Author Topic: An Efficient 12V Ceiling Fan  (Read 19035 times)

SamoaPower

An Efficient 12V Ceiling Fan
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »
Here in the tropics, staying comfortably cool is a year round effort. With temperatures that seldom dip below 75F(24C) and humidity levels usually greater than 75%, fans play an important role in maintaining our cool. Even with expensive-to-power air conditioning, fans can help mitigate the cost. I'm sure these comments are somewhat lost on those of you in the northern hemisphere who are just coming out of the throes of winter.

A while back, I took a look at the power consumption of a single, garden-variety, flat bladed, 52" ceiling fan running on AC, at medium speed (about 120 RPM) and found it to be 45W at 120Vac, 60Hz. For my typical daily running time, it cost about US$100 annually to run it (28 cents/kWh). Another down side is that all of that power consumption is dissipated in the room as heat. Talk about counter-productive!

Considering that I run three of these at various times of the day in different rooms and that the cost of grid energy steadily soars upward, I thought it time to address the problem. The first test was to switch the most often used fan to the 12Vdc RE system via a small 200W inverter that also powers a few CFLs in the area. This worked fine and reduced the utility bill but at a burden of about 50Ah/day to the RE system. This is a pretty high percentage of my RE production and made me cut back computer time to compensate. Not too satisfactory.

The issue with ceiling fans is twofold - inefficiency of the rotor and inefficiency of that type of AC motor. We really need very little power to generate the gentle air velocity needed.

The Rotor

A report from Florida State confirmed what I thought all along about flat blades for fans. They really aren't very good at moving air. Similarly, they aren't very good for wind turbines either.

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/html/FSEC-CR-1059-99/index.htm

This report resulted in a blade design that strongly resembles what we might consider to be a good design for wind turbines except with blade angles and twist direction reversed, of course. It uses a "real" airfoil, taper and twist. They call this design the "Gossamer Wind".

I searched for commercial fans using this or similar blades and found a few. One that stood out was a DC version called the Vari Cyclone. It runs on 12-24V and only needs 4W at 12V. The only problem is a price tag of about $200 and not very wide availability.

My local ACE hardware store has a demo area set up with various fan models and I noticed an all-black model with similar blades. Standing under this "plain-Jane" model, I was rewarded with a good blast of air even though it was running at a quite modest speed. Compared to other fancier flat blade models running much faster, it put out a LOT more air. It is an Emerson Model HF 1160 and called "60" Industrial Heat Fan" (Heat??). This very unscientific test convinced me that it had merit, so I took one home at a sale price of $99.

Even though I was only interested in the rotor, it came with a powerful 156W, single speed AC motor that is intended to use a speed control. Maybe I'll find a use for it someday. Nice motor, albeit inefficient.

The blades (762495) and flanges (762497) are available from Emerson Parts (1-800-654-3545) for $55 and $28 per set of three, respectively (thanks Nanotech).

The Motor

A few years back, I bought a batch of Ametek 30V tape-drive motors on eBay to look at their wind turbine potential. Those tests were pretty disappointing so they were stuck on the back shelf (I am using a 50V however). As a low speed DC motor however, they perform quite well. I ran tests at 12 volts and lower and found the speed range quite suitable to a ceiling fan (60-140 RPM, loaded) and their power consumption was quite low.

Yes, the Ametek is a brushed motor which will eventually require brush replacement, but at 100 RPM and less than one amp of current, I expect them to last for a long time.

The Prototype

A 12" disk of 0.25" aluminum was cut to serve as a rotor hub. The original motor/hub is about 8" diameter, but I wanted to enlarge the swept area a bit. With the 12" hub, the rotor diameter is about 65".

By the way, I cut aluminum plate with a common wood router with a ¼" carbide straight bit and a homebrew circle jig. Works fine, although a bit slow going. It leaves a reasonable edge finish.

A 5/8" to ½" arbor connects the Ametek to the aluminum hub and the blade flanges are bolted to the hub periphery using stainless Nylock (nylon insert) nuts.

To connect the motor to the support down-tube, a piece of 4" PVC pipe with a glued end cap fit snuggly over the motor and is held in place with two stainless hose clamps. A slot is cut in the PVC to clear the wire exit point and a hole is cut in the center of the end cap to accept the down-tube. A piece of ¼" all-thread with Nylocks passes horizontally through the PVC end cap and holes in the down-tube. Two more Nylocks hold the tube centered on the motor.

Testing

The assembled fan was mounted on a test stand with the rotor vertical. This allowed balancing the assembly and access to the motor while avoiding spinning blades. The odd bit of steel on one of the blade hub bolts took care of the balance issue.

A 10 Ohm rheostat was connected in series with the motor and a 12Vdc source along with metering for voltage, current and RPM.

Motor voltage, current and calculated power were measured at three speeds.

At 80 RPM - 6.1V, 0.5A and 3.1W.

At 100 RPM - 8.0V, 0.8A and 6.4W.

At 135 RPM - 12.6V, 1.5A and 18.9W.

At the highest speed it was blowing an impressive gale, which I don't think I would ever use. I anticipate the mid-speed being used the majority of the time as it still moves a lot of air. The blades are actually rated to run up to 200 RPM, which I can't quite imagine.

The Controller

Since a series resistor would dissipate about 3W at 100 RPM, I decided to build a very simple PWM controller to reduce this loss. At 90% efficiency it would dissipate well under a watt. This was roughly confirmed by a small, measured 6^C temperature rise of the FET's small heat sink. With 10 total parts, its level of complexity was well in keeping with this simple task and provides variable speed control.

Results

This has been quite a rewarding project except that it has delayed some of my other pet projects. I often seem to get sidetracked this way.

I should save about $100 annually on grid power at the expense of about 8-9Ah of 12V RE energy per day and I put the old Ametek to good use. It moves roughly twice as much air at a lower speed than my old fan and, as a bonus, is absolutely silent. It won't win any beauty contests but I don't look up all that often.

All I have to do now is build two more.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:21:55 PM by (unknown) »

Slingshot

Re: An Efficient 12V Ceiling Fan
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »
That's a very worthwhile project.  Makes me wonder what sort of tornado these blades would have churned up with the original motor.

You noted that the "flanges" were available at $28 per set of 3.  What are these three "flanges" used for?  I only see the blades in your pictures.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 04:24:52 PM by Slingshot »

SamoaPower

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
The flanges (Emerson's term) are the stamped steel pieces that fasten the blades to the hub and set the blade angle. Three bolts to the blade and two bolts to the hub disk. If you're handy, you could probably make them. They're visible in the hub disk shot.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 05:29:09 PM by SamoaPower »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »
From the looks of that I suspect running in reverse wouldn't be an option. That is done up here in the cold north to keep the heat off the ceiling without having air blowing down your neck :-)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:03:17 PM by MaryAlana »

scottsAI

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 08:42:04 AM »
Hello SamoaPower,

Thanks for the great story and link!

Have you looked at using desiccant to reduce the humidity?

I found clay desiccant for less than $1/lb. absorbs several times it's weight in water.

Therefore, only a few lb are necessary, slow acting.

Using two trays, one in the sun drying, other indoors absorbing moisture.

Working on an automated solar desiccant system.

Desiccant wheel is the most common way.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 08:42:04 AM by scottsAI »

SamoaPower

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 01:07:03 PM »
Scott,

Thank YOU for that link in your dryer post to the NightCool report. I'm seriously considering implementing this system since I already have a white steel roof. and R38 insulation. Anything to get the air conditioning operating costs down.

Yes, I have also considered solar powered desiccant air conditioning. There is no source of clay desiccant here so am trying to find a source. It'll cost me $2/lb to get it here but that's the usual logistical compromise to living in paradise.

Keep us posted on desiccant results.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 01:07:03 PM by SamoaPower »

wdyasq

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 09:11:51 PM »
Can you get 'cat litter'? I too have read the 'Night Cool' reports and plan on doing a bit with the information.

Ron

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 09:11:51 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

scottsAI

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 09:18:50 PM »
Hello SamoaPower,

Desiccant for less than $2/lb delivered (States). Item 270078337364

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewite
m=&item=270078337364&rd=1&rd=1

At 25lb, probably all you need.

The Dryer post far exceeded my expectations, very happy!

Working on Diary of design, 100whr dryer! With solar. Not worth using Clothesline!

With enough brain power anything is possible even in paradise!

Team work we can do anything, individually well we can do a lot!-)

What state do you live in? I have some other ideas for cooling.

Improvements can be added to NightCooling, like Black roof. Interested in more?

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 09:18:50 PM by scottsAI »

scottsAI

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 09:22:30 PM »
Hello wdyasq,

Good cat litter should be desiccant clay... plus!-)

Nightcool implementation is flawed.. good start.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 09:22:30 PM by scottsAI »

Devo

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 08:31:18 AM »
SamoaPower, what a great topic. I am just wondering would ceiling fan blades be more efficient/move more air with the small taper at the root & the large at the end? Just thinking that as the air moves toward the tips at slow rpm it would accelerate.

Could be wrong though. Summer Heat/Humidity is a huge problem here as well. I have over time had my asthma almost dissapear but unfortunately my son has battled it the last few seasons. 2 Years ago he spent a bit in the hospital very sick , since then we run air conditioning in his room in the summer & the living room which makes a huge difference for him.

Since delving into wind & other energy hobbies I have been trying to wrap my head around effeicient ways to keep the house dryer,cooler & the air cleaner.

Keep up the good work, maybe I will be installing homemade cieling fans to go with my windmills this summer....

Devo

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:31:18 AM by Devo »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 08:32:03 AM »
It's a nice alternative to the expensive 12V fans.  DanF runs one of those in his place and it is very efficient and it's been running non-stop for many years (but it was somewhat expensive).

What you say about blades is interesting - I wonder if it makes that much difference or not.  It probably makes some difference in a ceiling fan but I expect it's small.

In this shop I did a bit of research on that - I found the most efficient thing to be the big 'old fashioned' and heavy 'Hunter' fans - on low speed it draws about 8W.  12V isnt practical for folks like me who run 48V systems where everything pretty much needs 120VAC.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:32:03 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 08:53:55 AM »
I saw the blades a couple years ago, but they are a little larger than I want for a windmill.

The price came down some on the complete fan. It was $250(?) for the only model I saw.

"Tests reveal that the air movement per input watt of the "Gossamer Wind" is nearly twice as great as any evaluated residential ceiling fan on the market"

Lots of info to digest...

http://www.gossamerwind.com/

Samoa,

Good thinking, nice project!

A plastic vase for a decorative motor cover?

G-

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:53:55 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wdyasq

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 10:16:19 AM »
"Improvements can be added to NightCooling, like Black roof."

Not unless you can change Plank's Constant...

ROn

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:16:19 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

SamoaPower

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 02:16:11 PM »
YES! I can get cat litter. Thanks Ron, I should have thought of this myself.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:16:11 PM by SamoaPower »

SamoaPower

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 02:28:07 PM »
Dan,

"It probably makes some difference in a ceiling fan but I expect it's small."

It's really quite large according to the referenced report and confirmed by my own A-B test at the store and here at home. When's the last time you saw a prop driven aircraft with flat blades?

"12V isnt practical for folks like me who run 48V systems ..."

I could make a ten-minute change to the PWM controller to have it run on 24 or 48V.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:28:07 PM by SamoaPower »

SamoaPower

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
Scott,

Many thanks for the source info. It would be more like $3/lb delivered here and they don't ship an acceptable way for me, unfortunately.

"What state do you live in?"

I'm a lot further south than the states. I'm in the U.S. Territory of American Samoa, lying at 14 degrees south latitude in the South Pacific. Just a little dot in a big ocean.

I don't think a "black roof" would be a good move. The daytime absorption would be tremendous. What's really needed is a selective surface with low absorption and high emissivity, just the opposite of what's needed for a solar collector.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:48:18 PM by SamoaPower »

scottsAI

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 09:01:32 PM »
Hello samoapower,

Yep, you can cross off the list the Other ideas:0(

I take it you like it warm? Mid 80's year round:-O

I bet you don't have a hot water heater! My Dad in Florida hardly uses his.

Do you have a well or use rain water? 5-15"/mo lots of rain! Several times more than Michigan, I plan on using rain water for my next house.

For a material that is opaque (that is, it does not allow radiation to pass directly through it), when the emissivity and reflectivity are added together, the sum is one (1). Hence, a material with a high reflectivity has a low emissivity, and vice versa. <Wikipedia>

A good Black body radiator requires a high emissivity and low reflectivity to work:) White metal roof will not do the job very well, most have a high reflectivity, to help keep the roof cool during the day. Conflicting requirements.

If the roof is flat white then maybe it would work. Then it would get hotter during the day. If emissivity is high the absorption will be high.

Black body radiator works best with clear sky's.

Even with your temperatures you could make ice with the right setup.

Totally passive ice maker. Egyptians made it work. So can you!

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:01:32 PM by scottsAI »

Devo

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 07:02:20 AM »
SamoaPower ,can you make a controller that runs off of a 12 volt source but runs a 130 volt dc motor?

Devo.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:02:20 AM by Devo »

SamoaPower

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 01:48:03 PM »
Scott,

It's not so much that I like it hot but more like I intensely dislike the cold - lived too many years in temperate zone winters. Now, after 30 years of acclimatization here, I find anything below 78F chilly. Air conditioning is set to maintain 80F.

You'd lose the bet on a water heater - never could get used to cold showers. Two 40 gallon batch collectors handle it nicely. Saves about $70/mo. on the grid power bill. I was able to amortize the installation in a little over a year.

Your comments on black bodies is fine as far as it goes. What you didn't include are the effects of frequency response and bandwidth.

The classic black body has an infinite bandwidth. Real world materials depart considerably from this. Many are quite wavelength selective and have different frequency responses for both absorption and emissivity.

Since solar radiation energy covers some finite bandwidth and only a portion is in the IR, we could take advantage of certain material's selectivity in both the absorption and the emissivity bands.

The ideal NightCool material would have low absorption in the majority of the solar energy bandwidth and high emissivity at IR wavelengths. I haven't yet looked into what this material might be.

A lot of work has been done on selective surface materials for the opposite application but I'm not yet aware as to how much has been done for this case.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:48:03 PM by SamoaPower »

SamoaPower

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 01:58:21 PM »
Devo,

Concerning blade taper, I think you'd find that optimum design of fan blades to fairly closely parallel that of wind turbine design so that a reverse taper you suggest would not be better.

Yes, it's an on going struggle to try and find ways to offset the continuely increasing energy costs and remain comfortable.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:58:21 PM by SamoaPower »

SamoaPower

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 02:16:18 PM »
Devo,

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Do you want the motor to run on 130Vdc or do you want to run that 130V motor on 12v at a lower speed?

In the former case, it would only take using a higher voltage FET in the controller.

For the latter case, what I have would work as is, but I would question whether  that motor would have much torque at 12V or less. A test directly on 12V would answer that. It may not even run at all.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 02:16:18 PM by SamoaPower »

Devo

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 07:44:33 PM »
I still have those darn 130 volt dc 1/2 hp motors, I wouldn't mind trying a fan conversion but I am not sure how to control the speed of the 130 volt motor from a 12 volt source.

I have had a 4 foot prop on one & with out a diode in the line the 12 volt battery will turn it but I'm not sure the rpm- I will find out tomorrow though as I still have the prop/hub & a motor around.

Devo

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:44:33 PM by Devo »

scottsAI

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »
Hello SamoaPower,

Stopped by Home depot today and looked at ceiling fans.

Two looked like they had an airfoil. One claimed an energy star - 40% savings. Other 10%.

Closer looking they did not have a complete airfoil, only the root was curved like it did, rest of the blade was flat and square. No other fan was listed energy star, surprising considering I stopped by appliances (Fridge, washer, oven...). the sales person said more than half request energy star appliances.

People must think the fans don't draw much so not worth looking into it.

At 45w/hr = 1kwhr per day or $3/month or $36/yr. (here 10 cents/Kwhr)

Anybody else check their local stores?

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:46:30 PM by scottsAI »

bsafe

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 09:54:55 PM »
Are you willing to share your controller schematic? I have a 120v 8amp treadmill motor that I would like to turn into a fan. Thank you. bsafe.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:54:55 PM by bsafe »

SamoaPower

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 11:39:47 PM »
bsafe,

Sorry, I didn't catch this the first time around but I don't think I had drawn the schematic at the time.

The FET can be about anything - the 540 was just handy. I actually don't think the heat sink is necessary at these low currents, but better be safe.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:39:47 PM by SamoaPower »