Author Topic: "Squirrel Cage" VAWT Video !  (Read 5192 times)

CmeBREW

"Squirrel Cage" VAWT Video !
« on: October 09, 2007, 08:53:10 PM »
I finally borrowed my brother's camera today!. Here is a Video of the "Vertigo-SC100" in action! From a distance, you can't even tell it is spinning!

There were some good winds today. (so-called 10-15mph day) The wind in the video is probably around a 12mph. The stator is not complete yet. Hopefully by the weekend it will be. Just got my wire (FINALLY) today.

This Vawt looks big, but it is actually less than 10 square feet swept area. Thats less than my 4' hawt. However, today, this Vawt ran (decent rotation) at least 80 percent of the time,(up to NOW) while my 4' hawt at 23 feet high, turned less than 10 percent of the time. I realize that my 4' (3-blade) Hawt is not one of the best. I plan on making a higher 'solidity' rotor for it soon (4-6 pvc blades), in order to COMPETE it side by side with this new VAWT. I can use two of the same ammeters and have them both at the same height. Should prove to be interesting!

This Vawt proved to be very stable in some fairly big winds today. (my quess:20-25mph gusts)   It is only free-spinning right now, but it sure has the TORQUE! I am very excited about it-- and I love the look of it!!

The video is a BIG file! -Sorry for you dial-up guys. You could take 'till 'doomsday' to upload. I tried a compressed version, but Youtube wouldn't allow it.(??)  Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJb3p2I6gVI

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:53:10 PM by (unknown) »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: "Squirrel Cage" VAWT Video !
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 03:07:22 PM »
Very very nice.

Now that I've overreached myself buying a 1kW PM gen to play with, I have to build some blades as lovely as yours and a bearing/mount for my motor.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:07:22 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 03:07:32 PM »
 Cmebrew

That is cool and cant wait to see what she puts out.You should bring the hawt down next to it but that wouldnt be fair.

Nice video.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:07:32 PM by vawtman »

strider3700

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 04:17:46 PM »
Thats just awesome looking.  If you end up putting out anywhere near half decent numbers I'll be forced to try a copy in my front yard.  Looks great.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:17:46 PM by strider3700 »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 04:25:35 PM »
thats cool..

only took about 7min on dialup..

coundnt really see the rpms--but could hear it when you let your fingers slide across.

what size are the mag rotors?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:25:35 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
couldn't really see the rpms--but could hear it when you let your fingers slide across.

You can't see the RPMs looking at the blades at any point in the video.  Look at the bolts on the bottom hub when he walks in close.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:30:54 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »
Here's a nice comparision

The Airx doesn't know whitch way to turn.I can't tell how much load is on the Vawt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIE5OO78jPU

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:32:11 PM by tecker »

jmk

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »
 Your going to need to have a high speed camera in order to show the actual rpm. It looks so much slower when being filmed with a regular video camera. They shoot so many pictures a min and everything in between gets canceled out. I never really knew how big the difference was till I filmed my HAWT. The blades can look like a solid disk in reality but when filmed it can look as if it's only doing a few rpm. Plus It does the elusion of spinning backwards when at certain rpms. The VAWT isn't changing directions its the way it's being filmed. You can see get the same effect by blinking your eyes as you watch it spin in real life. People beware, when you see all these videos of turbines spinning they are actualy going faster then what is being presented.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:16:18 PM by jmk »

CmeBREW

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »
Thanks guys---JMK is right with what he said. Even though that is an expensive camera ,It was actually going faster (rpm) than the bolts appeared. Like he said, it is the limitation of the frames per second. It was probably going around 200rpm I quess. Sorry I don't have an actual rpm counter or an accurate wind meter.

This Vawt is VERY interesting the way it evidently seems to 'stabalize' and balance ITSELF in higher winds. Can't wait to see what it does in a 50mph gust!

The winds actually picked up some after 3pm. I noticed that AFTER it did, the 'weather channel' for my area moved the wind numbers from 10-15 UP to 10-20mph. That is how I got a few gusts above 20mph.  It would really spin up fast (400+rpm??)and stayed straight and stable. But the winds STILL go UP and DOWN, STOP and GO, all day long like a roller coaster. It always does that.

Just because that Vawt can keep spinning alot in low winds, does NOT mean it is ALWAYS making power, or THAT MUCH power. But I like what I am seeing. With a small system like mine, consistent 'little power' ADDS UP to some pretty good useful power for me. But Of course, it is NOTHING like a 8 or 10' hawt high up in the air for getting good power out of low winds!

I had to tie down the prototype smaller vawt beside it because it was mounted to a very flimsy old 2x4 and was starting to 'sway' back and forth to bad. I will try to show it also next time. It probably goes almost twice as fast rpm.

I am still at best, just a novice concerning matching stators. I hope I can make and match the stator some where in 'the ball park' so as to avoid bad 'stall', or , from the other extremity, only getting a few meezly watts. Cross your fingers!!

I will keep you posted no matter what happens.   -thanks folks!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:10:38 PM by CmeBREW »

Capt Slog

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 03:30:39 AM »
Looking good.

I've never built anything like it, but I had one concern when I saw your other post about this....

What will happen when it starts to really spin up?  

I get the feeling that the middle of the blades (the equator line) will bulge outwards, somewhat in the manner of one of those old steam governers, I think I can already see a little of this in the video . There's nothing to stop this happening, as the only thing separating the end plates is the blades themselves.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:30:39 AM by Capt Slog »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
counting rpm
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 06:09:22 AM »
Capt.Slog is right those blades probably would

bulge out in the middle at higher speeds....

but a simple steel cable around the outside at

the middle or even a fiberglass belt

around the middle...stranded banding tape ?.

An rpm counter? Wrap a spiral band around the

vanes like a barberpole, about 5 turns, your eye

should be able to follow the spiral from bottom to top?

I think.

All unproven theory.

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:09:22 AM by Norm »

disaray1

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 06:15:27 AM »
 Way cool- and very attractive. Looking forward to the output #s.

Fun fun fun!

David

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:15:27 AM by disaray1 »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »
thanks for posting the video

so you have made a windmill that spins, but doesn't look like it's spinning!

thats got to be unique.

up to a point you can estimate rpms by just using a spot of paint or sticking a piece of colored tape to the underside of your base plate.

then just count the number of times it goes by while a friend times it for  one minute.

i haven't tried this but i remember reading about placing a small mag. on the back of a rotor and using a  coil to get a pulse of energy .

apparently some multi meters(not mine) have a frequency setting that could be used to get the rpm.

i recall some guys adapting a bicycle speedometer.

keeping track of the rpm range sure will be handy when you design your stator.

good luck and please keep us informed.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:05:17 AM by electrondady1 »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: counting rpm
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »
Or a third disk like the ones on the ends.

It's a pure drag turbine so it will always be going somewhat slower than the wind at the circumference.  Bulge may not be a problem.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:27:59 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 04:11:23 PM »
Use an aftermarket bicycle speedometer of the magnetic pickup type.

This has been discussed here occasionally.  (You can use the "wheel size" calibration to get the reading to be RPM times some power of 10 so you just need to slide the decimal point.)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 04:11:23 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

CmeBREW

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 06:22:33 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys. Today had winds just like yesterday. (10-20mph)  It performed well. I sure love all the windy days we're getting now!!(and more hours at night too!)  Been waiting patiently ALL summer for this.

That bulging out of the blades is minimal. It goes out alittle but I don't think it will go much further. I will just have to wait and see what it does in a 50mph-70mph  gust. But, for the most part, It still spins straight and stable so far. I don't expect that to be a problem. But you will certainly need a good strong steel/wood pole cemented well in the ground for one of these mills if you intend to NOT use guy wires like myself.(looks better!)

The wood pole its on now is only 30" in the ground packed in dirt and after alot of testing, it is somewhat loose and not very stable!

So when a 20mph+ gust hits the mill, it does 'sway' alittle at first for a few seconds, but then stabilizes.

Yes, these type vawts may not be that Efficient, but they sure are CONSISTENT in lower winds. Personally, I think that is just as important.

BTW, the diameter of the magnet rotors is 11.25 inch.   I got my coil winder done today (but it is NOT a piece of art though) --and will try my best to get that stator done this weekend! I am not that good at coil winding yet!  

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:22:33 PM by CmeBREW »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »
I think it would help to know the RPMs before building the PMA.

Here's 2 quick & short bike speedo RPM stories,

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/10/4/171524/976

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/10/23/65228/280

G-
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:14:30 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller