Author Topic: 10kW Motor Conversion  (Read 2164 times)

ruddycrazy

10kW Motor Conversion
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:49:16 AM »
Hi guys an gals,

Well last saturday at work I finally got around to stripping that 10kw 4 pole motor I scored for nothing and took some pic's. I've made an album in my anotherpower album for the conversion.

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/10kw-motor-conversion

(Hopefully by locating all the pic's there I wont be using to much bandwidth on this server.)

Now as this is my first attempt at a motor conversion I though why start small when this 10kw baby already has 12 wires coming out and weighing in at 64 kg theres a heap of copper packed in there. There's 48 slots in the body and i'm not really sure how it wound so hopefully the master (Zubbly) can chime in and lend me some advise after our intial discussions on this potiental conversion did prove fruitfull.

well thats all for now, when i get started doing the conversion i'll keep the pic's coming in my album and hopefully when its all done I'll have one beautifull wind genny.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:49:16 AM by (unknown) »

zubbly

Re: 10kW Motor Conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 03:08:19 PM »
hi ruddycrazy,

you sure did pick one sweet motor for a conversion. you already have the leads for 1&2 circuit star and delta, so you only have to simply convert the rotor.

some more info on the diameter of the rotor and the length of laminations of the stator would be a good start to get an idea of the magnets needed. for now it looks like 1 inch round by 1/2 inch thick may be a good choice for forming the 4 mag poles needed.

the effective mag pole should span at least the measured span width of 7 stator teeth. 8 teeth is closer to perfect, but anything between the 7 and 8 stator teeth will be great. you also want to be able to cover the full length of the stator lamination set as much as possible.

the simplest way i can say to set the proper skew is to make a mark on the edge of the laminations on the rotor.  draw a line as perfect to paralell with the shaft as you can across the length of the laminations. measure the exact distance from the centre of one stator tooth to the centre of the next tooth. on one end of the rotor laminations, mark that distance from the first line.  that represents the centre distance from one tooth to the next one of the stator laminations. now mark a line from the original line you put on the rotor, to the second mark on the other end of the rotor.  that is your correct skew angle.

hope this helps,

zubbly

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 03:08:19 PM by zubbly »