Author Topic: Work in progress  (Read 1566 times)

Capt Slog

Work in progress
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:32:56 AM »
I wanted to make a small wind genny to go in my garden.  It won't have to big enough or high enough to frighten the neighbours into asking about planning permission, so 4ft diameter is what I was aiming for intially.

I don't have any access to welding kit, so I made a stub axle which I propose mounting on some sort of bulkhead.

The shaft was turned down to 16mm od, and the thread is M16, the bearings are twin race 5202 series.

This is a piece of steel tube that the breaings/shaft go into.  The Aluminium block is the separator that holds the discs apart, I had to cut it with a hand hacksaw from the barstock.  At around 3" diameter this took some time!  Then it was bored out on a small lathe.  It's retained on the steel tube by grub screws and a sort of circlip that you can't see in the photo.

This is the sleeve on the shaft.

I had two steel discs cut at a local firm by laser.  They cost me £10 each.  Each disc is 210mm diameter, with a 44.5mm cetral hole to fit on the hud assembly.  The perspex disc you can see will be fixed to the steel and will hold the magnets. (12 of 1" by 3/8" N42).  Three of the six holes in this one disc are tapped to M6, this is for the jacking arrangement.

Here are the discs on the hub, no magnets yet, just to show how it goes together.

Here I've put all the magnets into their holes and and the rear disc is mounted on the hub.  The scruffy piece of wood is my jacking plate, it's resting on the protuding front of the hub, and the front disc is fastened to it by 3 M6 screws which are in the tapped holes in the disc.

Here the front disc is in position and the wooden plate is about to be removed.

I'm at the testing a coil stage now, more to follow.

Thankyou to all who helped me get this far.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:32:56 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:14:22 AM »
Slog;

Fun, ain't it...

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:14:22 AM by TomW »

BT Humble

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 01:25:26 PM »

I don't have any access to welding kit, so I made a stub axle which I propose mounting on some sort of bulkhead.

It sounds like we have opposite problems - I have 3 arc welders, but I'm yearning for a lathe! ;-)

I picked up this one from the kerb on "Hard Rubbish Day" last year, nothing wrong with it at all:

BTH

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 01:25:26 PM by BT Humble »

Chagrin

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:14:28 PM »
I have one of the mini lathes and it's a real trip. If you were to ask me why I bought it I couldn't have given you an answer, but damn it seems like I'm always finding a use for it. Best $300 I ever spent.

Good for 95% of what I (want to) do, but dang I wish it was bigger :). It's a 7" swing but reasonably it's more like 2" unless you get really creative with how you mount the part.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:14:28 PM by Chagrin »

BT Humble

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »

I have one of the mini lathes and it's a real trip. If you were to ask me why I bought it I couldn't have given you an answer, but damn it seems like I'm always finding a use for it. Best $300 I ever spent.

Yeah, one of my mates has one of those.  He said it got a lot better when he had his dad set it up for him (dad's a retired machinist or something) and give him some practical instruction.

They seem to go for about $700 here in Australia, I'm inclined to save a few more dollars and get a full-sized machine from these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/ozmestore1

Particularly:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/_W0QQitemZ250094770599QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyway suggest an appropriate approach to She Who Must Be Obeyed? ;-)

BTH

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 01:50:52 PM by BT Humble »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:17 PM »
BTH;

I have found that a string of pearls followed by a Margarita (or 2 ) helps;-)

Good luck

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:53:17 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Countryboy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »
BT.

Give her $1,000 to blow on a toy.  After she buys her's and enjoys it for a few days, you mention that you are buying that lathe for yourself.

She won't want to take her toy back....so she won't be able to tell you no without feeling REALLY guilty.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:36:35 PM by Countryboy »

Capt Slog

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 04:07:34 AM »
This is the one I'm using.

http://www.warco.co.uk/shop.asp?catid=30&ProdId=148

It has a couple of annoying niggles but it's a nice machine on the whole.

I also got a milling attatchment with it that fits where the toolpost goes and allows vertical movement.  The milling bit then goes in the lathe chuck.  Not very easy to use though.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 04:07:34 AM by Capt Slog »