet magnet templates.

Here are the discs, templates and the 8" speaker basket for this alt.

I'm goint to use the pipe shaft and bearing support from the other test alt.

I'm eager to see the wave form on this alt. The other alt had a kinda raged tooth wave shape.

I think someone here posted that there round maget, round coil alt had a sine wave?

The fun continiues.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 04:41:29 AM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Next JR VSs Star alt.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:26:19 PM »
"I think someone here posted that there round maget, round coil alt had a sine wave?"

yes that would be me..

what is the distance between mags?

your coils are turning out nicely BTW,

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 10:26:19 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 12:42:09 AM »
Round magnets don't guarantee you will get a sine wave, but with that magnet spacing and those coils it will be fairly close. Phase volts may show a bit of 3rd harmonic but with star the line volts will probably be as close to a sine wave as you can see on the scope.

I think star will come out better in this case. Your connection will probably beat it on power out, but star may have better efficiency lower down in the power range. Your power measuring technique may not be sensitive enough to show it.

Look forward to the results.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:42:09 AM by Flux »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:45:13 AM »
Hi Willib.

Sorry Willib I didn't mean to slight your work. Just to much to keep trac of with very busy days and not much time.

Space between the magnets is 1/2".

With more test alts to be built there are many more coils to be wound.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:45:13 AM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 10:56:25 AM »
Hi Flux.

I was thinking about the drive motor. If the drive motor was to powerfull (HP) it may have so much tourque that the required power diferance of the 2 scheems may not be so evident.

However that didn't seem to be the case with the small and large motor I used on the last test.

Now are you saying that even on this test that if star requiers more drive power to make the same output, it produces less power at the same rpm and it runs alot hoter at the same amperage load that it still may be more eficient.

By "low down on the power range". Could this be evaluated at 2v, 4v or 6v at lower rpm.

I have a very large 2 volt cell for such testing. So I'll try to include that in this next test. I'll asume this test will be at the very minimum rpm.

As you can tell since my ideas here are being closley scrutinized I'm goin to test in any concevable way possable.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:56:25 AM by Jerry »

para t8

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 12:02:01 PM »
ha jerry,seen your last project looking good.im winding coils need a counter,i keep losing count and wasting wire,thats like spilling beer lol.any chance would you know a place where i could find one?talk to you later.

parat8
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:02:01 PM by para t8 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:10:52 PM »
8;

any chance would you know a place where i could find one?

Farm supply stores often had replacement bale counters for hay balers. They used to be common in a mechanical variety for about $10 but by now if they still exist probably a $50 bill.

Just one place I have seen counters. These use an arm that advances the # and would be easy to adapt to a winder.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:10:52 PM by TomW »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 03:36:47 PM »
Pull onr off a wheel measure
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 03:36:47 PM by tecker »

DaveW

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
para t8-

I found a nice one at Ace Electronics in Houston, they have a web site at ace4parts.com, great people, huge stock, prices are average.  But they do ship.

As has been said, for a good Veeder-Root counter with anti-bounce expect to pay $35 to $45, for half that you can go to Red Lion and get a digital readout, just add a microswitch.  I just didn't want to mess with a battery or power source.  You can see the Veeder-Root in my photo list, I think it is about 135 or so
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 07:34:47 PM by DaveW »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 01:17:29 AM »
Jerry

Don't worry too much about the drive motor until you get some results. If star is significantly less efficient you will see it with your method.

What I found on my tests was that the overall efficiency was very similar for star and Jerry, but the speeds were somewhat different. I found that star had less loss in the region above cut in. In this case you would have a problem separating the motor loss from the alternator loss.

I wouldn't bother testing into low voltages, By low end loss I meant into normal volts and low current above cut in.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:17:29 AM by Flux »

bigdan

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 01:51:29 AM »
The Surplus Center has them. Just got the new catalog. Item# 21-997 -$.99,if you can figure out a way to mount it. Those Red Lion cub models are pricey-$47.99,ouch.:(. Good looking work as always Jerry. Good luck and have fun, Bigdan
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:51:29 AM by bigdan »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
$1 counters
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 09:22:49 PM »
You can get a $1 pedometer at Dollar Tree put it

on a cam....each time it 'drops' it advances 1

simple as falling off a log.

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:22:49 PM by Norm »